• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why Can't I Pft Like The Rich Kids Do??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Congrats on your good fortune. You are not typical of young pilots starting a career, however. How many 20 year olds have the good luck of being type rated at employer expense?

As I said, PFT is not for everyone. If you can get the job quickly without spending money, that's great. But instructing and flying night freight for years waiting for that perfect non-PFT job is economically and professionally questionable if you have the opportunity to by-pass those years. Given the choice between a feeling of "accomplishment" and the opportunity for more money and QOL at a younger age, I would always choose the latter. Again, nobody in the real world cares about whether you "paid your dues", and a fuzzy feeling of accomplishment doesn't put money in your pockets. imho:)

As far as I'm concerned, I could care less if someone chose the PFT/PFJ route.. if you have the money and/or are willing to assume the debt, than that's someone's choice. People on this board talk about how it demeans the pilot profession and forces lower wages.

As far as demeaning the profession... well, that is a personal viewpoint. Lower wages (which I think is the real driver behind people's hostility) has little to nothing to do with PFT. It's the throngs of qualified pilots who eagerly line up to take $18k/yr FO slots... basic supply and demand. As long as pilots are taking these jobs, don't ever expect wages to increase, but stop blaming PFT as the element that is breaking the aviation industry.

Snoop Dog says...

"If the ride is mo fly, then you must buy!"

wow, when i read Beach's opinion, i assumed the next 2 pages would be flames. instead i'm surprised and relieved to hear there is another side to this story!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beach...you have huge...tomatos!!!!!!!!!!!! i knew from a couple years of just watching these boards that PFT is considered mostly evil. i'm glad to hear there are voices on both sides. a close friend is starting at gulfstream sept. 7th. $33000. i'm jealous. he's confident he'll be a airline pilot before i get 400 hrs. he's my age and thinks this is the only way to go. so i find myself hating gulfstream a little - because i don't want to empty my savings account...but folks, I HATE IT BECAUSE I JEALOUS he's got the b@lls to spend all that money for just 250hrs!!!!!!!!

question is this...since i'm man enough to admit..and to my buddy's face too...i'm jealous he's paying 33000 for an airline job...is that why most pilots hate it too??? and if that is true, then most hiring departments don't really care?????

and one more question...my buddy will buy 250 hrs of SIC time in a 1900. he has only 260+/_ now. so that means he's a 500hr pilot with only 200 actual pic time. can he EVER upgrade to captain? i'm sorry i'm green about details here and being lazy by asking instead of looking up...but with only 200PIC time, will, let's say ASA ever be able to upgrade him to captain???? if not, then isn't THAT the best reason to NOT PFT?? now if he stays with gulfstream...they would upgrade him, then he can earn pic, right? but they usually don't let their pilots stay so that means he'll never be captain..ever??? the whole PIC SIC upgrade thing is lost to me somehow. i appreciate the help!!

just do it the old fashioned way- work your way up the food chain starting at the bottom:)

Last edited:
He could upgrade to captain after he meets the ATP requirements (all the stuff other than 1500TT) He will need 500pic from somewhere

Da Vinci said:
question is this...since i'm man enough to admit..and to my buddy's face too...i'm jealous he's paying 33000 for an airline job...is that why most pilots hate it too???
Let me get this straight, you are jealous that he is forking out enough money to go buy himself a nice new car to spend a very limited amount of time in the right seat of a 19 seat turboprop? Hahaha. Thats funny.
I can assure you that most of us, myself included, have no jealousy towards someone for making such a foolish and wasteful decision.

Your Questions Sum Up Your Problems

Da Vinci said:
question is this...since i'm man enough to admit..and to my buddy's face too...i'm jealous he's paying 33000 for an airline job...is that why most pilots hate it too??? and if that is true, then most hiring departments don't really care?????

Some many problems with this profession summed up few not so eloquent sentences.

Read what you wrote, think about what you wrote. After that, if you still don't see the foolishness hidden among your impeccable logic, then I have no more to say except that you are a fool.

You've all but admitted to having made up your mind already. I believe everyone has the right to engage in self destructive behavior if they so please. However, this form of behavior has negative effects on everyone else in this industry.

We all have votes in this business. We can vote with our actions and we can vote with are dollars. Your vote is one that reflects on your mentality. For $33,000, you could buy a decent used Pitts; instead you propose to buy a job. You propose to buy a job and force people who have worked hard and done the right thing to share the price. The thought of someone like you buying your way into the industry and someday sharing a cockpit with a retired US Military Aviator, who gained his time while in service of this country rather than with a checkbook, is a disgrace. Yours is a vote of incompetence and it reflects terribly on us all.

NB

more like he's paying 33000 to buy a job. gulfstream has him convinced he WILL get a job when he finishes their program.

as for the 250 hrs...i'm not jealous about that. i'm jealous that he might be a airline pilot while i'm yelling, right rudder right rudder....at some student :)

i'm not trying to flame anyone or be disrepectful. i feel jealousy towards him for having the guts to spend that kind of money...i'm jealous of the quick reward he may get from it. so i asked, is that why so many pilots hate PFT'ers, because they get the good jobs without any of the "right rudder right rudder..." hard work.

your point is not lost to me, however. i'm just trying very hard to get both sides, because i'm very tempted to do both-as in get my CFI and instruct, and then buy time. right now i'm leaning away from buying time, but if it will aid me in reaching my goal, without hurting me in the future, then i feel it is my obligation to investigate it as a viable option.

Da Vinci said:
more like he's paying 33000 to buy a job. gulfstream has him convinced he WILL get a job when he finishes their program.

Think on the above sentence good and hard.

Da Vinci said:
as for the 250 hrs...i'm not jealous about that. i'm jealous that he might be a airline pilot while i'm yelling, right rudder right rudder....at some student :)

We know. You have already established the fact that instructing is beneath you.

Da Vinci said:
i'm not trying to flame anyone or be disrepectful. i feel jealousy towards him for having the guts to spend that kind of money...i'm jealous of the quick reward he may get from it. so i asked, is that why so many pilots hate PFT'ers, because they get the good jobs without any of the "right rudder right rudder..." hard work.

You need help if those are your honest feelings on the matter.

Da Vinci said:
your point is not lost to me, however. i'm just trying very hard to get both sides, because i'm very tempted to do both-as in get my CFI and instruct, and then buy time. right now i'm leaning away from buying time, but if it will aid me in reaching my goal, without hurting me in the future, then i feel it is my obligation to investigate it as a viable option.

"Your point is not lost to me." Apparently it is.

"...without hurting me in the future." We have already established that it will hurt you, and your peers, now and in the future.

I'm done with this thread. You have demonstrated the cognitive abilities of a piece of decomposing granite. Good luck shopping for your "job"-if you haven't purchased it already.

NB

Latest resources

Back