Why Can't I Pft Like The Rich Kids Do??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Da Vinci

OK-FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm studying right now to get my CFI so i can earn my way into ...somewhere...the hard and 'respected' way. so i'm not looking to get flamed here but i have a friend who is older like me...he's in his early 30's and he told me something that makes A LOT of sense...so i'm only asking those that have hiring position or that really KNOW about hiring of pilots for their opinion.

my friend said, HR departements frown on YOUNG pilots (kids-like the teenager that was right seat on a recent biz trip i took) who buy time...because they are young and should get experience. he said his 'source' advised him when older guys...myself...buy time, it's ok because we have already 'earned' our way in life and it is acceptable for us to try and accelerate our career by buying time.

so i have the means to buy 500 hours in most jets (eaglejet.net) without taking out a loan - is it REALLY the curse some of you guys say it is?? even for older guys? i'm 31 and every student in my CFI class is like 8 years younger. i'm looking for constructive feedback on this...'hot'...subject.

thanks

Da Vinci said:
he said his 'source' advised him when older guys...myself...buy time, it's ok because we have already 'earned' our way in life and it is acceptable for us to try and accelerate our career by buying time.
That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. You've "earned" your way in life??? What have you earned that places you above and beyond the skill level of a younger guy with comparable training??? If someone's flying me around, I want to know that person knows how to fly. I could care less about their age or whatever irrelevant things they've "earned" in life.

Da Vinci

Keep working on the CFI and take some of that money burning a hole in your pocket, and get some actual IFR / PIC experience first. With your 300+ hours, adding 500 hrs of jet right seat time won't mean much at any age. You need PIC time before anybody is going to look seriously at jet time either earned or payed for. Besides don't the jet pft guys require 1000 hrs min?

As for the age question, I have found, and heard from an HR employee at a major regional, that like anything else it depends. Like any kind of preference or prejudice, age can be a factor. All things being equal, some regionals like older guys because there is a higher probability of them being more responsible, and more knowledgeable from their extra years of experiences. Plus they are less likely to bolt for a few extra bucks or for the majors. Corporate departments usually like older guys because the execs they fly like middle age pilots in the cockpit. But this is not true just because of age. You also need the experience at any age.

You need to get to 1200hrs minimum with as much PIC and Instrument as possible. Then if you can, go get a bunch of turbine training with an ATP.

I can't imagine many employers are going to be excited to hire a guy with less than 1000TT just because he went and bought 500 hrs in the right seat of a jet. On the other hand at 2000TT with a bunch of PIC, it might be a whole different story.

Good luck.

get a job!

Even with 500 hrs right seat time, you're still pretty much worthless (no offense). Right seat time just isn't worth much, even more so with low total time. As far as having "earned something" just for being 30, don't kid yourself.

Pft

Da Vinci,

I'm currently selling my heavy jet time at a reduced rate. I'll fly it and you log it. If you're going to give money away it might as well be to me that collects. Let me know.

I agree with everyone else, jet time is useless unless you have some decent total time to back it up (>1000hrs). Start by getting 100-150 hrs Multi time, then work on getting the total time up there.

Da Vinci said:
OK-FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm studying right now to get my CFI so i can earn my way into ...somewhere...the hard and 'respected' way. so i'm not looking to get flamed here but i have a friend who is older like me...he's in his early 30's and he told me something that makes A LOT of sense...so i'm only asking those that have hiring position or that really KNOW about hiring of pilots for their opinion.

my friend said, HR departements frown on YOUNG pilots (kids-like the teenager that was right seat on a recent biz trip i took) who buy time...because they are young and should get experience. he said his 'source' advised him when older guys...myself...buy time, it's ok because we have already 'earned' our way in life and it is acceptable for us to try and accelerate our career by buying time.

so i have the means to buy 500 hours in most jets (eaglejet.net) without taking out a loan - is it REALLY the curse some of you guys say it is?? even for older guys? i'm 31 and every student in my CFI class is like 8 years younger. i'm looking for constructive feedback on this...'hot'...subject.

thanks

A more clear and concise way of asking that quesiton would to be to say: "Hey, why can't I f**k you all in the arse too? All the rich kids are doing it." If you want to pay employers to take a job from a paid professional and sell it to you, go for it. It is a free country after all. You probably won't get spit on by most of the REAL PROFFESIONALS you meet, but you will definately be deserve it if they did. If you do that sort of thing, then you deserve the worst. PFT'ers might as well chit in a box and UPS it out to all the furghloughees out there. If you want to be another punk who has a mid-life crisis and decides to take a second morgtage so he can buy some poor chaps job, go for it.

Da Vinci said:

thanks

I don't get this moronic PFT logic. If you want to fly so bad then buy your own plane, not a job. The employer is supposed to be paying you (no matter how old and stupid you are), not the other way around

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back