Why Can't I Pft Like The Rich Kids Do??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Da Vinci said:
OK-FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm studying right now to get my CFI so i can earn my way into ...somewhere...the hard and 'respected' way. so i'm not looking to get flamed here but i have a friend who is older like me...he's in his early 30's and he told me something that makes A LOT of sense...so i'm only asking those that have hiring position or that really KNOW about hiring of pilots for their opinion.

my friend said, HR departements frown on YOUNG pilots (kids-like the teenager that was right seat on a recent biz trip i took) who buy time...because they are young and should get experience. he said his 'source' advised him when older guys...myself...buy time, it's ok because we have already 'earned' our way in life and it is acceptable for us to try and accelerate our career by buying time.

so i have the means to buy 500 hours in most jets (eaglejet.net) without taking out a loan - is it REALLY the curse some of you guys say it is?? even for older guys? i'm 31 and every student in my CFI class is like 8 years younger. i'm looking for constructive feedback on this...'hot'...subject.

thanks
just work your way up from the bottom...it will be good for you. forget age issues...if you are meant to be a 747 capt it will happen:D

this is clearly a sensative issue. my history is in the corporate environment. seriously, you do whatever you need to get ahead. you don't 'look out' for anyone...just yourself. so please don't think my intentions are to 'steal' anyones job. it's just to get ahead quicker. it seems pilots are more sensative about exactly what getting ahead means...and i'm trying to make sure i don't shoot myself in my own foot.

imagine your 30 before finally deciding to follow your real passion, you're jobless for the first time in 13 years....your eager to start...eaglejet sends you paperwork offering 500 in this or that for 20K+...it's tempting. i'm just being honest, ok?

my money was hard earned...and i'm eager to start making it again. i am choosing the CFI route...but i was thinking of getting CFI, teaching for 300 hrs and then buying time. it seems if so many of you 'real pilots' and by that i mean guys earning a living flying...feel this strongly...it would be a huge reason for me to avoid this completely. that was the intent of my email. i know people hate it...but was was wondering if there is a way to do it correctly...and not be hated.

that answer seems NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can ONLY assume pilots on this forum represent other pilots opinions and if that is correct...i should run not walk from the idea completely.

This is flame. Talk to a 15 year USair pilot flying a jet for $50.00/hr, and tell them you've earned your way in life. Sounds like you really don't have a grasp on anything remotely close.

If you really want to get ahead that fast, buy a C-152 and use that to quickly build your time. If you BUY 500 hours of jet time from some PFT place for 20K, that's $40/hr. If you bought a C-152 and flew at econ cruise, you could get the operating cost that low. If you get someone to go along with you as a safety pilot and split the cost, that would be even better. Jet time looks good in the logbook, I'll give you that. However, at 1000 hours total time, I think 500 pic in a c-152 looks better than 500 sic in a jet. If your goal is to get a job at 1000 hrs, I think you would be much better off flying the 152. PIC time is important for getting the first job. Also think of this, if you do the PFT program and get hired right away, you wouldn't be able to make captain because you wouldn't meet the ATP flight experience requirements.

I made the mistake of getting typed in the CE-500 and CE-525 when I was low time. The training was done in the airplane, which was a lot of fun, and was a great experience. I had VA benefits to use, and that is why I got the type, but it still cost quite a bit of money out of my pocket. I thought that having a type rating would somehow make up for my lack of total time. I quickly found out how wrong I was. I had a couple places offer me an 'opportunity' to fly with them, as they needed a typed SIC, however, they were not willing to pay me. Forget that!! There were a couple places that would be interested, after I had 1200TT. When I had my first interview with a regional, it was 2 years after the citation training. He wanted me to talk about the systems of the jet, but after 2 years of not flying the plane, I had forgotten almost everything about it. Like I said before, jet time without total time is worthless.

Instruct for a while, then go to Air Cargo Carriers or someplace like that (talked to a right seater in the Shorts the other day, said he got hired at 500hrs). He said he is flying 50+ hrs a month. At that rate, you will build your time very quickly. As a matter of fact, if you do that, you will pass me in total time in two years or so...and I've been doing this corp. thing for 2.5 years now. With that time, you will be employable just about anywhere. Or, just instruct for 300hrs, go to the airlines, some are hiring with 600 TT. Maybe I'm not clear, but what would the purpose be to buy 500hrs in a jet when you could get hired low time and fly turbine equipment? What is your dream job that can't wait another two years while you build experience without spending your money? In aviation, you will probably want to hang onto that 20K that's burning the hole in your pocket b/c you will need it to subsidize your income during the early stages of your career.

If you are ever "lucky" enough to find a shortcut, you will just be shortcutting yourself.

I know, it's almost a cliche. I had a much longer post all prepared but it can be boiled down to basically the sentence above. Think about it.

Latest resources

Back