Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why be so quick to report "traffic in sight" ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yank why are you concerned with the creditability of Bernoulli when you can plaininy see that the point of his question is based on a bigger picture rather than the small details? I'm not saying it isn't important to get as many facts straight as possible, but why bust his balls? You feel more important after satisfying your ego?

I feel for your FO.

If it is obvious to you, then call the traffic in sight. Otherwise, you're just being a jerk to the controller who then has to keep saying, "Traffic 12 o'clock 5 miles...Traffic 12 o'clock 4 miles...Traffic 12 o'clock 3 miles...", etc. They don't have time to be doing that, but they are required to keep giving you alerts until you have the traffic in sight.

"As soon as I report traffic in sight I then must take on the complete responsibility for separation.."

WRONG...you have to also advise you are taking corrective action, or I have to continue giving you traffic.

"Why should I do that when there is an ATC guy who can help me just in case I get busy and loose sight of that traffic? "

Because I am busier than you..if you see the traffic, call it in sight. If you want to play go IFR. Don't be a jerk

NO...do not be too quick to call traffic in sight. It's dangerous, especially in high-traffic areas. In our ops, both pilots must have the traffic (as well as the airport) before it's called "in-sight." On the east coast or in heavy traffic areas, we won't call it, no reason too. Or, when you reply to ATC's directions of where to look for traffic, you can say, you have traffic at our x o clock and at our xx o clock (if their close to where he called the other traffic. More often than not, he will come back with, follow traffic at xx o clock.

Long story short, no don't call too quickly...it benefits no one if you have the wrong traffic in sight.

I was IFR in VFR conditions last year south of INDY and fly right under (200ft) a Sarartoga. I told approach about it and he said sorry 'bout that but you are in a blind spot on our radar. Apparently I was to low for the coverage, but they never told me they lost me like they usually do. It woke me up that IFR still doesn't mean jack for separation unless you're in the clouds, even then I had a close call coming into a feild that was IFR with a 152 in the pattern. He was illegal and scudded out of there.

We should start a thread, "The Top Ten Reasons I Love TCAS".

I think this has already been covered in the airline vs 172 midair in the 70's, S California, no? The passjet reported seeing the wrong a/c?
It's a system deficiency for sure.
Los Cerritos?

Last edited:
In and out of the clouds its allways the traffic he doesnt call out that i see! me " uhh aproach is there supposed to be a c-130 right below me?!?!? atc "traffic passing 500 feet below you no factor.."

Singlecoil said:
If it is obvious to you, then call the traffic in sight. Otherwise, you're just being a jerk to the controller who then has to keep saying, "Traffic 12 o'clock 5 miles...Traffic 12 o'clock 4 miles...Traffic 12 o'clock 3 miles...", etc. They don't have time to be doing that, but they are required to keep giving you alerts until you have the traffic in sight.

I dont think the other guys point was to be obnoxious and be a jerk to atc. A good point was brought up that in a high traffic area with hazy conditions, the traffic you are supposed to follow can be mistaken for another aircraft. Their point was to not call it out prematurely. If you are not in fact certain that is the aircraft that atc is calling out, it would be unwise and dangerous to say you have them in sight.

Latest resources

Back