• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who would aspire to work for AA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the real shock for all of the Legacies will come in the quality of the applicant that they receive. The last time AA, UAL, NWA and DAL sent out invites, they were choosing from the best of the best. Not anymore.

This time when they start going through the piles of apps (@$100 each), they will come to the realization that all of the top tier folks have already been absorbed by FEX, UPS and SWA.

Now how many new hires would choose AA or DAL over CAL?

What defines who's the best of the best? You sound like a prejudiced military flyer but your avatar reads otherwise (no offense to mil pilots). I think a high quality applicant is rather guaranteed, a CA with at least 1000 Jet PIC (or is that not enough in your book?). Remember there are thousands of RJ and frac CA's just biding their time, not wanting a continental cross country commute when they could wait for their local legacy to hire again.

Myself, I'm from flyover country (central plains), so I'd go to AA to fly a silver S80 ('stupid 80') in a heartbeat.

I think what you are seeing is from the inside (or furloughed) is a reduction in pay, QOL and benefits from what it used to be at AA. Looking in from the outside, I can't see the reductions - I can only compare it to my current job. When I do that - AA looks like a better place.

I think guys from the regionals or other places might look at AA as a great place - especially if they live in one of the bases.

Ahhh, but, when will AA's pension disappear?
That would only speed up retirements, thus meaning faster upgrades. As much as would hate to see it disappear, I'am currently preparing my "C" fund. You know the "I got MINE" mentality.

Ahhh, but, when will AA's pension disappear?

That depends on whether the rest of the ALPA and union carriers get one in their next contract..

That depends on whether the rest of the ALPA and union carriers get one in their next contract..

I think the only improvements to pensions at those carriers that have had their DB plans stripped is an increase in the amount contributed to the DC plan by the company.

Not bad if you're just starting out but for mid to high seniority guys, it won't help much.

DB plans are done. JMO.

Thanks to everyone posting. This is exactly what I was looking for when I started this. TC

The best "job' is the one you "have". If your "looking" then its the one that calls and offers first. If AA looks better to somebody thats 'their' problem. Not every one drew pictures of shiny AA jets back in 1983 and pined for "the day I get to be an AA pilot" .My guess is the best day at AMR is your first. Then its all down hill.
FEX-UPS- They are almost 9/11 proof......jmofwiw

Let's not forget one other piece of the puzzle. When I got hired by AA, about 30% of Air Force pilots were accepting the bonus and staying in the military. Right now, the bonus acceptance rate is at about 70-80%.

Although cargo and LCCs are hiring right now, it is just too uncertain to get out. With the bonus, AF pilots make over $100,000 a year as a major. So, there has to be something pretty good to lure them out of the military. Knowing that the industry is in chaos and that they might not get hired by anyone, most AF guys are going for the sure thing.

However, if all of the airlines - legacy, LCC and cargo - start hiring again the bonus take rate may drop down to previous levels. When this happens, the market will once again be flooded with military pilots who have tons of jet PIC.

Also, the bonus used to last until 20 years of military service. The new bonus, however, only lasts until 14 years of service. So, the guys who elected to take the 5 year bonus will be ready to get out again in about 2-3 years - right when everyone will be hiring. Also, these guys will be ridiculously qualified for the airlines after staying in an extra 5 years. They will have at least 3500 military jet hours with 2500 hours of jet PIC and 2000 hours of military instructor time.

To the civilians on here, these hours probably sound low. But don't forget, we are comparing apples to oranges. Most fighter/trainer pilots get hired with about 1500 total hours. Most tanker/transport/bomber guys get hired with about 2500 total hours. Obviously, the civilian numbers are higher. One reason is that most civilian guys get a lot of non-jet hours and a lot of non-PIC hours. All the airlines really care about is jet PIC. If you are flying an F-16, for example, you are logging jet PIC from day one.

IMHO, the military floodgates will be opening again soon and there will be a ton of super-qualified military guys getting hired.

Last edited:
What does the future hold?

AA's CASM is high compared to the LCCs.
LCC competition is increasing.
AA has $20 Billion in debt.
AA has lost a large percentage of the first class passengers of the '90s.
Aprey is so brilliant, the concessionary contracts of '03 were right out of his masters thesis.
AA's corporate culture is flawed.

Is there a recession coming in '07?
The next recession will be hard on AA.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back