• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who would aspire to work for AA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The supply and demand curve is shifted way in favor of mainline management. However, certain fences will have to be put up against leaving regional pilots in a major hiring boom. I wouldn't be surprised if the ERAU captain program people went straight to the mainline.

I agree with you however, there is one wild card. The starry eyed SJS guys will look at regionals to stay in the long run. I really don't know if a seven year RJ Captain will want to make a move to ANY major and start from the bottom again or go to a place such as Virgin America. They MIGHT be more selective in where they decide to go.

I gladly left a regional after 8 years and don't regret it for a second. Took a small paycut first year overall but that's factoring in training pay. Once I was out on line my monthly income was on average equal to or greater than what I was making my last year as a CRJ Captain. After 12 months I was making much more than before I left. I know LOTS of people from my old regional with 5 to 10+ years seniority trying to get to a major.

I gladly left a regional after 8 years and don't regret it for a second. Took a small paycut first year overall but that's factoring in training pay. Once I was out on line my monthly income was on average equal to or greater than what I was making my last year as a CRJ Captain. After 12 months I was making much more than before I left. I know LOTS of people from my old regional with 5 to 10+ years seniority trying to get to a major.

Very, very, very, very true. A LOT of people want out.

It just had me thinking of a talk I was having with a E-170 Captain at Republic. He started out flying the JBall at CHQ and moved his way up. He has great seniority and has through the course of our conversation has said the ONLY place he would leave to go to would be Southwest. He said he could care less if the majors started hiring he just wanted to go to Southwest.

Obviously, things change, just wondering how true that would be if the majors opened up.

I do agree with you, when the majors start hiring again for every one pilot slot they will probably have 7,000 applicants for that single slot!

Last edited:
In my "TWA" opinion. (I'm kidding, I'm kidding) I think they will have a lot of qualified applications and once again people will be knocking down the door to try and get on there. The airline industry is cyclical and AA is rebounding pretty well and (as much as I hate to admit it :) ) very well managed.

They have almost 6 billion dollars in the bank and the only "passenger" airline with a full pension still intact. I can almost guarantee the pay will be going up as well. If you started this career to be an airline pilot you would be nuts to turn down a job at AA because of how they look in 2006.

Last edited:
All the airlines suck these days, what makes yours so much worse?

I agree..that's right, all the airlines suck right now.

It's all relative. Of course all the regional guys are crying, but believe it or not, I've even heard FedEx guys bitching about stuff. Go figure.

I'd definately go to AA. The fact that lots of pilots are quitting AA right now is fine with me; I hope they find greener pastures elsewhere and they get what they're looking for. But why should I stay at my sucky airline where the top captain only makes $80,000 per year, when I can spend my career at AA and after I upgrade at least retire making a six figure income. Even if I dont upgrade in even 15 years or so, a 15 year AA f/o still makes more than a senior captain makes at my airline. Regarding how mgmt treats you, AMR mgmt is no worse than most of these cheap a$$ regionals or even my specific airline. Remember, JMHO.

Everybody wants to go to CAL now, it'll be different in 5 years. MAybe AA will be the place to be again.

I hate to break it ya, but everyone wanting to go to CAL couldn't be further from the truth. I know plenty of folks that are aggresively pursuing FDX, UPS, SWA, and JBL. And as posted already, I think Delta will start hiring soon (heard that as well from Delta guys in my unit). I thoroughly am enjoying CAL so far and its long range vision is extremely bright, but there are plenty of professional pilots with FDX on their agenda as number 1.

AA's got a very long way to go. Still about 2000 on furlough if I've heard correctly. Don't count your chickens too quickly just yet.

Sadly, no matter how far the pay and work rules have fallen, there will be no shortage of applicants to any legacy. In an age when Virgin America will have a line out the door of eager applicants, do you really think an AA or UAL won't be able to find a few hundred starry eyed SJS afflicted 20 somethings a year? Yeah, I forgot, the impending pilot shortage, right? I won't be long until we see new "United scantron question" threads again.

In other words, the youtube videos will stay the same except the equipment is going to be mainline and not regional.

I agree..that's right, all the airlines suck right now.

It's all relative. Of course all the regional guys are crying, but believe it or not, I've even heard FedEx guys bitching about stuff. Go figure.

Not me, I love my job. You'll always have a few glass is half empty folks, but most of us realize our glass is way past half full.

Latest resources

Back