Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Not flame bait and if any current AA/TWA starts one I'll delete the thread. (I want to hear from disinterested parties.)

Here's the scenario: The other legacies are hiring. You know from airlinepilotcentral.com what the pay is and roughly what the QOL is from here. AA opens up hiring after recalling everyone and whoever bypasses for 3 years has done so.

Where does AA fit on the list?

My reason for asking this is the fact that Eagle can barely field a class and AA's working conditions (staffing, reserve, upgrade potential, disharmony with the AA v. TWA lingering, etc.) not being the best in the world don't place it too far ahead of Eagle.

Thanks in advance. TC

Eagle can't find people only because they have long upgrades and seemingly infinite reserve times, at majors especially legacies that's not much of a problem because you're expecting a long upgrade and pay at AA for FOs is decent, at least better than a regional CA.

The problem for AA and other legacies is the question of who is going to be dumb enough to fly for them after what has happened the last few years. All you need is another 9/11.

Last edited:
I'd rather piss on an electric fence than work for AMR again. I was involved in the epic Crandall whipsaw wars at Eagle back in the mid 90's and can't really see any difference in the management style being used today.

All the airlines suck these days, what makes yours so much worse?

Just looking for the perception from those outside of AA (and a little cheap entertainment ;) ). TC

It's supply and demand. Someone will want it. With their current attrition rates, it would be ideal for someone around 25 years old, my guess is that's all you will see with the future new hires.

I think the real shock for all of the Legacies will come in the quality of the applicant that they receive. The last time AA, UAL, NWA and DAL sent out invites, they were choosing from the best of the best. Not anymore.

This time when they start going through the piles of apps (@$100 each), they will come to the realization that all of the top tier folks have already been absorbed by FEX, UPS and SWA. They will also realize that this time around, no one will be leaving any of those to come to a legacy. Five years ago who would have left DAL or AA for CAL? Now how many new hires would choose AA or DAL over CAL? This is something that the egos of the legacy hiring departments have not had to deal with. I can't wait until they start fielding the, "sorry I can't make my new hire initial slot, Airtran has offered me a slot and I live in ATL". Five years ago that phone call never happened.

This will no doubt lead to more costs in the recruiting department(look for that $100 app to go hirer), more washouts in the sims, longer IOE times, more no shows, more new hires leaving as soon as UPS or luv calls, yada yada. You can try and tell them this ahead of time but they like typical airline mgt they will need to discover this on their own.

Last edited:
I've got an interview with a respectable heavy international operator next week.. if hired, I'll have officially given up on AMR.

Ok, I'll bite I guess....

AA is on my list, mainly because of the ORD base. I live in MKE, don't want to move, and would prefer to not commute for the rest of my career when I move up and out of the regionals. This pretty much leaves AA, UAL and SWA. It will be a while before I'm competative for any of those guys, so I haven't reseached them too hard yet. The biggest thing I'm looking for is being able to be domiciled near home.

I shall take a bite on this one (just an FYI I am posting under my friends username so disregard the profile)

I would go to AA in a heartbeat.

About me, I am 24 years old, working for an all turboprop company and am looking to upgrade in two months or so to left seat of a Beech 1900. I REFUSE to work for a race to the bottom RJ company, and am enjoying my life and job. I like the company I work for, however, my ultimate goal is to work for a legacy.

I am hoping that those at RJ companies will get comfy in their left seat, with 18 days off, not having to commute, not wanting to go on reserve, and not wanting to take the pay cut, will leave opportunities for guys who are more flexiable, coming from other operations, the chance to gobble up these legacy jobs. I want my first jet that I fly to be an MD-88, 737, 757, etc., not a barbie jet :)

After flying around the Northeast in a Beech 1900, I feel as if I am 'paying my dues' to move on to greener pastures. Like I said, I really enjoy my job, however I COMPLETELY understand that airline industry is a $hitty one to be in, no matter how you cut it. Those that have been at the legacy carriers have constantly been kicked in the nuts numerous times and it sucks. If I have that mindset going into my next job, which I hope is a legacy job, such as AA, than I figure I will be all right. I'll make sure I save for my own retirement, start some other sides stuff that I hope can support me when/if I get furloughed, and marry a T.F.B. (Trust Fund Baby :) ).

Last edited:
I'll be applying, AA would be my first choice, mainly because I want MIA base.

It's all a cycle. Everybody wants to go to CAL now, it'll be different in 5 years. MAybe AA will be the place to be again.

Latest resources

Back