Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who won and is doing the Frontier flying in DEN?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For SKywest, what about the non-compete clause for United out of Denver? It is my understanding SKywest will not likely get the frontier flying b/c of that. Station manager in DEN at Skywest said Republic is the likely winner with 170 or 175s.

SkyWest would be bidding for the flying under the ASA certificate. We're not restricted by the United clause.

I agree that E190s at ASA are a long shot, however I don't believe that RAH will be the only regional operator of the E170 family forever. The question is if 20 planes is enough to justify adding another fleet type for another airline.

I had LeBrequec on my Jumpseat two weeks ago and asked him about the Frontier flying. He said he didn't think we would get it because it was E-190 flying and they would probably choose someone who is already flying it

Well ,if LiarBrecque told you that it MUST be true. I'm surprised he didn't also throw in the obligatory "if only our pay rates were a little lower, we might get it".

I'm not sure the argument about the CRJ versus EMB flying (meaning ASA wouldn't do it if it was E170/190 flying) isn't really all that valid anymore. Look at CHQ with CRJ's for CO when all they had were ERJ's....Yes Yes I know it's smaller and more are available but don't discount it just on airplanes do it on Bag handling, or is that miss-handling!!! Wasn't that our currents CEO responsibility pre his promotion?

Skywest already has a whole network set up in Denver, Republic, I believe, do not. That's costly to initiate. I don't believe Frontier pays for that sort of thing (setting up bases, etc.) Not sure how Frontier compensates there. It's no secret the E170 is an expensive airplane to operate, however, passengers LOVE it. Maybe that's why Frontier wants it so badly. They are a low cost carrier, and you'd think they would want cheaper flying. Frontier will operate the 2 aircraft Horizon are sending back in January (replace with Airbus). As far as I know, Horizon will be out of Denver as of Dec. 2007.

Trojan

I doubt the "network set up" is going to stop other airlines from bidding. It may be costly, but what does Frontier care if they dont have to pay for the set (as you mentioned)? I would assume Frontier owned the gates, not horizon. Thats the biggest obstacle.

I dont know who is going to get the flying. But to think skywest/asa will get it just because they are already set up there is a bit silly, no?

From the time this was first announced, the process of selection has definitely drug out. This could lead one to surmise that the bids have come in higher than Frontier expected, leading to continued negotiations to get them lowered. It is logical to think that ASA (skywest) would have an inside track with their support infastructure already in place. However, the reliability factor of the current ASA operations surely must be a major consideration in the selection process.

CHQ on the other hand has the public's more favored small jet. Many have commented on its' preference when flying routes longer than 1.5 hours. But will Republic be willing to accept a less than 10% return on their investment? This has to be an obstacle to the CHQ bid.

Frontier is scheduled to take delivery of five 318s between February and May which will help in cover some of the early loss of Horizon's departing planes. But beginning in September the pull down of Horizon craft begins in earnest and if Frontier expects to have their small jet switchover successful a selection needs to be made soon. Otherwise, it becomes a logistics challenge for the new regional operator and a mainline scheduling cauldron for Frontier.

"However, the reliability factor of the current ASA operations surely must be a major consideration in the selection process."

When will you guys get it through your heads....ASA's operational performance stems from the difficulties of the worlds busiest airport in a crazy weather area, and from the lack of work ethic in the employee pool, coupled with the understaffing in such a busy operation. With a small operation in DEN, hiring from that hiring pool out of a lesser congested airport with the mailine partner NOT trying to shove 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag, ASA will perform as well as CHQ/REP, Horizon, Skywest or anybody else......just as they would have the same challenges ASA faces in ATL.

"However, the reliability factor of the current ASA operations surely must be a major consideration in the selection process."

When will you guys get it through your heads....ASA's operational performance stems from the difficulties of the worlds busiest airport in a crazy weather area, and from the lack of work ethic in the employee pool, coupled with the understaffing in such a busy operation. With a small operation in DEN, hiring from that hiring pool out of a lesser congested airport with the mailine partner NOT trying to shove 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag, ASA will perform as well as CHQ/REP, Horizon, Skywest or anybody else......just as they would have the same challenges ASA faces in ATL.

You know what they say about excuses....

Let me juice this rumor a little more.

I heard that ASA management is no longer seeking dual qualification.

Suppose they knew we were going to be the EMB-170/190 carrier under the SKYW umbrella. Then it would make sense that they no longer want dual qualification or same pay rates.

79% I don't think Frontier gives a rats a$$ where the airline is based. Assuming they did care are we to believe that ORD is a slow airport without weather problems?

One of the problems that F9 apparently had, was the difference in service between the Airbus and the CRJ - Horizon is a good product, but they aren't cheap and people didn't like getting off a bus and onto a CRJ.
F9 wants something that is going to feel more like a comparable standard in service. As for someone else operating the EMBs, sure - it's bound to happen, but Bedford has/had all the options tied up (I don't know if this is still the case) and only JetBlue has comparable operating experience - these are not like ERJs or CRJs, they are finicky aircraft and can tie your operation in knots if you don't know them well enough.

Latest resources

Back