Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who is the Pinnacle Captain denying Jumpseat??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Instead of denying a jumpseater, why not call maintenance to come out and service the 02 so he/she could've been accommodated? Duh

Not sure about all airlines, but if we have to get the O2 serviced there can be no pax's on board. So if you find out you have JS'er 20 minutes prior with pax's already on board you are in a tough spot.

Generally we don't find out about a JS'er till after the boarding has begun. So MX control will just MEL the jumpseat, instead of taking a delay.

If it occurs at an outstation without MX, you have no choice.

Last edited:
According to the post on the XJ ALPA boards, it was a CASS issue and the Captain didn't want to be bothered with it so he sent the FO up to break the bad news. Wont name any names here but it sounded the norm for Capt Jacka$$.

I'm a commuter and will do everything I can to help another guy out but refusing an aircraft that has a perfectly good/legal MEL seems a bit over the top to me.

Theres plenty of Jacka$$ at every airline, not just 9E. XJ has plenty of them that deny J/S for alot less.

I'm a commuter and will do everything I can to help another guy out but refusing an aircraft that has a perfectly good/legal MEL seems a bit over the top to me.

Just because an MEL is "perfectly good/legal" does not mean it is in the best interests of safety to operate with the discrepancy.

Ever try to operate manual pressurization in IMC with a deferred automatic controller? It's a deferrable discrepancy, i.e., "perfectly good/legal MEL." Is it an unsafe distraction for the the PNF? You bet.

How about a deferred autopilot/flight director with 6 legs in IMC on a 12 hour duty day? (I know, lots of planes don't have either, but you are accustomed to it.) It's a perfectly good/legal MEL, but not consistent with adequate margins of safety.

All perfectly legal deferrals are not a good idea. I don't care what management would have you believe.

You're right. There are absolutely things you must consider with every MEL. My point is that it doesn't make much sense to delay a flight because you don't have enough O2 for the jumpseater. What would be your explanation to the Mx department for not taking the aircraft in that situation?

I've gotta say, I use Pinnacle and NWA mainline almost exclusively to get to work out of DTW. I have always been treated very well, whether in the front or the back. I've had crews go out of their way to get me on. I've always appreciated what they have done and it makes my commute a little less stressful.

Now, some of the gate agents in DTW (for Pinnacle)are another story altogether.

I heard a 9E captain denied the jumpseat to a Mesaba guy trying to get home to DSM this weekend? Is this true? His excuse (as told by the FO who had to deliver the bad news to the pilot standing at the gate) was they did not have enough O2. Is that true. Not enough O2. Is this a common problem with the CRJ 200? What a tool...

It was probably the same c*** sucker that gave me IOE a couple of years back. Some ex navy a$$hole.

The Pinnacle captains intials are R.N. The reason was a Cass Issue on a full flight. Captain R.N. had his fo tell the xj Captain that cass denied him, R.N. checked it himself. XJ guy calls XJ to confirm this, XJ said all was ok. XJ pilot tells gate agent, gate agent tells XJ pilot that even if he did check it and it was ok, R.N. demanded he see it on the screen for himself. Agent goes down to plane, agent comes back tells XJ pilot that Captain R.N. will not come up and look....XJ pilot commutes home on FedEX 2.5 hrs later....confirming that his Cass status was OK.

A very lame and cowerdly way to deny a jumpseat

The XJ and 9E unions are working on this issue ASAP to stop any jumpseat wars...thanks to this guy Captain R.N.

Latest resources

Back