• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who has a motorcycle?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I highly recommend getting your feet wet with a used Kawasaki Ninja 250. I say used because you'll likely drop it a time or two and you won't shed as many tears if you've only spent $1500 on it instead of $3200 as for a new one.

The small Ninja will easily get you on and off the freeway (despite what your peers may say), have plenty of power to keep up with any traffic, and still get over 50 mpg. It's lightweight and a VERY forgiving bike for newbies. There's not a better bike for the price. I have a friend who just finished a 30 day, 29 state, 10,000 mile venture on his 250, so don't listen to anyone that says it can't do long distance either.

I also have a Ninja 650. I decided to get a larger bike that was more comfortable on the highway. The 250 does great, but at higher RPMs which translate to a little more vibrations, i.e. fatigue, over a long trip. I love the 650 for different reasons than I loved the 250. It's still a twin, so if I twist my wrist to much too fast it's not going to buck me off like a 4 cyl will.

The largest bike in my stall a Suzuki GSX-R600. I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they learn on a 600cc supersport, especially when there are many bikes out there that won't kill you as quickly as a supersport can. It's not to say that you can't start on one (many, many people do), it's just not the smartest thing to do.

The 600 is my track bike, and although I keep it street legal, it's main home is the track, a place I can use it's power without having to worry about the police disagreeing with my speed. :)

The great thing about motorcycling is that there are plenty of great bikes to choose from.

1. Buy gear (if you can't afford gear, you can't afford a motorcycle)
2. Take an MSF course
3. Then get a bike

Also, don't listen to friends that say you have to get a big bike right off the bat, because this is your FIRST bike, not your last.

Stay away from the 250's. Those things are for babies and little girls. You'll outgrow it in 3 months. You'll be just fine with a 600cc motorcycle and you won't have to buy another in 6 months.
My 21 year old roomate just got a 650 Ninja last week, and he can already handle it just fine. Just don't be an idiot with it, and take it slow. Also avoid the racing 600's.

My 21 year old roomate just got a 650 Ninja last week, and he can already handle it just fine.

That's a common misconception that people have. Just because he can keep it upright and twist the grip, doesn't mean he can handle it just fine. How does he react to something that jumps out in front of him? Going into a corner he finds sand, does he panic? These are things that only many, many miles of experience can teach.

Obviously I don't know your roommate from a hole in the ground, and if this isn't his first ride it's a moot point, but most people can't jump on a 650cc bike (although the Ninja 650 is still fairly tame as it's a twin) and be just fine in a week.

I know many people who have 1/2 or liter bikes in their garage, yet still own a 250 because they are fun bikes.

Of course there's also people that have to compensate for the lack of displacement between their legs with displacement on their motorcycles. :)

True, 250s are fun and docile, but it won't take long to see their limits if you plan to do any highway riding. I know people do it every day, but it's nice to have a little power to get yourself out of a semi's vortex or climb a mountain highway. The 250s just struggle there.

Of course not all 250s are created equally.:nuts: I have a 250 two stroke street legal race bike that will blow away all the 600s and most 750s. Why do in four strokes what you can do in two, right? It's definitely not a beginner bike though.

No one ought to have much of a problem with the 600s like the Suzuki SV650 or Honda Hornet 600.

I know people do it every day, but it's nice to have a little power to get yourself out of a semi's vortex or climb a mountain highway. The 250s just struggle there.

Precisely why I went ahead and added the 650 to my fleet. Has more than enough power on the highway and runs at lower RPMs, so there's less vibration.

Man, that is by far the lowest price I have ever heard of anywhere in the country for a new M109R. The one I bought was on sale for $10,900...down from $13,000, and it's was a brand new 2007 model (I like the 2007's color better).
After sales tax it ran me an extra grand though. They wouldn't budge on price one bit, and I even walked out on them once.

Good luck negotiating, but I'd be really surprised if you can get it out the door for anywhere near $8888. My guess is that's the price that gets you in the door, but they have absolutely no intention of selling it at that unless it's used. Probably closer to $12,000 to take it home. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Hey Daytona....

Finally had enough of a break in my schedule to go get my new bike. I ended up going with a black 2008 M109R2. They sold that other bike listed at $8888 in a day, and it ended up being the Pearl white...so I wouldn't have gone for it. However, I did walk out of the dealer spending about a nickel under 11,000. Man were they pissed, but a cashiers check pre-made out to them will make them do things they normally won't.

Damn.....does this thing have some power. Glad I went with an 1800cc. Surprisingly, even in the stock set-up I can ride it comfortably. I'm still gonna drop the back end 2" and de-beaver the license plate. Have you thought about exhaust? I'm thinking of going with the RAW Design Scorpion Tips.....only 195 bucks and nothing else needed, and a 6 HP gain. Check it out on youtube.....

Ride safe.

Anyone has any suggestion on which bikes are worth looking at?

If you're completely new to motorcycles, here's my advice. First, find a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) riding course. These will usually have helmets and gloves available to use. The course will cover the basics, and help to reinforce some important habits of safe riding. There may also be a variety of bikes to ride, though most may be too small to be good streetbikes. Also, many states will issue you an "M" endorsement on your license upon completion.

Next, buy gear: A Snell approved full face helmet is a must; A leather or textile jacket with armor in the shoulders, elbows, back, etc.; Boots that at least cover the ankle; Gloves; Pants (most of us probably wear jeans, but I do wear vented textile pants with armor for longer rides...riding "jeans" are available that use kevlar in the material.) A popular author uses the analogy of "what would you wear to jump out of the back of a pickup truck?" If it wasn't moving, probably a T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. Now, what would you wear if it was moving 70mph? Get the point? Buy gear and always wear it. Always.

Now for the bike. What kind of riding do you think that you will enjoy? Short trips to ride twisty canyon roads? Get a 600cc sportbike. Longer rides with some twisty roads when you get there? Sport-touring bike like a Honda Interceptor of Triumph Sprint ST. Miles and miles of Highway? A cruiser or touring bike. Like the idea of going anywhere...roads and off road? BMW F800GS, perhaps. Do you want to carry your stuff in a backpack, or do you want a bike that will carry luggage? How important is wind protection? Do you mind the aggressive body position on a Sportbike, do you like sitting upright, or do you prefer your arms and legs stretched out? Will you be riding alone, or want to take your significant other with you (get them gear too)?

There is so much variety that after you nail down the "style" of your riding, go to all the differerent dealers and sit on the bikes. Visit your local "Japanese" dealer, BMW, Ducati, Triumph, even Harley Davidson if you like them. Many do not allow test-rides, especially for new riders, so be prepared.

One last thought. Riding a motorcycle is far more dangerous than being in a car. Many of the risks are from external threats: SUV-driving Soocer-Moms drinking Starbucks coffee and talking on their cellphones; Aggresive Teenagers in souped-up Civics who want to race you; Gravel, oil, coolant, etc that you don't see until you're leaned over in a corner; Cops that assume that you like to speed; the list goes on. Other threats are internal to the rider: lack of training, lack of experience, immaturity, lack of self-control (heck, even a 600cc sportbike will easily top 150 mph...who could resist that? I couldn't).

If you think that you want to ride fast and drag your knees in the corners, perhaps you should buy a cheap, used sportbike and use it only for trackdays. It's a safer way to have lots of fun while learning about high-performance riding at the same time. A smooth, clean track, no cars, no cops to ticket you and an ambulance crew standing-by are all very comforting. Many places will rent you trackbikes, leathers, etc. It's a thrill to ride a bike in a way that you can't ride it on the street. For me, it satisfies the need to go fast. Now I can focus on a less-sporty bike for the road, and I will buy a Sportbike for the track.

Good luck in the search...let us know how it goes.

Hey Daytona....

Finally had enough of a break in my schedule to go get my new bike. I ended up going with a black 2008 M109R2. They sold that other bike listed at $8888 in a day, and it ended up being the Pearl white...so I wouldn't have gone for it. However, I did walk out of the dealer spending about a nickel under 11,000. Man were they pissed, but a cashiers check pre-made out to them will make them do things they normally won't.

Damn.....does this thing have some power. Glad I went with an 1800cc. Surprisingly, even in the stock set-up I can ride it comfortably. I'm still gonna drop the back end 2" and de-beaver the license plate. Have you thought about exhaust? I'm thinking of going with the RAW Design Scorpion Tips.....only 195 bucks and nothing else needed, and a 6 HP gain. Check it out on youtube.....

Ride safe.

Congrats!
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. I wish I could have bought mine outside of the Las Vegas area (would have saved me a grand), the bike dealers here are worse than used car salesmen, but this is pretty much the greed/dirtbag capital of the USA, so what else can I expect.
Yeah, the 9 definitely pulls. I'm really happy with it. Most pipes actually lower the Hp rating, so I'd be really impressed if the RAW pipes actually added some power. I don't plan on changing the pipes on my 9 anytime soon though.
I already have one loud cruiser, and although it is good for safety, it's just so nice having a nice quiet bike to ride too. Those tips do look pretty sweet; if you want some noise, I say go for it.
I'll probably debeaver the tail too, I just ordered a personalized plate, SKYRDR, to give it a personal touch. Other than that, I'm just gonna add some chrome, change out the hand grips, add a better air cleaner for more Hp, and probably leave the rest alone for now.
Too many expenses coming all at once to go spending more $ on the bike for now.
Watch out for the 2nd gear grind. Be sure to shift firmly into each gear, this bike has a tendency to ruin the 2nd gear if you're too gentle with it. Preloading the shifter before pulling the clutch helps. Also be careful not to overfill the oil. It has a tendency to spit out excess from the left side and you'll think it's leaking. It will actually partially fill the left air filter with oil and you'll have to drain it as I learned the hard way...Thank you very much Suzuki dealer!!! Enjoy.

Latest resources

Back