Who has a motorcycle?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flint4xx said:
There are those that have crashed, and there are those that will...
Been there, done that, got the scars.
I walk and talk today only for a full-faced helmet. The only reason I don't have road rash scars from head to toe is to the credit of lots of leather. I'm a lucky bastard after going down at 90mph plus. You don't need to be going near that fast to end up as road pizza, though. 35 oughta kill you good if you are unfortunate enough, or stupid enough to go helmetless.

FL000 said:
but before I could pull the trigger on it, I chickened out. Seemed like whenever I picked up the paper or turned on the radio after getting my M classification, someone was getting his leg ripped off on the highway, or getting bug-squashed on a Mack.

Same here. got my license, started shopping, and it seemed like everytime I mentioned to someone hat I was looking for a bike, I'd hear "That's cool. I used to ride, but then I got into an accident and screwed up my leg/arm/head/back/spleen/whatever, and so I don't ride anymore."

The problem with bikes is not the riders. The problem is that you have to share the road with every incompetent idiot on the planet.

I think EVERYONE should have to get a motorcycle license. That would at least make everyone more aware of the bikes out there on the road.

EagleRJ said:
Helmet and leathers- EVERY RIDE!

I saw a rider go down at 50 MPH, stand up and walk away. He was wearing leathers and a helmet.

A rider I met once, went of into a ditch at about 15 MPH. He now has the mind of a 4-6 year old. He hit his head on a rock. He wasn't wearing a helmet, if he had been wearing one, he would have had a headache.

As for riding, you will learn to be a hyper-defesive driver. Cars simpley don't see you untill it's too late. You must constantly be on the look out for drivers to turn in front of you.

Get a 600cc sport bike or a 800cc cruiser. That's enough power to get on the highway, but not too much.

I ride an NSR 250RR...two stroke sportbike. I did the safety schools 10 years ago when I had my Honda Nighthawk, then I traded up to this after a year and 20,000 miles. I did the CLASS track schools on this bike and I just love it when the guys on the 750s and 900s watch a 250 kick their butt. On the street I play by all the rules. I wear full race leather and I don't care how hot it is. Pavement at 65mph is hot on your butt too. Picking gravel out of your butt for a month is also not fun, so dress for what *might* happen if the little old lady from Pasadena pulls out in front of you.

Something to consider though, as you decide whether you want a sport bike, a cruiser or a touring bike, is that the faster the bike is, the faster you will ride. It is very hard to ride slow on a bike that does 60 in first gear. Personally I think its a bad idea for anyone to get a high performance sport bike as their first bike. It's a shame when they wreck it in the rfirst 2 months and then never ride again.

For something a bit more tame, try the line of Honda Shadow bikes. Buy one that's a year or so old and save a lot of money too. Also, buy your gear helmet, leather, gloves, boots etc BEFORE you buy the bike so that you aren't skimping on it after you shelled out the dough for the bike.

Have fun!

I was a bike fan until I spent a 3-year stint flying for LifeFlight. I picked up a lot of guys - it was never their fault. You can sorta say that it took the wind out of my sails when it comes to bikes. (We called them Donor Cycles - keep a donor card in your wallet.)

However, now that the family's raised...

Spring is in the air and a man's thoughts turn to motorcycles. I admit that I've been to a couple dealers. My wife's hoping that this primal urge will pass or at least I'll be able to quell it with some sort of convertable. Helmit, leather, and a good dose of paranoia (Why is everyone on the road trying to kill me?) will go a long way to keeping you safe.

'Sled

Been riding motorcycles for 39 years. Have been riding a 98 Honda Valkyrie (1520cc) since "98" with numerous cross countries thanks to aftermarket seats and air suspension. Use a helmet 50/50 and havn't been much over 125 mph on this bike.

And if you like the looks of old airplane engines, such as I do, then you can't help liking the looks of a V-twin Harley. Wouldn't mind a Road King Classic for puttering around town, and maybe a Honda Wing or BMW touring bike for Alaska and beyond.

Once owned a 67 Triumph Bonneville (650cc) that's kind of a collectable now. Wish I still owned it.

thanks for all the great info guys.

are kawasaki sport bikes any good?

Latest resources

Back