Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TriJet

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie when it comes to motorbikes, looking to buy a lower performance one to ride around on the days off. Anyone has any suggestion on which bikes are worth looking at?

I know it's dangerous, but sure looks like fun!

Trijet

Last edited:
real me ride harleys until the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** thing rattles your nuts off. If you want a sport bike I'd say start with a Suzuki GSX-R 600, wellbuilt and great to learn on. If you buy one used don't but it from anyone under 25 years old for sure. More than likely it has been abused.

Are you looking towards a sport bike or a cruiser?

The danger is minimal, as long as you ride responsibly, be aware of your surroundings, and follow one simple rule:
Helmet and leathers- EVERY RIDE!

I'll agree it'd be nice to have a Harley.....but how many of us, especially you regional guys, can afford to pi$$ away 20-25,000 on a motorcycle? I got a 2004 Honda VTX1300 for 6900 new...has same power and size motor as the biggest of Harleys, threw on some custom pipes for 300 bucks and is now much louder than a Harley. And the insurance is much cheaper if you dont have a H-D. Besides..now a days it seems like every lawyer/banker/doctor type is jumping on the Harley bandwagon......its becoming the Lexus of cruiser bikes.

Save your loot until you can start up a racket like Kit Darby....then you can buy two bikes and whine to everyone that "the industry's getting so bad I had to sell my spare Harley"

Last year I took the Georgia safety course at Honda, and it was a blast. I was looking at the Honda VT600, but before I could pull the trigger on it, I chickened out. Seemed like whenever I picked up the paper or turned on the radio after getting my M classification, someone was getting his leg ripped off on the highway, or getting bug-squashed on a Mack. But then again, this is Atlanta.

Anyway...I really like the Shadow 600, and there are some others like it with slightly more or slightly less power too. Go to www.wowmotorcycles.com or www.cycletrader.com to look around and see what your style is. Everyone I talked to recommended Honda for upkeep and dependability.

There are those that have crashed, and there are those that will...

I've had three personally owned bikes, and rode them a a cop, and a courier too. They should be considered much like aircraft/flying, as they don't handle careless and/or reckless operations well. Add to that the idea everybody else on the road is out to run you over, and you should be able to minimize the risk and enjoy it.

ALWAYS wear a helmet. http://www.bikersrights.com/nhtsa/video/03anatomy.html

Injury prevention components. Despite the best prevention efforts, Motorcycle crashes do occur. The majority of the crashes with other vehicles are not the motorcyclist's fault. During a crash, the most important factor in reducing injury is personal protection for the motorcyclist. Leather jackets, gloves, trousers, proper footwear, eye protection, and helmets provide this personal protection. Helmets are by far the motorcycle rider's most important safety equipment because they protect against injuries to the head and brain. Why is injury prevention important during a crash? Consider some facts:
  • More than 80 percent of all reported motorcycle crashes result in injury or death to the motorcyclist.
  • Head injury is a leading cause of death and serious injury in motorcycle crashes, which is why helmets that meet or exceed federal safety standards should always be worn.
  • Research studies show that motorcycle helmets are 29 percent effective in preventing fatal injuries and 67 percent effective in preventing serious brain injury.

Last edited:
Harleys suck. Overpriced and overrated old technology crap. Get a rice burner, they'll run forever; I have a 2000 Honda CBR 600 F4 with 41,000 miles, never had a wrench to the engine... other than to check valve clearances of course.

First thing you gotta do if you wanna ride is take a MSF rider safety course. You'll get a break on your insurance, and when I did it, we took the riding test portion at the end of class, didn't have to do it at the DMV.

Always wear safety gear, helmet/boots/jacket/gloves. You will crash your first bike. I crashed mine, my brother crashed his, we had our gear on and walked away without any scratches. It happens, mainly due to inexperience and/or stupidity, but you'll learn from it and won't ever do it again...

Buy used for your first bike. Take a look at the Suzuki SV-650, they're a very popular "beginner" V-twin... I've never ridden one, but have heard that everyone that rides or owns one loves 'em, great handling and performance, and there's plenty of used ones available for decent prices. If you wanna go the sportbike route, may I recommend a used Honda CBR 600, an F3 or F4 maybe... they have all the performance you could want, but they're very docile and won't bite unless you really push it.

Just my humble opinion of course... and did I mention that Harleys suck??

Latest resources

Back