Which Taildragger would you buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skidmark said:
Unlike a J-3, the former have a wider fuselage which greatly improves comfort.
If I wanted to move along at ~70 mph in comfort, I'd take my GMC pickup! :D

Some of the later Taylorcrafts (F-21 I believe) can be a pretty good bargin. Also some of the Maule M-4's with the Cont. O-300 aren't bad either. One thing to watch out for is insurance costs. You may want to investigate this before making a decision. Also, if you buy a fabic covered aircraft. Make sure you find a good mech who will work on it. I have known some that all but refuse to touch fabic, and some who don't want to work on anything but. No matter what you buy, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Did my first 20 some-odd hours in a Citabria 7ECA. May not be quite as classic as a J3 but I think its still a d@mn sexy little airplane. 115 hp (if I remember correctly) gets you cruise speeds close to a Cessna 150. No flaps which keeps things simple and will get you really good at forward slips. It's also rated for limited aerobatics. I think I've seen them listed before for near $20k. I haven't been back in a taildragger since then but its on my to-do list.

I used to fly a Citabria, you culd fit 2 small kids in the back seat, it was pretty wide back there.

The problem is though, they can be quite expensive for a nice one.

Does anybody know any other taildraggers that is big in the back around 20K.

But I think one of the best tailwheel airplanes out there has got to be the SuperCub. I have about 400 hours of towing banners in 180HP SuperCubs, what an awsome airplane, pricy but awsome.

LR25 said:
But I think one of the best tailwheel airplanes out there has got to be the SuperCub. I have about 400 hours of towing banners in 180HP SuperCubs, what an awsome airplane, pricy but awsome.

For a little less money and comparable performance, I'd go with the Bellanca 8GCBC Scout. I also have spent many an hour dragging rags and wouldn't want to be in anything else. Don't get me wrong, cubs are great airplanes, but you can save about 20K with a Scout because it doesn't hold the same nostagic value.

Vagabond?

Great feedback everybody. Keep it coming. Much thanks!

What about the Vagabond? Anybody know the good, bad or the ugly about them? There doesn't seem to be that many of them out there but they are in my price range.

I agree with lear24

The 65hp Champ is not that under powered. I would much rather it than the Cub. I'm a big guy and The Champ was easier for me to get in and out of.
The cub is a fun little machine. I think all pilots should have some cub time.
I learned in a Cessna 170. They are good airplanes, but not the best for transition in my opinion.
I like the 8E Luscombe with a 150hp. I only have a few hours in one but it was great. I've herd them called an evil minded cone tail Luscombe, but I didn't find it evil at all.
I owned a Maule for five years and that was the most fun you could have in an airplane. They are one tough load hauling rocket ship. Me alone with 10 gal.....YeeHa.....what a ride!

Houston Citabria rental

Speaking of Citabrias, anyone wanna rent a 1974 150hp 7GCAA?

It's based at Weiser Airpark (KEYQ) in Cypress, TX, just NW of Houston, operated by Windsock Aviation. Check out www.flywindsock.com. It's not a showpiece plane, but it's in very nice condition, runs and flies great! 80 bucks/hour wet.

I don't work for the FBO, just another renter pilot... but the airplane needs to be flown more or it might be sold. Scary thought, since then I'd be stuck flying Warriors or 172s, woof! After having so much fun flying an old ragwing taildragger the thought of driving around in a 172 seems pretty boring. I really don't understand why more renters don't get checked out in it... if they did they'd never go back to a spamcan.

Thanks,
John

TAG2 said:
...what [taildragger] would you buy and why?
Douglas Skyraider, baby!

Why? "Because it kills...and that's the name of that tune."

(Probably be expensive, though...)

Latest resources

Back