• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which Taildragger would you buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had a 1948 Cessna 140, It would cruise 105 MPH at 5.5 GPH. Mine had an electrical system, I think all 140's did, and a Cont. O-200. Great airplane to own and maintain. Insurance was getting expensive. I flew mine all over the country. Flew to many airstrips in the Idaho back country. I own a Cessna 170 now. Any airplane you get will hold it's value if you maintain it.

J3 Cub... a true classic!

It has very docile handling qualities and is relatively easy to learn in. It also has great ramp appeal and will assure you many affectionate looks everywhere you go. It is truly the most fun I've ever had in an airplane.

You can find Cubs in the 15K to 30K price range. Look at the ads at on the AOPA web site and check around.
If you go this route (or buy any antique taildragger for that matter), be sure to get a thorough pre purchase inspection by an expert on that airplane. There is a big problem with rotten wood spars, especially in planes that haven't been hangared or have sit around for a while. Also, the Cubs had an AD on the wing struts that should have been complied with. If not, it's a fairly expensive fix.

Many Cubs have been modified over the years. They range from a standard J3 with a 65hp engine and wood prop to 85 or more hp with metal prop and electric start. If you get one that's been decked out, you will lose a lot in useful load, but it's nice not to have to hand prop it.

I've got a 90-hp J-3. You *may* be able to find a 65 hp Cub in fair shape for ~$20K. Anything with a 75, 85 or 90 hp would be very rough for $20K, or a killer deal! Expect to spend $30+ on an avg Cub with larger engine.

A Cub with an Armstrong starter (most are non electric) can be pretty cheap to maintain! Check to see if it has sealed struts, Cleveland brakes & synthetic covering and it'll be even cheaper.

For the money, I'd go with the -140 though. Maybe an Aeronca or T'craft product, second.

I would buy a metal wing Luscombe 8A or 8E. They are built like a Sherman tank & are in your price range. The 65 HP 8A performs about the same as the 85HP 8E due to the heavier weight of the 8E's electrical system--I have owned both the A & E models.

The Cessna 140/120 is a great airplane also, but I am a bit impartial to them since I have a 1946 140. Operating costs are very resonable at about 5 gal per hour and if you have a good pre buy done there won't be anything major to suprize you at annual time. If you do go for the 140/120 I would reccomend the ragwing though since they do fly better then the metal winged ones and have a lower empty weight. Right now I pay 625 a year for insurance which isn't bad at all. With the C90 or O-200 you won't notice a big difference in curse speeds, but you will be able to tell the differnce in climb. I don't mind the C85 at all since I usually only climb to 500agl since low and slow are how these airplanes were ment to fly. The one downside compared to a cub is that they are side by side so sitting two adults next to each other isn't that comfortable, but it is great for you and your girlfriend, you also can't go fly around with you door open, but you can get a faa wavior to fly it with one door removed so that can be fun. If you have any questions on the 140/120 don't be affraid to ask or you can go to www.cessna140.com and there is a lot of info there.

GREAT POST!

Allow me to add a few questions for those with tail dragger experience.

What aircraft did you train in for your tail wheel endorsement?

How many hours did it take to become proficient?

Is it as fun as it looks???

RFtech said:
85 hp J-3
~5-6 hrs to get that groundloop monkey off my back, but he'll always be there ready to kick the tail around if you ever look away! ;)

Is it as fun as it looks??? [/B]
More of a challenge which means fun to me. Flying around with the doors open along the beach at a very low (but safe!) altitude waving at the ladies and just easing along is one of the most fun things I've done in a plane. Most tailwheel planes have a following about wherever you go. Owning one, you're legitimately preserving aviation's early culture. Finally, just being in a classic tailwheel plane you can go almost anywhere and get away with a lot. No - I'm not into testing the system - just passing on my impressions of flying an old tailwheel plane!

RFtech said:

J3-85 Cub

I was already a CFI with about 1000 hours. I was training to get checked out as a tailwheel instructor. It took me about 10 hours to get signed off but about 20 before I felt proficient enough to teach it.

Is it as fun as it looks???

Oh yeeeah.

The 65 hp champ is not underpowered, but it has weight limitations just like every other airplane out there. If you exceed the max weight, and/or have a junk motor that needs an overhaul, it will be a little anemic, just like any other airplane in the group.

I agree with the other posts except the one about 65 hp champs, but will also add that the champ is probably the roomiest airplane of the bunch, especially vs. the cub. They are each great airplanes.

Good luck and enjoy.

I've also owned a 46' 140 for about 8 years and the only regret I have, is not getting it sooner. It is a very affordable airplane to purchase and even cheaper to maintain. If you can keep an old VW running, you can maintain a 140. There's nothing to it. Do yourself a favor and find a 140 guru to go with you and do a pre-purchase inspection. There are a few things to look out for in 140's before you buy.

If you would rather have a stick, then I'd recommend a J-5 or PA-12. Unlike a J-3, the former have a wider fuselage which greatly improves comfort.

Latest resources

Back