Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TAG2

Goldmember
I am starting the thought process about buying an airplane. I am thinking about a taildragger in the less than $20,000 range. So far, I am considering an Aeronca Champ, Cessna 120/140, Luscombe 8, Taylorcraft BC-12 or possibly a J-3 if I can find one in my price range. I have not flown any of these. Considering mx, comfort (or lack of), operating costs and handling qualities, what would you buy and why. Thanks.

TAG2 said:
I am starting the thought process about buying an airplane. I am thinking about a taildragger in the less than $20,000 range. So far, I am considering an Aeronca Champ, Cessna 120/140, Luscombe 8, Taylorcraft BC-12 or possibly a J-3 if I can find one in my price range. I have not flown any of these. Considering mx, comfort (or lack of), operating costs and handling qualities, what would you buy and why. Thanks.

Considering your list, I'd be of looking for the Luscombe 8A or E. Easily the best all around performer in the air, but could be a bit squirrelly on the ground. Originally an aerobatic rated aircraft, (was published to handle something like 9 positive an 6 negative G's), though I don't thing I'd be inclined to do aerobatics with a 50+ year old plane.

Good luck on your search!

Buy a Aeronca superchief

The aeronca superchief is an excellent airplane , great perfomance, i learnt to fly in one , i also flew a " pushpak" which was a indian version of the superchief, they have 95 hp rolls royce engines in them, they have a great
power to weight ratio so it will get up in a hurry, the only thing you might want to be aware is that they have no flaps , but still a great airplane ---------- a real airplane.
good luck
fulcrum

Taylorcraft

For the money, you can't go wrong with the Taylorcraft BC-12D.
They are not very expensive (unlike the Cub), as well as a very docile airplane. They are also one of the fastest in there class.
Low and Slow on 4 gal./hr. Gotta love it! Have fun, Fly Safe.

AN-2

Of Course!

YOu cant go wrong with a J-3, they have all the qualities you want in a taildragger.

If you find one in your price range, definitely check it out.

It is a great airplane.

But a champ will do also.

I cant speak for a Luscombe or TaylorCraft, but I heard they are really good airplanes also.

Why didn't you have this dilemma when I was selling my Pitts for $20K?

If you can find a 7CCM Champ (90 hp, non-electric) you will love her. A good friend has one I have flown for years. The performance is great and the maint. is minimal. No electric is the draw back, limiting you to day flying. I used to have a 7AC Champ (65 hp, non-electric). I would stay away from the 65hp models because they are really under powered. I will have to admit that flying small tail draggers really made me a much better pilot. Guarenteed - what ever taildragger you get you will have a blast and you will learn a lot.

KlingonLRDRVR

Latest resources

Back