• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which Taildragger would you buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The J-5 is a great airplane if you are looking for a little more room in the back. Back seat is big enough for 2 small ones. With an O-200 the aiplane performs very well. For the money it is probably one of the best deals out there. If you have some more cash, a supercub will always be the one to have. The 140/120's are also great little airplanes for the money. They will give you a good education in tailwheel flying. If you can handle a gusty x-wind in a 140, you can fly just about any tailwheel airplane out there. The bigger they get, the easier they are to handle.

If you want to do low and slow, the Champ cannot be beat. If you are looking to do sometravelling, the 120/140 is a lot of jet for the money. If you are looking for something different and sort of "in-between", the Rearwin/Commonwealth Skyranger is very goodlooking.

Cheers

The AN2. easy to fly, kinda cheap and VERY strong.
j

Good luck finding a Cub for 20K.I you might find one but either the engine is runout or it needs new cover or both.I probably paid too much for mine but I grew up with Cubs and nothing else would be the same.One the plus side,Cubs do tend to hold their value better than some.For good,fun,cheap(relatively)flying go with a Chief or Taylorcraft.They can be had for less than20K but aren't as sought after when you decide to sell.Champs are a little higher than Chiefs,probably because of tandem seating and having a stick(must be a 'guy' thing).Luscombes' have,I feel,an undeserved reputation for being ground-loopers.The 'problem' being that they have a very light rudder and it takes a little getting used to.Great airplanes as long as you're not too long or wide,much faster than a Cub,and can be found for reasonable prices although the 8Es and Fs are starting to rise.Buy whatever you decide on right and you can have alot of fun.Be very carefull and have someone you trust and who knows old taildraggers look over the intended airplane and logs.I thought I'd done my homework and still had to lay out some $$$ for some things that were 'overhauled'.Good luck and enjoy!

Latest resources

Back