• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

which citation is better ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some day you'll get to the point were you don't give a rats ass what you fly as long as the pay is great qol good and good MX.

Its not about about what you fly but the size of the paycheck and how often you are home :cartman:
I do have to agree with you here.

HAHAHAHA, Kiddie Jet!! LAND LOVER!! LED SLED!! all can be accurate descriptions of the Lumbering Lear.
Although small, the lear can blow the socks of a bunch of a/c. The citation is no comparison bar none. Now if you throw in some of the bigger stuff 7 and X well now you are comparing apples to oranges. But vs the small stuff no way. FLy Safe

Rubicon789,

Sir (or Ma'am)....

1) The Citations have external baggage.....The Lear Does NOT!
2) The Lear 31 was built to compete with the Citation V (that's Five not VII)!
3) The Citation has more room up front than the Lear!
4) The Cockpit is not Hot or Cold up front if the cabin is fine in the Citation like the Lear!
5) The list goes on and on.

I have 1500 + hours in Lear Jet series (20/30/50) and have about 900 hours in all Citations (II/V/XL/XLS) and whould say I like my time in the V better than my time in a 20 series any day.

Other than the above mentioned I liked the 35A better than a V but the passengers didn't.

I've flown the V's at .75 daily and I know some who swear by flying the Lear series at .74 (for some reason....not good reasoning mind you). So, who's faster in that profile? Don't bother answering that question.

The pax's pay the bills. So they get what they want. And, that says a lot when you look a total numbers of each.

That leads me to say "Why are they still making the V (series) and not making the 35 series?"

Get over your only type and make the move to common sense before its to late. (joke)

Last edited:
Depends on the wt of the lears and which model.

#lb for #lb the lear 35A meets the same #'s of a 31A. But, the 35A can go a lot farther than a 31A ... those wingtips mean a lot.

On the other hand the 31A was designed to compete with a Citation V series a/c. As long as the runway is dry its a fair fight. If the runway is wet ..... you can start Doubling the V's #'s to get actual #'s.

So, you see it depends on which Citation you are talking about. It also depends on if the runway is dry or wet.

It's not an apples to apples comparison.

The 35A has longer #'s at gross wt but it also outgrosses all the V series a/c. It goes farther .. faster .. longer .. quicker .. for less. If you compare a V to a 35A wt for wt then the 35A is a going to be competitive. Unless the runway turns wet.

If the XLS +'s came with the Sov. wing and had dual truck tires aside like the Sov. then this would be the easiest choice around.

Get what fits the mission. Fly what pays you the most with the most days off.

'and thats all I got to say about that'

I would also like to see your Lears' runway numbers vs the Citations'.

Takeoff distance (5000',25C, MTOW)
CJ3-4,750, LR40XR-5,090, XL-5,770, XLS-5,490

Landing distance (MLW)
CJ3-2,770, LR40XR-2,660, XL-3,180, XLS-3,180

Maximum payload
CJ3-1,810, LR40XR-2,285, XL-2,260, XLS-2,300

Payload with Maximum fuel
CJ3-660, LR40XR-2,160, XL-720, XLS-860

Baggage (external)
CJ3-69, LR40XR-65, XL/S-85, Bravo-73

Cockpit volume (cu ft.)
Bravo-80, LR40XR-85, XL/S-90

Last edited:
jonjuan - what about ranges for maximum payload and maximum fuel/no payload.

It might also be illuminating to see block or flight times for various ranges, say 300 NM, 500 NM and 1000 NM.

Also if it isn't too much....could you use a single wt (for all the a/c) and not gross wt for each a/c.

That is so discriminator toward the heavier a/c ya' know.

Latest resources

Back