Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Career counselor steered you wrong

Single engine prop????

Should have stayed in Jets or multi-engine. Should have thought twice about that T-34 or T-6 assignment. Sure, you got a lot of PIC, Instructor, fun job, learned a bunch, low-level flying, worked hard, served your country----but, should have thought about the civilian world before it came to this point.

With all the pilots on the street what did you think you needed....more SE turbo prop?

Should log as much Heavy, ME, Jet, PIC as you can.

I agree Wolf King

I've seen the same thing as Wolk King.

Yeah, being an IP with some of these knuckleheads can be challenging. Then again, you take a T-37 or T-6, never go more than 70 miles from base, make canned radio calls, and fly stereo routes....ain't the same as flying heavies, international, working "in the system". I've seen some T-37 guys, after coming to the heavies try to fix things by "Clicking it all off" and hand flying. They miserably fail, can't run the AP smoothly, and don't know FAA radio phraseology.

It takes everyone time to adjust to flying a big plane, don't you think it would be a steeper curve for the guys who have never flown something similar?

Hang in there

IP Bubbas,

Hang in there. You'll get a call eventually. Just try to enjoy what you are doing now and make sure you are ready for the interview.

BTW, I too haven't got a call yet. I think I may know why. My middle toe is longer than all my other toes. Yeah, I know it's freaky. In addition, my employment at the Yarn Barn probably doesn't help.

Adios and take care,

SR

Skyrunner,

Yes, SWA is calling and has called T-34/T-6 guys in the past. I'm living proof and I know several guys who've recently been called and hired. The problem is not your background. There are thousands (I've heard 6k or more) apps on file and everyone can't get called at the same time. There are fighter guys, heavy guys, high time civilian check-airmen, and turbo-weenie guys with type ratings...all wondering why they haven't been called.

It's just a numbers thing. You'll get called but you may have to wait awhile...or maybe you won't have to wait. You just won't know until you get that call. I know it's frustrating to hear but you will have to be patient and wait until your time and number comes up. Until then, keep flying and improving your resume. It will pay off at the interview.

BTW, training was challenging but not impossible. Every T-34/T-6/T-37 guy that I know passed training at SWA the first time. If you're an experienced pilot and work hard during sims, you'll make it through. Good luck to you and don't let the students get you.

shootr

jobear said:
I'm not looking at the quals I'm looking at the title of the thread. Not ragging on the guys just thought they were expecting to much. Pay some dues at a regional/freight/charter to get the experience.

While I do wish them the best of luck there are plenty of people at the regional level more than qualified for slots at LUV. Not including me:eek: .

Type rating? I ain't buying mine til I get the job if at all, thats more of a personal thing. And as YOU said you can't go by whats on the left side of the screen, Nes Pas?
Thanks for the traumahawk kudos but after way to many hours it didn't seem that bad at the end :eek: .

Take care
Jobear
I didn't realize that I hadn't paid my "dues" since I haven't worked at a regional/freight/charter. I guess my 200+ days a year in the desert for the last 3 years was vacation.

jobear said:
Yeah you guys rate a job at SWA because you flew trainers, OH please. Try giving dual in a Traumahawk for a couple of years.

OH hire me I was in the Military as a pilot. Do yourselves a favor and get a regional/charter/freight job. I flew as a FEAP in the Navy on P-3's, the hardest job any of you guys had was figuring up the bar tab.

Jobear
Sorry Jobear, guess you should have done better in school...

Stash said:
Sorry Jobear, guess you should have done better in school...
Stash,
I didn't go to school and I'm not bemoaning my life I wouldn't change any of it.

Thank for caring though
Jobear

Unfortunately, it is these uneducated, perceived, general comments about military guys from one or two napolean complex civilians that ends up driving the rift in between us. Come on guys give me a break...

/rant off

jobear said:
Stash,
I didn't go to school and I'm not bemoaning my life I wouldn't change any of it.

Thank for caring though
Jobear
Wouldn't change any of it......except maybe getting an interview with SWA.

Just to add more fuel to the flame:

Yes, military flying and instructing is extremely dynamic and challenging, but also very different from the civillian sector. Let's not forget that the primary purpose of military training is the employment of a weapon system that just happens to be flying with a dude inside of it. Most of the lessons learned in the civillian sector are not learned in the military and vice versa. I could go on all day, but will make a few specific points.

How many IP's on their rare cross countries fit smoothly into the mix when entering the civillian environment? Often heard: "what is the Uniform frequency for CTR, TWR, Gnd (you name it)", "can you give me a vector for XYZ" (just can't seem to find that ATC requested fix), "Unable to fly XYZ SID/STAR" (Not on board, or just can't figure it out), "Request progressive taxi" (lost), "minimum fuel"(attempted another leg at the max limit of the aircraft, when weather present in forecast thunderstorm conditions),"unable ILS, request visual straight in", you name it. Let's not even talk about compatible airspeeds for commercial aircraft or having SA as to a smooth arrival speed sequence. Most mil guys are barely aware of 3:1 descent and decel requirements (and who would care when you can just point the nose, throw out the boards and Space Shuttle on in). Not a bash, just a different mindset.

Yeah, screaming into the break at 620 kts used to be a blast, but when I plan my descent profile into JFK, working hard to fly min speeds in the 747 in compliance with FAR's and ATC instruction only to hear yet another Jet Blue dude getting reamed for screaming in 70 knots above ATC requested speed, screwing not only himself, but everyone else on arrival. I can only guess he A:doesn't give a sh1t about airspeed compliance or B: doesn't know sh1t about energy management. This is the kind of thing you get when you throw a guy straight from the military into the right seat and then ask him to be a captain less than two years later.

Now, throw in the fact that here comes a guy who has never even flown a jet aircraft, has the attitude that "I refuse to work at anything other than a top major, compared to what I have done this is a cake walk, where is my interview?!" and there is the old recipe for embarrasment if not disaster.

Latest resources

Back