Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RogerMOSA

GSD247
Just wondering how many folks flying the T34/T6 at NSE/NPA/NGP/VAD have gotten calls from SWA? Do we have too much Single Engine Prop stink on us or are we just at the bottom of the pecking order? Only 3 guys I know have interviewed, going 2 for 3.

RM

No kidding....

But I'm sure our time will come. I do know of one T-34 bubba who got the call but he was a reservist with some 121 time under his belt. Let's keep our fingers crossed that someone starts getting called.

Yeah you guys rate a job at SWA because you flew trainers, OH please. Try giving dual in a Traumahawk for a couple of years.

OH hire me I was in the Military as a pilot. Do yourselves a favor and get a regional/charter/freight job. I flew as a FEAP in the Navy on P-3's, the hardest job any of you guys had was figuring up the bar tab.

Sorry I was over come by a pent up rant:p

Jobear

Give them a break Jobear!

Hey Jobear,
You really can not get to know someone by just looking at the quals on the left side of the screen. If you meet the mins for SWA where is your type rating? These guys have it and have shown commitment to go there. Nothing dishonorable about what you have done but I'd be more careful about criticizing folks for showing frustation or concern about not being called for an interview when they think that there may be something lowering their chances to get the call, it's normal. As people get called more and more people will get called that have similar PIC turbine or other qualifications. This may make the "fairness" of why certain people are being called come into question. I personally think that Southwest is a very fair institution willing to give everyone a fair shot. Good luck guys...
BTW Jobear, I got my Private on a Traumahawk... Thank YOU!

Many corporate guys also unLUVed

At least so far!

RM,
Lotsa F-16IP's getting called - many with minimum time and no B737 type! Hell! We are all qualified. We're just on the bottom of a computer file somewhere for reasons unknown. I have a couple SWA Capt friends and they can't figure it out either. Still believe there is some randomness to it all.

;) P-3C Tweek

PS. `jobear' you need to relax a bit. A good cold San Miguel would do you well - indeed any of us well. Also, congratulations in surviving the Traumahawk CFI duties.

Well said `Swerpipe'.:D

Last edited:
Turbo Weenie IP'S?

No real offense, but the fixed wing extent of many of these guys is limited to droning around the box at night with a RI student under the bag for the same PAR for the 1000th time on 13 at NGP. Perhaps SWA knows the benefit of real experience needed to take the relatively quick track to captain with no safety, training, or costly remedial work on a guy who thinks that just because Navy, Marines, or Air Force was painted on the side of their last aircraft they deserve to slide directly into the seat of a major.

Mil to Civ is a big step with a steep learning curve, and just having O-1's running around calling you "sir" in the parking lot on your way to the car doesn't make you a good candidate for SWA.

Swerpipe said:
Hey Jobear,
You really can not get to know someone by just looking at the quals on the left side of the screen. If you meet the mins for SWA where is your type rating?
I personally think that Southwest is a very fair institution willing to give everyone a fair shot. Good luck guys...
BTW Jobear, I got my Private on a Traumahawk... Thank YOU!
I'm not looking at the quals I'm looking at the title of the thread. Not ragging on the guys just thought they were expecting to much. Pay some dues at a regional/freight/charter to get the experience.

While I do wish them the best of luck there are plenty of people at the regional level more than qualified for slots at LUV. Not including me:eek: .

Type rating? I ain't buying mine til I get the job if at all, thats more of a personal thing. And as YOU said you can't go by whats on the left side of the screen, Nes Pas?
Thanks for the traumahawk kudos but after way to many hours it didn't seem that bad at the end :eek: .

Take care
Jobear

Wolf King said:
Turbo Weenie IP'S?

No real offense, but the fixed wing extent of many of these guys is limited to droning around the box at night with a RI student under the bag for the same PAR for the 1000th time on 13 at NGP. Perhaps SWA knows the benefit of real experience needed to take the relatively quick track to captain with no safety, training, or costly remedial work on a guy who thinks that just because Navy, Marines, or Air Force was painted on the side of their last aircraft they deserve to slide directly into the seat of a major.

Mil to Civ is a big step with a steep learning curve, and just having O-1's running around calling you "sir" in the parking lot on your way to the car doesn't make you a good candidate for SWA.
Easy there PuppyQueen,

I guess you never got saluted in the parking lot ? Maybe your UPT IPs were too harsh on your perceived "abilities" ? Gimme a break, any mil IP who has the time to apply has put in the necessary flight time/ experience to get to the interview. They get overworked with bad students just like their civ counterpart. As for the steep learning curve, you've got to be kidding me. This flying is not that cosmic. Whats the worst horror story "man we had to shoot to mins the other day, and that was after actually entering holding !..and then there was that time we had to wait at the gate since we were short on ice...whew that was close !" Anybody (mil or civ) who's got the #'s to apply has more than likely faced several checkrides and emergencies throughout their careers and dealt with them safely and appropriately. If it's that high of a learning curve for you , maybe you lucked out into the profession ?

Now I Can't Wait To Finish Up w/Uncle Sam!!

MoGambo said:
"and then there was that time we had to wait at the gate since we were short on ice...whew that was close !"
You guys have ice!?!....SWEET!!!

Yeah, you're right. Taking a plane load of PAX from A to B is a walk in the park for a guy like you, much harder for me.

Any high vis company like SWA with rapid expansion plans can not afford any high vis pilot error accidents. I'm not a SWA guy, but can only guess their recent change to flight procedures are an effort to cater to the lowest common denominator when it comes to aircraft operation. I can say that I know firsthand of several primary IP's who had their eyes opened training to the right seat at a major. More than one couldn't make it past training, I know one guy whos first ILS was during sim training (does that T-34 even have an ILS now?)!

Latest resources

Back