Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Yeah, I've been beating up on ALPA at AirTran and I'll take any opportunity to rough up my favorite union gofer, Rez but here's a perfect example of ALPA being MIA:

Sully gave our profession a huge boost with his comments about the future of aviation and his self-effacing denial that he did anything special. I had hoped we could capitalize on the incredible press the pilot profession received out of this.

Instead of hearing about the latest "drunken pilot", this was a golden opportunity (better than Blago's Senate seat, IMO) to right many of the misperceptions about the deterioration of our pay, retirement and working conditions since the 1990's.

What do we get? Silence. Nothing from ALPA, APA or any other independent union.

The unions should have had people on all the talk shows, cable news channels--even local news in the larger markets. The public was hungry--no, starving for information on how this miracle happened.

WE made it happen. Sully, to his credit, pitched us a hanging curve right out over the plate. It would have been like a 'roided up Bonds playing t-ball.

We didn't just swing and miss. We didn't even suit up.

We could have used our PAC money, MCF money--hell, take an assessment but get the ads out there on the networks, cable news, the USA Today, WSJ, Times. Just get our viewpoint in front of a malleable public.

I can't be the only one to have thought about this.

Where were the unions?

TC

Why do you care about focusing on the public? They don't matter. When push comes to shove, they'll care more about saving $0.99 on that next ticket. Wasting resources on advertising to the public is not a good plan.

Where was alpo when the media was trying to hang the pilots in the BUF accident for flying with the autopilot?

RV

Where was alpo when the media was trying to hang the pilots in the BUF accident for flying with the autopilot?

RV

I'm glad you asked. Did you happen to notice that the NTSB held a press conference the day after they made that claim and retracted their statement that the pilots were disregarding company policy? Who do you think it was that jumped on the NTSB for misstating company policy? You think they would have retracted their statement if ALPA hadn't provided pressure? Think again.

your saying alpo applied the pressure? Show me proof.

RV

The dog food? No, I'm saying that ALPA, the pilots' union, applied the pressure. You can believe it or not, but it's the truth.

Yeah, I've been beating up on ALPA at AirTran and I'll take any opportunity to rough up my favorite union gofer, Rez but here's a perfect example of ALPA being MIA:

Sully gave our profession a huge boost with his comments about the future of aviation and his self-effacing denial that he did anything special. I had hoped we could capitalize on the incredible press the pilot profession received out of this.

Instead of hearing about the latest "drunken pilot", this was a golden opportunity (better than Blago's Senate seat, IMO) to right many of the misperceptions about the deterioration of our pay, retirement and working conditions since the 1990's.

What do we get? Silence. Nothing from ALPA, APA or any other independent union.

The unions should have had people on all the talk shows, cable news channels--even local news in the larger markets. The public was hungry--no, starving for information on how this miracle happened.

WE made it happen. Sully, to his credit, pitched us a hanging curve right out over the plate. It would have been like a 'roided up Bonds playing t-ball.

We didn't just swing and miss. We didn't even suit up.

We could have used our PAC money, MCF money--hell, take an assessment but get the ads out there on the networks, cable news, the USA Today, WSJ, Times. Just get our viewpoint in front of a malleable public.

I can't be the only one to have thought about this.

Where were the unions?

TC

Another logic thought from you?

Sully is USAPA.... this is USAPA's sandbox....

Why aren't you asking where USAPA is? Should not USAPA be taking advantage of this....

So typical... blaming ALPA when they weren't at the party.....

If ALPA did jump on this PR parade, you would probably be chiding ALPA for trying to steal glory...

But hey its ok.... No one expects to win with haters....

Anything else?

Why aren't you asking where USAPA is? Should not USAPA be taking advantage of this....

A USAToday ad costs over $100k. One ad would bankrupt them. :laugh:

Latest resources

Back