• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where to fly a Convair 580??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know you said no IFL (GCC), but that seems the way to go. Just started working for them and it is a blast. i love the CV. And the 5800s are icing on the cake.

If you come to Lubumbashi, Congo, where I've been working for approx the last 2 years with Air Serv, you can have your choice of old school airplanes to fly.

I've seen some CV-580s flying around this country.

The entire Congo, and especially my home airport of Lubumbashi, is like an aviation museum, with your pick of DC-3s (piston or turboprop conversion), G-I's, YS-11's, Nord 262s, HS-748s in civilian (+ ex-military Andover version), all types of Convairs, Illuyshin 18s, BAC-111s, B707s, B727s (100 and 200 series), B737-200s, DC-8's, DC-9s, Falcon 10s, and much much more to be flown. Of course airworthiness of the afore-mentioned equipment is not guaranteed, though they are all flying!

jt

I flew on a 580 when NWA had them..lots a power!

The 580 looks like it would be a beautiful machine.

Flew the Allison engines on Electras and the Convair airframe on a Convair 640.

The 640 was a PIG. But I bet that 580 would be one sweet BIATCH.

NWA was still flying them in pax service at the time (87-89?) and I envied those airplanes.

The radial versions I know nothing about. I bet they were nice too.

Again the 640 was a PIG. Not a good match with the Rolls-Royce engines. "The Whistling Sh*T-House" we called her...couldn't hear a dam n thing, and it handled like KrAp...with NO power to spare!

But, alas, I loved her...much as I did ALL my Ex-Wives. She was one of my "firsts"..

YKW

C&M down in ELP has couple doing 125 freight as well, IFL's are the best equipped and maintained I have ever seen. Even got EADI & EHSI in em'

The 580 looks like it would be a beautiful machine.

Flew the Allison engines on Electras and the Convair airframe on a Convair 640.

The 640 was a PIG. But I bet that 580 would be one sweet BIATCH.

NWA was still flying them in pax service at the time (87-89?) and I envied those airplanes.

The radial versions I know nothing about. I bet they were nice too.

Again the 640 was a PIG. Not a good match with the Rolls-Royce engines. "The Whistling Sh*T-House" we called her...couldn't hear a dam n thing, and it handled like KrAp...with NO power to spare!

But, alas, I loved her...much as I did ALL my Ex-Wives. She was one of my "firsts"..

YKW

I flew for Bar Harbor Airlines when they had CV600's.That was the original,smaller CV240 airframe with the Rolls Royce engines. Never had the opportunity to fly it,but non-reved in it quite a bit. I was surprised as to how little vibration there was in the pax cabin for a propeller- driven airplane. Sure wish I had stuck around there long enough to have flown her.

PHXFLYR:cool:

There is an outfit in Pontiac, Michigan that flies auto parts with 580's. I flew my first Capt's trip in an Allegheny 580 back in '69.

Used to watch you guys come in and out of ISP many years ago while learning how to fly and working line service at the local FBO. Looked like one rugged airplane. I recently saw some pictures of the North Central CV580 that had a midair with a C150 somewhere over MKE back around the 1969-1970 time frame . The Cessna embedded itself into the right side of the fuselage aft of the cockpit and that ol' Convair landed safely at MKE with the 150 protruding from the side without so much as breaking a sweat. That must have been one tough old bird. Would have loved to have flown her in her day!

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back