• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where to fly a Convair 580??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew the CV640/600 for Kitty Hawk and got a whopping 200-300fpm on a typical summer day fully loaded (both engines). Great airplane to learn how to to fly.

Make sure you read "FATE IS THE HUNTER" before getting checked out in of these - it'll give you some perspective.

Also, El Paso has several convairs parked at Cutter Aviation.

Later.

I flew the CV640/600 for Kitty Hawk and got a whopping 200-300fpm on a typical summer day fully loaded (both engines). Great airplane to learn how to to fly.

Make sure you read "FATE IS THE HUNTER" before getting checked out in of these - it'll give you some perspective.

Also, El Paso has several convairs parked at Cutter Aviation.

Later.
Sounds like a DC-3 I used to know,climbing out at gross on a summers day, I saw '427 ,one of my old CV340's parked at Cutter ELP. looking a little worse for the wear, while heading to the hotel,a month or 2 back.

Just curious if anyone knows if there are some CV-580's still cruising around. I would love to fly one of those. I am not a big fan of this SJS crap, it makes me sick, cannot stand it. Anyhow, other than IFL group, is there anyone else?

Thanks a lot. I posted this in the majors cause I figure there would be some older folks in here that maybe appreciate the good ole' beast

I agree! I hate SJS, but I say be proud of the plane you fly. We need good ol' school people in the modern planes to teach people about real flying so not all is lost. It is a shame that we can't handle one of these wonderful machines anymore. I would love to go to IFL, but I have a family and can't move to Detroit.

CM

87-88 ,i used to watch them turn through,DAY, a classic.

IFL was a fun time, flew with some great people. Good MX and Great A/C! Don't miss the lack of the schedule however!

I flew the 580 for Sierra Pacific Airlines. When they got rid of them I flew the last one to Dorval to be used for parts for some candian operator. Best TP I ever flew. Loads of power. I remember doing 250 to the marker then coming back to idle and those big aeroproducts props acting like a huge speed brake. Also during training doing V1 cuts and it would still climb at 3000fpm.

we used to do V1 cuts in the R2800 powered CV340,and only get 400 fpm,what a difference that Allison makes.

I've just recently noticed that Rhodes Aviation out of BAK has gotten their Convair flying. It looks like they've got a couple of flights in on flightaware.com

Flew the machine in all kinds of places..yes indeed she was a great lady!!!

Latest resources

Back