Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where in the carolina's would you retire?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
if your from the north and you live in a smaller town, your not welcome. I lived all over the country and NC was the worst experience that I have ever had. I see you live in the Midwest..people in the midwest were the best. Southern hospitality is for those who are born and raised there. I am not alone..many of my co-workers had the same experience and moved out as well.
It could be because all that you yankees do is come down and tell us why the north was so much better. I swear, 98% of all conversations with you guys start with "...well back in New York..."
Try this novel idea....when you move somewhere, don't try to change it into the place you just left.

Last edited:
Who are you kidding? You just look at the pretty stamps, we know y'all can't read!!!

Joking aside, there are plenty of people that believe crap like that. Among all the other stereotypes that have been propagated by Hollywood. Yet another reason why we don't like the interlopers from up north.

Think twice before moving to NC. Taxes are terrible, and if your from the north and you live in a smaller town, your not welcome. I lived all over the country and NC was the worst experience that I have ever had. I see you live in the Midwest..people in the midwest were the best. Southern hospitality is for those who are born and raised there. I am not alone..many of my co-workers had the same experience and moved out as well.

Q: Wanna know what a southerners worst nightmare is???

A: A yankee with a U-Haul

Please stay away

I once had a conversation with a pilot who had once visited my southern hometown. He actually said...."It wouldn't be so bad except for all the rednecks." Wow.....nice attitude. And you wonder why you don't fit in?

My advice to folks of that mindset is to give Florida a try. Good weather, no state tax, plenty of loud-talking ill-mannered yankees looking for things to complain about.... and you won't have to deal with many REAL southerners there. Most of them left long ago to get away from the transplants.

I wonder why you don't hear many southerners requesting advice on tips for re-locating to Jersey or Ohio or New York or etc.... We must be stupid or something.

Well, I have been living in NC for nearly 10 years... Here's my thoughts:

Any of the places you mentioned would be ok, it depends what you are into.

A golfer? You can't beat Pinehurst/Southern Pines. Still fairly decent prices for property, top notch medical facilities, a gazillion golf courses, 1.5 hours from the triangle and 2 to the beach. Small town feel, lots of trees. Downside? Tourists.

Columbia? Up and coming retirement area. Concentrate you search in the Lexington and Lake Murray area. Lots of boating and stuff to do. Also good medical facilities and enough big town amenities to keep you satisfied. Downside? Not quite 'upper class' yet, some crime issues. More 'rednecky' than other places. Maurice's BBQ kicks a$s.

Charleston and surrounding area. Awesome. Can't go wrong with a place in Mt. Pleasant. Can be pricy though. Traffic can be an issue as well.

Have you considered the Beauforts? There is one in NC across the inlet from Morhead City and one in SC on the way out to Hilton Head. Nice coastal communities. Downside? Both are sort of military towns (Cherry Point MCAS and Beaufort MCAS). Lock up your daughters if you got 'em.

I live in Apex NC, outside of Raleigh (near Cary). As a family of four in our mid thirties it is perfect for us. Lots of continuing education opportunities for us with all the universities in the area. We have a small but growing retirement population. Probably the best medical care in the two states.

Happy hunting.

Joking aside, there are plenty of people that believe crap like that. Among all the other stereotypes that have been propagated by Hollywood. Yet another reason why we don't like the interlopers from up north.

It was a joke. You still sore we won the war? We all know you guys can read...

In all seriousness, I think the nicest people in the world are from the south (excluding Florida). I am planning on moving to SC or NC in the near future.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips. I must admit that I can see
how the southerners would get upset w/ us yankees
if we insulted them.

I am a native New Yorker but I have been midwesternized. Everytime I vist my home town in NY I realize that I like the midwest more and more.
It would suck to move down south only to find yourself unwelcome. It sounds like the southern charm has gone out the window for us northerners.

Oh well, Florida is sounding better and better.

Latest resources

Back