Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where do you draw the "entertainment" line in the cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another regional pilot speaks his mind. I'm sure that your ops manual does not allow this type of activity. Thanks for your insight.

Does anybody understand the term context??

So I'm sure while you're crewing your (non-regional) aircraft you don't talk while taxing and of course never below 10,000? And of course you never read anything except your ATIS, jeps, or ops manual while in flight.... You're my hero.

Last edited:
The CVR also cannot be used in discipline of flight crews or presented as evidence in enforcement proceedings. Under any circumstances.

This is a vey misleading statement. If the NTSB takes possession of the CVR as a result of an accident/incident investigation the above statement is true. Until that time it is the property of the company and they can use it for any purpose they want. The same is true for FDR data. I have seen both of them used to initiate disciplinary action against pilots - including termination -and I have seen both of them used by pilots to exonerate thmeslves of trumped up charges. Keep in mind the company you work for can do whatever they want with CVR recordings and FDR data. It is the FAA that is restricted from using it.

So as a Status Rep at Pinnacle, you didn't have the opportunity to represent someone who was caught violating the Ops Manual

Of course, on many occasions. However, I never had to represent someone for reading or doing something else to pass the time on the flight deck. Anyone that would care about such a thing is an even bigger tool than the average Pinnacle manager.

before you abandoned your pilot group during negotiations to take a job at a non ALPA carrier?

Ah, I was wondering how long it would take you or one of the other RJDC wankers to try that avenue of attack. Maybe you view it as a "noble" calling to become a regional lifer, but most of us went to the regionals as a stepping stone. While there, I worked my ass off to make it better for those that would come after me. I think most of the pilots that I represented would agree that I did a pretty decent job of that.

And by the way, I don't expect AirTran to be a non-ALPA carrier for many more years.

"Some of you guys really need to remove that stick from your rectum"

Ummm I like it when the shaker goes off though!!! OOOOOOOO........:)

That will put a smile on your face :)

Re: Where do you draw the "enterainment" line

Maybe you view it as a "noble" calling to become a regional lifer, but most of us went to the regionals as a stepping stone.

A former ALPA rep referring to some of his recent constituents as "lifers" in the pejorative sense while admiting he was just making that perfunctory low pass on the way to the big time. This is why ALPA has problems.

So, you still have some resumes out or are you going to be a lifer at AirTran?

And by the way, I don't expect AirTran to be a non-ALPA carrier for many more years.

They seem to be doing alright without ALPA. Why would they give up their sovranty - because you've arrived?

Are you planning to change you're moniker of ALPA's president to something other than "Darth" Prater for that recruiting drive?

Last edited:
A former ALPA rep referring to some of his recent constituents as "lifers" in the pejorative sense while admiting he was just making that perfunctory low pass on the way to the big time. This is why ALPA has problems.

Do you expect ALPA reps at the regionals to all be lifers? Do you think that they're the only ones that can properly represent regional pilots? I'm just curious.

So, you still have some resumes out or are you going to be a lifer at AirTran?

Lifer. I'm happy here.

They seem to be doing alright without ALPA. Why would they give up their sovranty

Sovranty? Did hookd on foniks werk for yu? :rolleyes: Independent unions simply can't provide the same services and support that ALPA can. Our guys do their best, but they've got one hand tied behind their back compared to ALPA.

Are you planning to change you're moniker of ALPA's president to something other than "Darth" Prater for that recruiting drive?

Not planning on any recruiting drive, but no, it's Darth Prater until he recognizes that the majority rules. Prater is the worst thing that's happened to ALPA in many years. But he's only one man, and the organization itself is still far superior to anything else out there.

Re: Where do you draw the "entertainment" line

Do you expect ALPA reps at the regionals to all be lifers?

That would be nice. Someone totally vested in the company is a big plus. I don't want someone like you making decisions on the direction my MEC takes if you're trying to leave at the first opportunity. It makes me feel better if the representative making the call has to live with the consequences. Nevermind your stunning assertion that following the Ops Manual is tantamount to having a stick up your butt.

You gave your insincerity away when you brand a segment of your former constituents as "lifers." It's a pejorative term used by big airplane pilots to set apart other union members as something "less than."

I have a great deal of respect for those who volunteer their time as a union representative.

On the other hand, I don't have any respect for those who are just checking another "leadership" box they can talk about at the interview: ie "As a status rep., I worked with management to resolve several disputes between the union and the company blah, blah, blah."

Comair had a guy running for status rep. He was elected but I'm not sure he served even one day. He left for the "greener pastures." So at the same time he was encouraging pilots to vote for him, he must have been sending out resumes, filling out applications and interviewing. This guy checked "willing to serve" but he obviously didn't mean it so Comair pilots had to go through the same election process all over again.

As long as individuals on the MEC believe Pinnacle is not a career airline and are working as hard as they can to move on, Pinnacle is doomed to never become a career airline.

We fixed that problem at Comair until we were dragged into bankruptcy recently. But we'll do it again.

Sovranty? Did hookd on foniks werk for yu? :rolleyes:
Your sass has been noted:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sovranty

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back