• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When you know aircaft and base for Horizon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im not saying our CBA is perferct, but at my experience level (regionals)I've flown a couple of other places and one of which is the best regional in alot of peoples eyes and I think it is better than the other two places. As for teamsters, it is our first contract but also was completed just before 9/11 so we'll see what happens next year when the contract expires.

I figured the "first contract" excuse would come up, I just didn't think it would be in the very first post.

Now watch how many more will come out in defense of this POS. I guess when you come straight from being a CFI anything would look good. No wonder they like to keep that UND pipeline open.

I guess you missed the part of the post saying that I had flown at couple of other places at the regional level before horizon. And compared to the other places the majority of this POS as you call it is better.

Sioux115 said:
I guess you missed the part of the post saying that I had flown at couple of other places at the regional level before horizon.

I didn't miss that at all and when I said "you" I wasn't talking about YOU personally. I guess you missed that I didn't quote your post (or anyone else's). I simply offered my opinions and observations.

How easily everyone on this board gets offended and how everyone thinks it's all about THEM.

Yank McCobb said:
They don't require you to stay in the hotel, either in PDX during ground training or SEA for sim, as far as I know.

To figure out how much you "take home"...take the guarantee and multiply it by the lowest hourly rate, minus out your typical taxes and add in at best $300 for per diem. "Overblock"?? I suggest you talk to someone about this great contract they work under. It is the most ridiculous document I have ever heard of in 30 years of airline flying.

Happy with the Teamsters? See how happy you are after you read the contract. Ask some simple questions such as "why do you get paid -200 rate even though you are a 3rd year Q400 or CRJ pilot?" Ask "why do I not get to bid on my initial domicile or aircraft assignment and if I want to bid out of this assignment...which I can only do after 2 years and then only to a "higher paying" airframe, why do I have to start over at the bottom of THAT payscale?" Ask, "why does any adjustment to my monthly pay credits come off of the guarantee instead of the line value?" Ask "how is it possible to change the schedules after the bid lines have come out and the bidding closed so that now the trips that are awarded are NOT what you bid, and why is my only pay protection in this case the minimum guarantee instead of my original line value?"

There are tons more you could ask. Go ahead, think of some. Then ask the Teamsters (or the Horizon pilot representatives of such).

Keep in mind that you don't see too many threads about horizon on this site, and you certainly don't see any of our pilots posting this garbage. Overall, its a pretty happy work with some old gray dogs who have been around the block. Our union knows how to handle our management. Many don't know this, but we were approached with concessions, with the promise of growth before the Frontier deal and we told them to shove it up thier @ss. They got the deal anyway.

So are you trying to say that ANY of that information I posted is inaccurate? That those are NOT provisions of your current CBA?

If so, you are out and out LYING. Or you are just too stupid to know the difference.

I have an idea. Ask to be paid Q400 pay since you are flying that aircraft. Or if you have reached that "magic" company number where you actually qualify to be paid for the aircraft you fly, then bid over to the CRJ. I mean, they are putting new hires in it. When you get there, ask for 4th or 5th year (or whatever year you are) pay. When they tell you no, tell them to "shove it up their @ss" then see how much help your union will be getting YOUR @ss out of the crack it will be in.

Last edited:
DoubleDown said:
Keep in mind that you don't see too many threads about horizon on this site, and you certainly don't see any of our pilots posting this garbage. Overall, its a pretty happy work with some old gray dogs who have been around the block. Our union knows how to handle our management. Many don't know this, but we were approached with concessions, with the promise of growth before the Frontier deal and we told them to shove it up thier @ss. They got the deal anyway.

You don't want to know how pissed I would be if we had taken those concessions for the promise of "growth" and they still ended up reducing PDX flying to ship it out to DEN when it was all said and done.

Yank, the Teamsters aren't perfect like your holy grail that is called ALPA.

Yank:

You are a retired Southwest pilot, right?

Not flamebait, but what's your interest in Horizon? I never see you post about anyone else's contract, (maybe I missed it) or for the non-union carriers, work rules.

I don't understand the QX contract as well as you do, because I haven't been in the industry as long as you have. I understand your objections to the current contract, but I wonder if you were (or are) well-acquainted with the circumstances at the time of its ratification.

My sense is that some aspects of compensation and work rules in the contract are pretty good. Hourly rates are very good (industry-leading?) for new hires, even RJ new-hires. Per diem is good. Rigs seem decent. What's your perspective? Does the contract have any redeeming qualities?

Are all those 4-, 5-, and 6-year FO's the dimmest bulbs in the industry? Or is there some other quality about Horizon keeping folks there?

Latest resources

Back