Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PurpleTail said:
Ok, I call BS on that.

If you are on the MD11 (either seat) and based in MEM, you're getting called for DFT, period. Scheduling is hurting so bad that in the last couple of weeks there have been SEVERAL MEM based pilots flying LAX trips with an LAX crewmember. That is not a rumor, that is a FACT and I can even give you dates and flight numbers to verify it.

Lets get the contract we deserve and have already earned, then go fly all the DFT you want, IT WILL STILL BE THERE!!! I believe in this pilot group as a whole and have confidense in my MEC. We will prevail.

I am a MEM MD11 FO, and I have not been called for DRF either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like scheduling knows who the 'players' are. Once they've got your number, sts, then they just keep you on speed dial.

VLT comes before DRF

FoxHunter said:
The last time I was called for a draft was last December and that was the first time in at least three years, probably five years. I guess they must have lost my telephone number.:(

When you list yourself for VLT every day they don't need to call you for DRF. How many VLT trips have you done lately?

fr8doggie said:
When you list yourself for VLT every day they don't need to call you for DRF. How many VLT trips have you done lately?

Can't remember the last time I put myself on the VLT list. How many VLT trips lately??? None:eek: How many in the last three years? I think one. I don't know about all you guys getting those draft calls??? Must be because they knew they could depend on you. They gave up draft last week is my guess!!:puke:

I cant wait for the day when shareholders can fly the airplanes with their computers, then they really would have a point when the company does nothing but worship them

1. Not flying overtime has not helped UPS in the pace or effectiveness of their negotiations, why would it help us?

UPS, a year ahead of us in contract negotiations, has not flown draft since management announced that they would furlough 50 pilots about three years ago. I don't see their negotiations benefiting from this decision in either pace or effectiveness.

Why?

UPS, like FedEx, has an amazing amount of slop in their system. Look at your loads next time you fly. If a flight to SYR cancells for lack of pilots, the ROC flight has plenty of room....and that crew then gets the pleasure of being involuntarily assigned an additional leg, after showtime, thereby cutting their crewrest from 12 hours to 9. Think about it ...there are probably 10 or more flights to the LA basin ever day....and they are not all full...you can lose one or more and still not lose any revenue. We have tons of reserve, airport standbys, sweep flights, hotel standbys and half full planes that can be re-routed.

2. The union has not taken a position on this matter.

As I see it there are only two reasons. First, it could be interpreted as an illegal job action. Or second, it is not helpful to our negotiations at this time.

3. The union speaks clearlY.

They don't want us to fly disputed pairings....that could not be more clear. The union has said to fly the contract...we fly the contract.

I CHALLANGE ANYONE TO PROVIDE CONCRETE UNION GUIDANCE SPECIFICALLY ADDRESSING OVERTIME FLYING.

4. To stop flying overtime now will take away a negotiating tool when it is legal and most effective.

If we implement a word of mouth campaign slowly and haphazardly to stop extra flying, the company will time to effectively modify its manning or schedules to cope with the change.

A better alternative is, once released into self help, for the union to take an offical position to stop overtime and implement it on a specific day. The more dependant the company is on overtime flying now the more effective it will be for us when it is legal to take away later.

5. Let cool heads and logic prevail.

As far as I am aware, the company has not engaged in any illegal job actions. They have not fired pilots indiscrimenately, failed union leaders on their annual checkrides or taken any other actions barred by the RLA.

Every email I have recived about negotiations from our union point to coninuing, yet slow, progress.

We as union members have an equally important requirement to both follow the law and our union leadership.

This is a long frustrating process, avoid the temptation to take action from "side" groups or "rouge" attempts to influence negotionations. Don't let your emotions make you an easy target by advocating an illegal job action that will potentially put your job and career in jeapordy.

I am sure this will generate a lot of "emotional" personal attacks about greed....but please look above and see that every logical argument raised is not about money or personal gain....its about whats best for us as a whole.

PurpleTail said:
Ok, I call BS on that.

If you are on the MD11 (either seat) and based in MEM, you're getting called for DFT, period. Scheduling is hurting so bad that in the last couple of weeks there have been SEVERAL MEM based pilots flying LAX trips with an LAX crewmember. That is not a rumor, that is a FACT and I can even give you dates and flight numbers to verify it.

Lets get the contract we deserve and have already earned, then go fly all the DFT you want, IT WILL STILL BE THERE!!! I believe in this pilot group as a whole and have confidense in my MEC. We will prevail.

I hate to break it to you, but I'm a local MEM MD-11 F/O and I haven't had a call looking for draft in the past 9 months (since I've been on the aircraft). Granted, military leave doesn't leave a bunch of holes in my schedule so maybe they just pass by my name....fine with me. I'm not saying some guys aren't getting drafted, but I don't think it is as much as people think. AVA, Makeup, etc....different story. Look at open time.....there isn't anything there. I usually sit reserve work about 1/2 as many days as the months I fly a regular line. If they aren't calling me much on reserve, they don't need to draft on a regular basis.
I hear the stories about the overtime in the hub and I've got to believe the company is loving the fact that this crap is all over these boards. Save your money. I'll see you on the line if it gets to that......and no.... I won't cross.

I get called- sometimes 5 times a week, then not for a looong time. MD-11 MEM f/o, living in MEM.

I'm a MD-11 FO in MEM who has been on the aircraft for 10 months. I am on the "I prefer not to be called" list and until 2 weeks ago had not been called for DFT a single time (makes sense). But, while on vacation, I was called for a draft trip on a Saturday morning. Either that was a mistake, or fewer people are accepting draft trips and scheduling called me even though I have asked not to be called.

Latest resources

Back