• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wheels up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you add in constant international flying, airline flying can be a bit more difficult givin the language differences, different regulations and procedures. Not to mention 121 seems to be a bit more " under the microscope" than 91/135... I don't recall the FAA ever showing up to do a line check at NjA, but have had 2 or 3 FAA guys in the Jumpseat over the past 6 months..( on 6+ hr flights to boot) at the airline. Factor in airlines are not simply starting up and taxiing out from an FBO at uncontrolled fields. We have to deal with ATC, ramp controls, tug drivers, FA's getting their safety briefings done before we reach the end of the runway. EtOPs paper work, load close outs, Maintemaince sign offs, prelim and final numbers...

Never really consider a pop up trip to an uncontrolled field all that difficult at NJA.. But I tell guys all the time that getting an ASE to some Podunk field in NC was fun because it was different..

IMO airline flying is more challenging when you factor in everything.

Really? ATC, ramp control, FA briefings, paperwork and maintenance sign offs are difficult? I guess the ATC I work with is different than yours. I guess coordinating my own DEICE is easier than ramp control. I guess giving my own briefings prior to engine start is easy when the pax just want to go. I guess we don't deal with maintenance and the ensuing paperwork.

Your experience in the 91/135 world seems to be different than mine. Try being the one to explain directly to the pax why there is a delay when everyone else told him not to expect anything. Try being the one to explain to the passenger why the airplane is perfectly safe even with an MEL'd item. Try coordinating a potential weather diversion when you have the security on board for a foreign dignitary who is behind you on a different ATC frequency.

The easiest part of my job is flying the airplane.

"IMO airline flying is more challenging when you factor in everything" by "Bent Over"

Dude,

Are you serious? The airlines do almost everything for you, including cleaning the plane, putting food/drinks on the aircraft, packing the bags, fueling the aircraft, scheduling hotels, and taking care of expenses on the road. Oh I forgot to mention, 121 OPS generally only fly to a handfull of airports that are "approved" in your OPS Specs, and most likely they are Part 139 airports as well. And I bet you don't get dispatched to airports with Lat/Long coordinates and your sitting in some FBO looking at WSI weather reports wondering if you can "get in there"... So don't feed us that b/s...

91K/135 is equally as challenging, if not more challenging than 121 operations. I've done both extensively, and sometimes wish I had the luxury of 121 flying.

Fractionals provide weather, dispatch releases, flight planning etc.. Just like the airlines.... Sorry if I don't think coffee, ice and papers was all that challenging. And taking 4 minutes to dirt devil the carpet or throw the trash bag on the ramp is hardly a challenge.

Not insinuating ATC, and radio calls to ramp controls are challenging. What I'm saying is there are a lot more moving parts to pushing on time, and correctly at major airports without screwing up. Especially at international airports with language barriers. Sorry, but pulling out of the FBO on the other side of the airport, or taxiing out at some Podunk airport with no tower didn't come as all that difficult.

At my airline we pull up our own release, (not from a BB while sitting in the FBO lounge) pull up our own WSI style print outs, and use LAT/ LONG coordinates while plotting for flight across the Pacific. Also plot ETP's..

The interesting thing about Fractionals is the variety of airport combinations flown to. But i don't see the number of moving parts having to work in unison at the fractional as I do at the airlines...( not including behind the scenes catering, rental cars etc.. That places like NJA have software for)

tBOne, have you ever flown 121 long haul internationa? If your experience is primarily 91/135/91k. You should probably save your comments for things you have knowledge of...

2000Easyguy......sorry I forgot this is FI and the type of people I'm dealing with... I suppose you make assumptions about every one you meet based on a few lines on a web forum.

I'll save my comments for the NJA discussion and Majors forums.... I forgot that the fractional guys have such a chip on their shoulder about the work they do and how dare anyone have a difference of opinion about how difficult it is to brief a few passengers about a delay. I guess 260 passengers boarding a plane when the gate agents decide its time, but there will most likely be a plane swap due to maintenance issues is a breeze since we just turn left.

Yes, operating for Wheels Up is going to be very challenging, they should be paid 300k and far surpass any airline guy. Proceed with your discussion.

Last edited:
Fractionals provide weather, dispatch releases, flight planning etc.. Just like the airlines.... Sorry if I don't think coffee, ice and papers was all that challenging. And taking 4 minutes to dirt devil the carpet or throw the trash bag on the ramp is hardly a challenge.

Not insinuating ATC, and radio calls to ramp controls are challenging. What I'm saying is there are a lot more moving parts to pushing on time, and correctly at major airports without screwing up. Especially at international airports with language barriers. Sorry, but pulling out of the FBO on the other side of the airport, or taxiing out at some Podunk airport with no tower didn't come as all that difficult.

At my airline we pull up our own release, (not from a BB while sitting in the FBO lounge) pull up our own WSI style print outs, and use LAT/ LONG coordinates while plotting for flight across the Pacific. Also plot ETP's..

The interesting thing about Fractionals is the variety of airport combinations flown to. But i don't see the number of moving parts having to work in unison at the fractional as I do at the airlines...( not including behind the scenes catering, rental cars etc.. That places like NJA have software for)

tBOne, have you ever flown 121 long haul internationa? If your experience is primarily 91/135/91k. You should probably save your comments for things you have knowledge of...

2000Easyguy......sorry I forgot this is FI and the type of people I'm dealing with... I suppose you make assumptions about every one you meet based on a few lines on a web forum.

I'll save my comments for the NJA discussion and Majors forums.... I forgot that the fractional guys have such a chip on their shoulder about the work they do and how dare anyone have a difference of opinion about how difficult it is to brief a few passengers about a delay. I guess 260 passengers boarding a plane when the gate agents decide its time, but there will most likely be a plane swap due to maintenance issues is a breeze since we just turn left.

Yes, operating for Wheels Up is going to be very challenging, they should be paid 300k and far surpass any airline guy. Proceed with your discussion.

Lol...

I don't think there are any 20yr old Riddle Rats at Wheels up

That was my point.

They will populate the pilot ranks with whatever they are willing to invest the money for.

If they feel they can operate with inexperienced "time builders" then a sub-par pay structure is what they will offer.

That was my point.

They will populate the pilot ranks with whatever they are willing to invest the money for.

If they feel they can operate with inexperienced "time builders" then a sub-par pay structure is what they will offer.
I remember NJ back in the late 90's 2500 TT and you got a job flying as F/o
for 30K a year. I know a guy got hired there with less than 1000 fixed wing time.

I remember NJ back in the late 90's 2500 TT and you got a job flying as F/o
for 30K a year. I know a guy got hired there with less than 1000 fixed wing time.

I remember speaking with a NetJets recruiter in 98. It was pay for train (pay for the interview sim, too, if I remember correctly), captains made something like 50K a year. I laughed at him and walked away. Thought that was a great decision until '07, then I had to second guess myself. But who could know? I wonder how many NJ guys on here so indignant about others dragging down the profession took the job under those late 90's terms?

How many former Avantair pilots hired so far?

What's the latest news? Are there specific bases already set-up in the Northeast (TEB or BED)?

Latest resources

Back