Whats up with SkyWest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ual727fo said:
After reading the agreement, and seeing how it works on the UAL MEC site, I can shed a bit of light here.

They way it is set up, a furloughee has to fill out a form that specifies which carrier they would like to participate in the agreement with, or not at all. If a form is not filled out, the furloughee is skipped over in seniority order.

What that means then, is that unless you have expressed interest in flying for Skywest or Mesa or both, you will not even be considered in the program.

So an offer won't even be given to a furloughee unless they want it.

The last round of offers stopped at a furlough date of July, so it seems there is quite a bit of interest in the program for Skywest. The last round for Mesa went all the way back to October 2002, so there is a bit more room there.

Let me know if I can clarify any questions you have.

Randy

That's the way I see it, too. Like I said in my previous post, if the offer is turned down (for whatever reason) it counts towards the quota.

AF:)

Why the heck would the furloughs at United want to come to Skywest. The pay is CRAP, even second year FO pay sucks. I fly with several Jet FOs that are trying to find other jobs because they can't pay the bills, and they can hold fairly good lines. You'll be on reserve and the reserve rules NEED A LOT of work, trust me, I've done that reserve thing here and I wouldn't wish it upon an enemy. And to top it off, we get paid the same for 50-99 seats.

I'm not sure, but I've been told that United furloughs get paid more on unemployment than our FOs get paid here.

Sorry to get so negative. I just can't figure it out.

Bako Cap said:

I'm not sure, but I've been told that United furloughs get paid more on unemployment than our FOs get paid here.

Let's see if I remember.....

Unemployment in CA pays, I think, $370/wk.

Newhire F/O gets $19.02/hr with a 75hr/month guarantee.

19.02 x 75 = $1426.50/month x 12 = $17,118/yr guarantee.

17,118/52 = 329.19/wk.

If a newhire goes to the jet, he/she can figure not getting paid for the first two months. That would make their first year guarantee at $14,265. Divide that by 52 and you get an average weekly guarantee of $274.33.

Consider a newhire at In and Out Burger who works full time and makes $9.00/hour. At 40 hours per week this worker will make $18,270 his first year or $360/wk.

A guy in class told me that if I had started out at McDonalds ten years ago and went through their management training program that I would have made more money than I have made flying for the last 10 years.

It's a sickness. Somebody find a cure.

GP

Well, for a UAL guy comming to skywest on second year jet pay...

$35/hr X 70 hr/mo guarentee = $2450/mo or $29400/year

$2450 / 4 = $612.50/wk

Also you don't get benifits on unempolyment.

Scott

Sometimes it's not all about the money.

The fact is, I am doing pretty well at a business I started since I've been furloughed, but you know what - I miss flying!!

Flying is one of those things done for love, not money.

Actually, medical for the furloughed guys are covered by Cobra and the Union for the first year or so, so it would definitely be a pay cut to go to work for another airline.

Bako Cap, to answer your question, I would take the job to be flying an airplane.

Randy

Feel free to not work here should you be so inclined:

Bitter furloughs bent out of shape by the way they have been treated by their former employers then handed a job vs. intervieved newhires (regardless of where they came from) who truely want to work for this company and appreciate the opportunity, who do you think would contribute more to the company, pilot group and managemant both, you make the call...

I know more than a couple of UAL castaways who are more than pleased to be flying for SkyWest. These folks I welcome with open arms.

Last edited:
UAL272fo,

It's people like you why I have to fly a 70-90 seat aircraft at the same pay as a 50 seater. Some of us don't have other income and pilots who "fly for the love of it" should rent a C-172 on the weekends because they can afford it.

I bet you would take my job at half the pay, "just to be flying again" Just like a bunch of FreeDumb pilots who wanted to fly a cool 70-90 seater for a fraction of the Mesa pay.

The scourge of the RJ can only be halted by increasing the pay at the regionals. The more RJs being flown at the regionals at CRAP pay, the less of a chance I have to move up to a bigger airline for more pay. And if I have to fly a 50-90 seat aircraft, I'd rather be flying it for the major partner.

I LOVE to fly and I also want to fly cooler and bigger aircraft, but I want to get paid for it.

Bako Cap
Your type of attitude is getting old. I'm sick and tired of people being bashed because they "love flying." Are we supposed to hate our jobs first and than maybe we'll make more money? Is it not possible to enjoy your job and at the same time demand better pay? Instead of getting on ual727fo about his love of flying, why don't you direct your criticism to the piolts who voted in the same pay for bigger planes?

Torpid,

Reread my post. We are on the same wavelength. I REALLY LOVE TO FLY! but I want to get paid for it. A bunch of people who don't care about pay because they have other means voted to fly cooler aircraft at the same pay. Management knows how much we love to fly and uses it against us. I know how difficult it is not to fly for a long time, flying is like "Pilot Crack," gotta have it. But, it's just one of the many reasons why regional FOs get paid less than McDonalds employees.

Yeah, I was a bit hard on UAL272fo. I guess I shouldn't have looked at my paycheck before logging on.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back