Whats up with SkyWest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flightmahtman4n

Just curious if anyone knows what SkyWest plans are right now with hiring? There was some movement for a while, I have not seen anything going on lately? Anyone know?

I hate to say this, but we are probably going to only be hiring furloughed UAL types for a while since they negotiated a deal for the 70's.

Hang in there though, maybe some will go to Mesa or stay on unemployment!:)

It's 150 (or thereabout) guys coming from UAL.....................if they take the offer. They can turn it down, but it counts towards the the required quota. SGU is probably going to front load this in order to get the requirement out of the way so as to not hold up the -70 orders.

That is all......................

AF:)

What Artic said is true. The key word is "offer" So if a furlough is offered a job and for whatever reason, then thats one person less that takes the job and one person closer to hiring off the street. I think some furloughed employees may decide to collect unemployment or do something else so who knows how many actual furloughs we'll take.

Hang in there!

ARGH!

I'm dying here waiting to hear good news from the Skywest brothers and sisters! Are the internal recommendations still getting interviews? (Not that I should be so lucky)

Still, 150 seems like a low number...

I guess another year of instructing

What are some of the competitive mins for off the street? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I just want to hear it one more time

I think they were looking at people with around 1500 TT and a couple of hundred multi, but I do believe that after interviews on the 11th and one more later this month no new interviews are being scheduled.

Also, the interview information link on SkyWestPilot.com has been totally removed...

Also see the thread I started on the Majors board asking how many would be taking up offers at SkyWest/Mesa.

Seems the jobs are going pretty junior so maybe the 150 job OFFERS won't be much of a factor.

That many only need to be offered jobs, if they don't accept, our obligation to UAL/UALPA is satisfied, and our brothers/sisters from the pool get their jobs...

I think you guys may be oversimplifying the situation. Its not just 150 OFFERS, its a 150 initial openings, if it takes 800 guys to reach the 150 takers then that's what it will take. Skywest doesn't have to maintain the number at 150, but at least that many will have to ACCEPT a job OFFER in order to satisfy the agreement.

Right now some people are trying to paint a rosy picture to calm the troops, but it is not as simple as Rogue5 indicates.

SSDD said:
I think you guys may be oversimplifying the situation. Its not just 150 OFFERS, its a 150 initial openings, if it takes 800 guys to reach the 150 takers then that's what it will take. Skywest doesn't have to maintain the number at 150, but at least that many will have to ACCEPT a job OFFER in order to satisfy the agreement.

Right now some people are trying to paint a rosy picture to calm the troops, but it is not as simple as Rogue5 indicates.

From the MOU, "2. A Participating Feeder Carrier shall make offers for new hire positions to Eligible Furloughed Pilots in a number equal to five (5) times the number of Qualifying Aircraft to be operated and on terms described herein. Of these five (5) offers, at least three (3) will be offers for new hire positions in Small Jet aircraft. Such new hire position offers need not be in Qualifying Aircraft. Once such offers have been made, even if the Participating Feeder Carrier has not been provided with a sufficient number of Eligible Furloughed Pilots to fill the new hire positions, the Participating Feeder Carrier's obligation to make offers for the purpose of operating Qualifying Aircraft under the terms of this letter shall be satisfied."

Sounds like we offer 150 guys jobs and they are free to accept or reject. Beyond that, we fulfilled our obligation.

AF
:)

After reading the agreement, and seeing how it works on the UAL MEC site, I can shed a bit of light here.

They way it is set up, a furloughee has to fill out a form that specifies which carrier they would like to participate in the agreement with, or not at all. If a form is not filled out, the furloughee is skipped over in seniority order.

What that means then, is that unless you have expressed interest in flying for Skywest or Mesa or both, you will not even be considered in the program.

So an offer won't even be given to a furloughee unless they want it.

The last round of offers stopped at a furlough date of July, so it seems there is quite a bit of interest in the program for Skywest. The last round for Mesa went all the way back to October 2002, so there is a bit more room there.

Let me know if I can clarify any questions you have.

Randy

Latest resources

Back