Whats up with SkyWest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SGU,

The FLL rumor has been around since before the IAH rumor. IAH is now a reality. I havn't heard anything on FLL lately. We're supposedly going to do CAL connection there. There was also a new Dash 8 pulling out of the hangar is SLC a couple of weeks ago going back to Canada.

Scott

Bako Cap,

I guess I should look at my pay check too - wait, I don't have one!!

Yes I love flying, and I worked for a major airline at 3rd year pre 9/11 wages. Now, I don't have that option, but I do have a few. Those options are Skywest or Mesa. Skywest is where I would like to be. I will not forgo a paycheck for flying an airplane simply to keep you happy - we are not talking about crossing a picket line, or a Freedom Air act here. We are talking about a pilot, who doesn't fly, wanting a job flying for a good company.

I have been on the street and made the best of it by starting my own business, but until you spend some time on the street after flight instructing, flying cargo, flying for a regional and finally making it - with over a thousand piltos under you on the seniority list, then have it all yanked away - don't preach. It has been a long time since I've been looking at the sunset from the sky, and I miss it. If you are really that jaded, take some time off - like 8 months or so. You will soon appreciate the industry for what it is.

I am not the reason, and neither are pilots "like me" that Skywest is flying 70 seat RJs for 50 seat wages - the market is. Do you really think that in this market, pilots can afford to just "band together" and refuse to fly? I've seen what that can do to an airline's culture, and let me tell you, it isn't pretty and it does nothing for the industry as a whole.

Off my soap box now - feel free to flame.

Randy

Randy,

I applaud your attitude and look forward to seeing you in the crew room.

Yes, Skywest has its share of problems. The whole industry has problems right now. I agree that we need to keep working to improve our pay and standard of living. I don't think the way to accomplish that is by bashing each other on web boards.

I think if we want to be treated like professionals, we must act like professionals. I have commuted on UAL weekly for the last 6 months and have been treated with respect. Those UAL pilots who CHOOSE to come to Skywest will be treated with respect as well.

Doesn't anyone realize.....

It seems that Skywest pilots are flying 70 seaters for 50 seater prices. Let's look at the situation. There are NO 70 seaters at Skywest yet, and management is saying possibly Jan but more likely March. Well the "agreement" was only for 18 months, and it was signed 7 months ago. That leaves 11 months left. In March there will only be 4 months left on the agreement. It seems that the Skywest pilots will have to fly them for the same wage for 4 months. Seems like Skywest pilots may have outsmarted management on this one. They are still about the highest paid and most stable company in the regionals, with about the best work rules and NO furloughs, and they are still hiring. We need to think before we bash, or is it just ENVY?

Doggie

Doggie

The agreement covers the 18 month period of July 1st, 2003 to December 31st 2004.

As far as the "pilots may have outsmarted management statement" -- thats about the stupidest thing I've ever read on this message board. The only one that feels good about this pay package is management.

Last edited:
Here's some more info on the whole 50/70 TA.

Uncle Jerry showed up at a recent skyw checkairman meeting. He said that we (pilots in the 50 seat RJ) are still OVERPAID! So those of you who are under the impression that things are going to get better after the 18mo TA is up are just kidding yourselves.
I believe that we will be stuck at these pay rates for ALOT longer than just 18mo.
After all what power do we have to fight it???

Oh, and congrats on all you UAL furloghees that get to come work here at Skywest (and start at second year pay). I'm getting the feeling that somehow I'm subsidizing this. After all UAL wasn't going to give Skywest a high enough fee for departure so WE could get the extra pay for the 70 seater, because they (UAL) needed that extra money so they could pay Skywest for their superior furloghed pilots to come fly OUR 70 seaters.

Becoming a little bitter, sorry.

It's all in the Kool-Aid, SGU style.

Latest resources

Back