Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats the longest flight/trip you've made in a light airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Longest Flight?

Longest trip I've done in a single engine airplane was this past summer with 2 friends from college... we flew a Piper Cherokee Six from Jacksonville, Florida to Fairbanks, Alaska and down to Homer, Alaska before returning via the "trench" to Prince George, Seattle, Denver and back home to Jacksonville. All told about 80 hours of flight time over 3 weeks. Over 4,500 nm travelled.

Longest single stage distance in a single engine airplane that I have personally flown was from Watson Lake, Yukon to Prince George, BC with a stage length of 550nm in the Cherokee Six.

I love long flights - actually feel like you did something.

Sounds like you guys have had some great/interesting flights. Keep it going.

When it comes to light airplanes, I've done Kemmerer Wyoming to Bethel Alaska in a C421 and down throughout Mexico several times in an Aztec and a Cessna 340. If I can find a good enough seat cushion, my goal is to get an Aeronca 7AC Champ and fly it to all of the lower 48 states.

'Sled

Hey LXA whats fuel going for in Watson Lake these days? I paid well over 3.00$ (litre I think) in '95 and was darn glad to pay it after diverting from Whitehorse! Its a great trip I would like to do again someday.

San Jose to Phoenix in a Waco ASO-9

8 hours, 3 fuel stops, highway speeds, some extremely chapped lips, and 2 SORE ASSES. Not to mention the trim that's in notches, none of which neutralizes the stick. Actually, come to think of it, I was the trim.

Wouldn't trade it for the world.

06C (Schaumburg, IL)- DSM- TUL-AFW.....back the next day. 17 hours round trip...in an Archer.

Was at night the whole way down and half the way back up....CRAZY. Wouldnt trade that trip for much of anything but damn i was stupid doing that single engine at night.

This thread is still running? Just briefly browsing though no mentions of serious ferry flights.

My longest non-stop flight in a small aircraft was a C-182 from PHTO (Hilo, HI) to KOAK (Oakland, CA). 15:45 total duration. Oh yeah, no Autopilot, position reports on a HF radio that was connected to antenna that had to be manually matched to each frequency. That and the aircraft is seriously over gross by 30% (with FAA approval of course - Special Flight Permit). It was a real handful till you got burned down to normal max gross weight.

Have had longer "trips", multiple legs.

I am sure that there are some other overwater ferry pilots that could eclipse my flight.

Good Luck To Us All!

Last edited:
Shamus said:
I think I have you all beat, (granted I didn't take the time to read all 200 posts) . I've crossed the pond in a King Air A90 with no auto pilot from Ft. lauderdale to Paris. It was 22 flight hours in a 32 hour period.

I have another, granted I haven't do it yet, but the offer is there (I don't think I;m going to either). flying a Piper Pawnee (true airspeed of about 120 mph) from Kanasas City down to Argentina. Endurance of 2.5 to 3 hours, and stoping at all the islands for fuel and a ton of customs paperwork. A pawnee is atick and rudder, hence, no auto pilot. I think it is just under 60 hous.

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to box up the pawnee and ship it my sea?

Anyone know how long it would take to get to Columbia in a 421? Ive got, uh, friends I need to see there that want to sell me a large white cheese block.

Latest resources

Back