Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats the longest flight/trip you've made in a light airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ercoupe 415 with a C-85, Longview, Texas to Calgary via Longview, Washington.

Ercoupe 415 Longview, Texas to Bangor, Maine to Waxhaw, North Carolina to Longview.

PA-31-350- Chicago to Lomalinda, Colombia to Chicago 5 times

PA-31-350- Chicago to Valledupar, Colombia 3 times

C-206- Anchorage to Chicago 22.0 hours 5 fuel stops.

Many long trips in small airplanes

I flew from W00(freeway) near the DC ADIZ to AUS 2 days ago in a Mooney. Had 25 knots of head wind most of the way. If we had gone the day before we would have had 84 knots at one point, it was worth the wait.

I have flown a Cherokee 140 from MSY (New Orleans) to the SF Bay Area and back 4.5 days of flying in 7 days.

I have flown A T182 from MSY to Exuma Bajamas and back.

I can't wait to start flying something faster.

I think this is my favorite post yet on Flightinfo...no politics, no namecalling just good ole fashioned penis measuring...

just finished (today) 6.1 hours non stop in a C404 (at 2500 ft MSL, no autopilot, choppy and trying to hold a horizontal course and an altitude that is the equivalent of flying at the middle marker on an ILS...just another day at the office)

Went from Adrian (just south of Detroit) to San Diego and back over a 6 day span. Longest for one day was from Montrose, CO back to Adrian, MI

Perhaps I am ashamed of my meager DPA-STC trip, perhaps I am still too bitter about aviation in general, perhaps I have become too practical in the 11 years since earning my private, or that I am out of the race to accumulate hours for a flying job…

But... I can depart my home airport on a regional airline, hop to MSP, STL, ORD, or DEN, then hop to practically anywhere else in the continental US/Canada/Alaska within about 8 hours give or take a few hours at a cost of around $250 if planned out in advance.

If I rented from my FBO, I would be able to travel approximately 3.5 hours, or 1.25 hours from my home airport before having to turn around. That far for about $250.00

Now take that $250 and put it into my Ford Focus, and we are talking approximately 3,700 miles round trip as a rough estimate.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love nothing more then to own a 172, and do nothing but fly around the North American continent doing nothing but airport hopping, but I just cannot afford it. I am not knocking you for doing it, I actually envy you….

I just wonder if we have stopped to consider how overpriced flying yourself around can be?

Now, this does not apply if you are filthy rich, your company is paying you to do this, or you have so much money that your time is more important then cash. I would still be willing to bet though, that you could get from Florida to Alaska quicker on an airline then a 172 and at a cheaper price. If you are going for a career in flying, I guess you can justify this mode of transportation. At one time I was bound for the airlines too, but for some reason found it hard to part with my few dollars to make a long out and back trip with no vacation in the middle! Of course this could be why I am not a pilot by profession. J

My argument may also be flawed because many of you consider it a hobby or a lifelong dream to do a long flight in an airplane. Again, I may have been married for too long, but I would much rather spend a week in Xtapa with my wife rather then spend that money to travel from Iowa to California only to turn around right after you get there.

By the way, if it buys me any points, I once drove from Denver, CO to Durham, NC with one passenger nonstop except gas and food. 27 hours straight. That was a neat trip!

Flew a C340 with ferry tanks from Essen, Germany to Budapest to Izmir, Turkey. Essen to Budapest was only about 4 hrs , but Budapest to Izmir was nonstop and took about 6.5 hrs.

Longest trip was in a Cherokee from Winnipeg to LAS to MSY to ICT and back to YWG. Many, many, many stops in between.

Latest resources

Back