Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats the longest flight/trip you've made in a light airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ya, he was. As Paul Harvey would say....the rest of the story. The guy was 70 yrs old and had not flown in 15 yrs. He had owned a number of airplanes earlier in his life, I have no doubt that at one time he was a pretty good stick. Hell, he flew many years with no probs at all.

The next problem I had was that he bought the airplane without telling his family. They were not happy. Before I left, I encouraged him to fly more with an instructor and work on his skills. It was hard to tell the old guy I wouldn't sign him off for the BFR. But, he just wasn't safe at that time.

KeroseneSnorter said:
The Apache......well suffice it to say it was in my younger days when light twins were king, even the really slow ugly ones! Nothing like going across this great country at a blistering 120 knots.........twice.........New Mexico and Arizona at 10k in the middle of summer...........ahh the memories of the compressed spine and the sweat. Nothing like 120 degree heat to generate turbulence!!

Ah, yes, I too have not-so-fond memories of flying the Sky Buick for hours and hours and hours. The one I flew was such a POS it had Rayjays and still had a service cieling of about 10000'. I guess I should be grateful that it taught me what it's like to handle an engine failure and in flight fire. Thanks, Death Trap!

Some people consider the F-16 to be "light" airplane. Logged two 10.4 hours sorties. First was Ramstein AB Germany to Langley AFB, VA and the other was from Honolulu to Misawa AB, Japan.

Pretty much needed a putty knife to get me out of the cockpit!:)

F16TJ said:
Some people consider the F-16 to be "light" airplane. Logged two 10.4 hours sorties. First was Ramstein AB Germany to Langley AFB, VA and the other was from Honolulu to Misawa AB, Japan.

How many piddle packs does it take to cross the pond? Go pills?

F16TJ said:

Is there no autopilot? I realize refueling would be hand flown but I would have guessed you guys would kick back for cruise flight on a/p... not that 10.4 is easy by any means.

erj-145mech said:
How many piddle packs does it take to cross the pond? Go pills?

No "Go" pills.

Flew the Ramstein to Langley sortie without using a piddle pack!:eek: Did make a beeline to base ops for a VERY long relief stop, though!

Immelman...

Immelman said:
Is there no autopilot? I realize refueling would be hand flown but I would have guessed you guys would kick back for cruise flight on a/p... not that 10.4 is easy by any means.

Viper has an autopilot. Not a good one, mind you, but it has an autopilot. Usually you just use the Altitude Hold function to stay in the ALTRAV block and just hand fly your heading. You're always in formation, so there's really no way to synchronize the heading function of everybody in the formation. When it's your turn to re-fuel, of course, you're not on the autopilot then. Formation spacing varies with the WX, too. Flew a 6 hour sortie from Kunsan, Korea to Singapore and we were in the WX for 4 hours and 45 minutes flying route formation (two to four ship widths spacing between jets). THAT was painful!

I've done PDK to GRB & back many times. Always landed at BAK for refuel & lunch. Did PDK - GFL - GRB - RAP - COD - PDK for one vacation and PDK to FLG & back for another all in my Arrow II. Usually just 3 hour legs.

Would you believe my first airplane solo cross country? Went from Colorado Springs to Bellfountaine, OH, to Phoenix, and back with several overnights in Kansas and Iowa along the way. I spent took two weeks doing it.

I occasoinally leave from KC to San Francisco or Oakland or some other city on the left cost. Longest was probably in a 182 or Duchess from KC to Oakland in a day. Around 14 hours.

Latest resources

Back