• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the freakin' deal?!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand that you don't like their requirements but the fact is that they have a lot of applicants that do meet this minimums, I flew recently with the latest F/O that made it to the line and this guy is at 7,000 hours with plenty of pic time.

If they have a lot of applicants that meet thier minimums and they are still hiring than it really says something about the state of our (U.S.) aviation industry and economy because that ain't what's happenin' here. Mind you this isn't really a complaint but more of an observation.

The failure rate during interviews is quite high, here at AJV/AJX is about 60% and according to the NCA guys that I see regularly it is pretty much the same there, so it takes quite a bit more than having a pulse. If this contracts are not so good, I wonder why nobody leaves?

I hear ya, the “pulse” comment was referring more to Asiana and Korean. I defenately would not put ANA/NCA in their leage. NCA has a great contract. I know times are tough and we all have different needs and situations. Also, I am referring to going over to these places as FOs; if you go to Korean as a direct entry captain, that is a completely different ball of wax. Those guys have it pretty good. It was just my observation after reading the contracts that some of us might be better served to try to get on with a place like Emirates than going to work as a contractor. Again, this is just my .02.
PS, I’m too lazy to go to work for NCA or Cathay, I don’t think I could honestly leave a good job and take 6 months out of my life to go through initial training on an airplane that I am already current and typed on. If I was out of a job, obviously that would be a different story.

Really? there are more legacy pilots here in ANA than anybody from South America or Russia the majority of ex pat pilots are from Australia and Europe. Right now both the ANA contracts and NCA contracts are swamped with applicants (mostly by Americans) Did you say that the pay at a legacy was better? Now that one blew my mind, I'm making more than any 767 12 year seniority captain and I didn't loose my job nor was I escaping from a dangerous country although down town Saint Paul can be pretty rough. At ANA or NCA there are no pilots that meet that description actually. About job security, If I would have taken any of the two offers that I had in the US (including one legacy) I would be furloughed right now.

You've been there, what, two-three years? There is a vast difference in being a contract pilot for a short period of time and of a long period of time. The major part of that difference is there are very few long term contractors. Contracts terms get eroded, contracts get terminated, pilots get sick of the commute and want to be closer to home, etc.

It's a rare person that can handle the twice monthly 8 hour time zone change on those Asian commuting jobs. A very good friend of mine has moved to Hawaii just to reduce the multiple time zone changes on his commute to Asia.

The majority of legacy pilots I see overseas are furloughed or early retirees. The rest were junior at their company and wanted a chance at the widebody. Many of those are on leaves of absence and will most likely return when their legacy improves. You do not see Fedex, UPS, or SWA guys overseas. You would never have seen USAirways, DAL, NWA, UAL, or CAL guys overseas up until the post 9-11 period. Only since the pensions have gone away and stagnation has occured do you see these guys leaving to go overseas.

Still, many do not understand the pitfalls of flying overseas for long periods of time. If you break your leg while on your days off how many contracts will continue to pay you? How many guys lose their job mid-contract or don't get a renewal because they rubbed somebody the wrong way?

You're making more than a 12 year UPS 767 captain? Really, now that's a good contract!! I don't doubt your pay is reasonable, in fact I know exactly what it is and it ain't the equivalent of a UPS or Fedex captain. It might be close to an SWA captain. It's not much more than a 767 captain at many of the other legacies that have had massive pay cuts.

I do understand what you are saying. Contracting can be a good deal and can jump start a career, but it's still not as good as a good U.S. airline over the long term.

Typhoonpilot

Of course, who would become an ex pat if you can get another job locally that would be similar to what you had before? I just found it Ironic that you became an ex pat because your legacy job went south and you are talking about job security and pay. After all you didn't chose to go to the bottom at CAL or UAL right? my point is that pilots that decide to become ex pats doesn't necessarily mean that they are from third world countries or that they are escaping a dangerous environment, that certainly wasn't your case

Initial training at NCA for example is around 6 months long, and I don't think you get to go home. Not really that great of a deal in my opinion. I think you would be better served to dump the contract pilot idea and just go to Emirates if you want to fly overseas. Just my .02

It's 6 months including IOE and the 5 weeks that you're going to spend at home(with salary) while waiting for your ATPL after passing the checkride. The spouse and kids can visit you in Tokyo while you are in training too(fully paid by NCA). Not bad for a contract gig if you're going to ask me.

It's simple to figure out...if there are type rated pilots on the market, then carriers will take them..if not then jet=experienced, next is heavy turboprop..simple supply and demand..a type-rated pilot is easier and much quicker to get online and productive for the company...

It's simple to figure out...if there are type rated pilots on the market, then carriers will take them..if not then jet=experienced, next is heavy turboprop..simple supply and demand..a type-rated pilot is easier and much quicker to get online and productive for the company...[/quote]

I don't think that's quite right. The ANA deal still requires the 6 months of training, from what I've read here and elsewhere.
Is that correct?

As I understand, NCA is currently only accepting applicants that have the type rating on the 747 thus the six month training period. At ANA (AJV/AJX) there is a course for type rated pilots that takes from 6 to 7 months including OJT (a.k.a. OE here in the states)
But for non rated pilots (my case) it took me 8 1/2 months from first day of ground school to line certification as a captain here.
pretty long but plenty of time off during training and your family came to Tokyo and spent 3 weeks all expenses paid by the company (except food) and after sim training and check rides (two, one for the type and one for the ATPL) I went home for 3 weeks before coming back to start my OJT. There is no training pay at ANA, you start making your cap/fo salary from the day you leave to TYO and the company puts you up in a hotel (AJV) or an apartment (AJX) during your training period and you get your perdiem,transportation (train costs) is also paid but you have to submit a reimbursement form. The training period is long no doubt but you get plenty of time off during your training (too much time off actually) and the job is worth it in my view.

Latest resources

Back