Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Just Jay

She said "Thrust"
Am I missing something? All of these jobs in the middle east and asia asking for typed pilots are really confusing me. There has been so many job openings there for quite a while now requiring type ratings that it seems they aren't able to fill the spots.

Are they so frugle that they are just trying to leach off displaced U.S. (or other) pilots with type ratings? Do they just NEVER pay for thier own pilot training? They won't even get you typed and they still want a FIVE year contract in some cases. Should non-rated pilots even bother applying? It just doesn't seem to make sense.

I'm all bewildered (kind of).:confused:

Am I missing something? All of these jobs in the middle east and asia asking for typed pilots are really confusing me. There has been so many job openings there for quite a while now requiring type ratings that it seems they aren't able to fill the spots.

Are they so frugle that they are just trying to leach off displaced U.S. (or other) pilots with type ratings? Do they just NEVER pay for thier own pilot training? They won't even get you typed and they still want a FIVE year contract in some cases. Should non-rated pilots even bother applying? It just doesn't seem to make sense.

I'm all bewildered (kind of).:confused:

Regulatory authorities in many countries will only allow the hiring of "experienced" pilots with time on type. This can be an immigration issue or an aviation regulatory issue for the license conversion.

TP

My favorites are the ones with heavy experience requirements like a 747. I would imagine if I was already flying a 747 somewhere I would most probably have decent seniority. Why would I move continents and airlines. It's the way they do things that we don't understand. Time on type is more important.

These contracts are not as good as they seem on the surface. I have received application packets from Asiana, Korean and NCA over the last year from Cambridge communications, Rishworth ect. They seem to be looking for anyone that has a pulse and is typed on the 744. After looking at the fine print, their commuting contract sucks. They will tell you for examle that you get 12 hard days off per month; you really only get 9 and the remaining 3 are "commuting days" that you have to take out of your vacation. Also, they tell you that as an expat you are tax exempt; in reality, only the first 80k or so is tax free and their is plenty of red tape involved with that. Also, you have to deal with their BS training. Initial training at NCA for example is around 6 months long, and I don't think you get to go home. Not really that great of a deal in my opinion. I think you would be better served to dump the contract pilot idea and just go to Emirates if you want to fly overseas. Just my .02

My favorites are the ones with heavy experience requirements like a 747. I would imagine if I was already flying a 747 somewhere I would most probably have decent seniority. Why would I move continents and airlines. It's the way they do things that we don't understand. Time on type is more important.

Maybe you should read the cargo section once in a while. Looks like there will be a number of Kalitta pilots on the street soon. Just cause you don't have the experience doesn't mean there aren't plenty on the streets who do! Lots of experienced 747, DC-10, 767/57, A300 and other heavy drivers presently out of work.

That being said...big pimpn's post provides some good insight.

Last edited:
Well if it is a regulatory requirement, I can understand that.

If some of these contracts are so bad then they won't be filling those seats even if there are a lot of heavy drivers on the streets here (or other than the continent of employment).

I'm fresh out of a P.91 gig in a Hawker that decided to move base across the country and just trying to figure out the market. It doesn't seem like there is much to figure out.:(

Well if it is a regulatory requirement, I can understand that.

If some of these contracts are so bad then they won't be filling those seats even if there are a lot of heavy drivers on the streets here (or other than the continent of employment).

Bad for who is the question? Everybody's circumstances and needs are different. A South American 767 Captain making $3000/month and living in a dangerous country would likely jump at some of these contracts. Same holds for Africans, Russians, etc.

You can't compare contract flying to flying for a major in the USA. Majors in the USA ( for the most part ) are far better than any contract gig out there. They generally have better pay, work rules, schedules, security, etc. People who go contracting need to because they've lost their job for one reason or another or they want a better life out of their third world country.

Korean is one of the best commuting contracts out there. You must realize that is what it is set-up for. It's works for many people, but doesn't for others.

Not much red tape at all for the foreign earned income exclusion. As long as you meet one of two basic tests you get it.

Typhoonpilot

You can't compare contract flying to flying for a major in the USA. Majors in the USA ( for the most part ) are far better than any contract gig out there. They generally have better pay, work rules, schedules, security, etc. People who go contracting need to because they've lost their job for one reason or another or they want a better life out of their third world country.

Really? there are more legacy pilots here in ANA than anybody from South America or Russia the majority of ex pat pilots are from Australia and Europe. Right now both the ANA contracts and NCA contracts are swamped with applicants (mostly by Americans) Did you say that the pay at a legacy was better? Now that one blew my mind, I'm making more than any 767 12 year seniority captain and I didn't loose my job nor was I escaping from a dangerous country although down town Saint Paul can be pretty rough. At ANA or NCA there are no pilots that meet that description actually. About job security, If I would have taken any of the two offers that I had in the US (including one legacy) I would be furloughed right now. I understand that you don't like their requirements but the fact is that they have a lot of applicants that do meet this minimums, I flew recently with the latest F/O that made it to the line and this guy is at 7,000 hours with plenty of pic time.

These contracts are not as good as they seem on the surface. I have received application packets from Asiana, Korean and NCA over the last year from Cambridge communications, Rishworth ect. They seem to be looking for anyone that has a pulse and is typed on the 744. After looking at the fine print, their commuting contract sucks. They will tell you for examle that you get 12 hard days off per month; you really only get 9 and the remaining 3 are "commuting days" that you have to take out of your vacation. Also, they tell you that as an expat you are tax exempt; in reality, only the first 80k or so is tax free and their is plenty of red tape involved with that. Also, you have to deal with their BS training. Initial training at NCA for example is around 6 months long, and I don't think you get to go home. Not really that great of a deal in my opinion. I think you would be better served to dump the contract pilot idea and just go to Emirates if you want to fly overseas. Just my .02

The failure rate during interviews is quite high, here at AJV/AJX is about 60% and according to the NCA guys that I see regularly it is pretty much the same there, so it takes quite a bit more than having a pulse. If this contracts are not so good, I wonder why nobody leaves?

Latest resources

Back