• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's more dangerous? Taxiway or Overflight+

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes, it is the biggest blunder of modern airlines times.. name one bigger!

1. Tenerife
2. Palm 90
3. Eastern 401
4. Delta 191
5. NWA 255
6. Delta 1141

Six enough?

1. Tenerife
2. Palm 90
3. Eastern 401
4. Delta 191
5. NWA 255
6. Delta 1141

Six enough?

and sadly enough, you are just scratching the surface. I flashed on the SWA overrun in BUR as the biggest blunder, but the fact is, any of us can screw up. The finger pointers are usually the biggest screw ups.

john,
you said it is bunk and you said my assertion was false because it was not the deadliest... you missed my whole point. this incident has nothing to do with death but alot to do with complete absurdity. that is what a blunder is. A blunder is a fumbled punt. a botched snap, and on and on.

NO, the only thing I called bunk was your assertion that it was the "biggest blunder in modern airline times." I was not saying that any critisism of the incident is bunk. I think you should work on your reading comprehension.

After reading other responses, apparently I am not alone in the belief that your view of a blunder is a little out of whack.

It is a much harder road to admit you were breaking company policy and on your laptops than take the easy out and say "we fell asleep."

My understanding is that while it is against Delta policy, NorthWest policy actually allows the use of laptops. Anyone care to confirm this?

My understanding is that while it is against Delta policy, NorthWest policy actually allows the use of laptops. Anyone care to confirm this?
Well NW at one time encouraged you not take paper manuals so lots of folks have them on laptops. So if i was to study on a long leg my laptop would come out and studying on a trip is OK.

As for the whats more dangerous question I suggest you Google Western Airlines Mexico City accident (1979) to see what happens when you land on closed pavement..

john,
you said it is bunk and you said my assertion was false because it was not the deadliest... you missed my whole point. this incident has nothing to do with death but alot to do with complete absurdity. that is what a blunder is. A blunder is a fumbled punt. a botched snap, and on and on.

What about the NW DC-10 that overflew Amsterdam and was going to land at Frankfurt, and all the passengers were watching it on the in-flight movie screen before a flight attendant alerted them? Can't remember what year, and I don't think they actually landed at Frankfurt.

Metrojet

Sadly, politicians (including those in the FAA) will focus on the issues sensationalized by the media. Meanwhile, the issues that actually constitute the bigger risk factors get left on the back burner. Let's face it, the risk factors that affect the "majors" affect the "regionals" and vice versa. It's just a matter of who it happens to when there is an otherwise slow-news day.

Last edited:
What about the NW DC-10 that overflew Amsterdam and was going to land at Frankfurt, and all the passengers were watching it on the in-flight movie screen before a flight attendant alerted them? Can't remember what year, and I don't think they actually landed at Frankfurt.

Metrojet
You really at least should get the airports right if you are going to reference something.They were going to FRA and the controller thought they were going to BRU and vectored them there. The Ca was brand new to europe and didn't recognise what the mistake was untill it was too late and just landed at BRU. Unfortunately he had an FO that was trouble from day one at Air West and was of no help.

You really at least should get the airports right if you are going to reference something.They were going to FRA and the controller thought they were going to BRU and vectored them there. The Ca was brand new to europe and didn't recognise what the mistake was untill it was too late and just landed at BRU. Unfortunately he had an FO that was trouble from day one at Air West and was of no help.

Well - chalk it up to human error - just like not using spell check when you type "recognise" instead of recognize or "untill" when you mean until.

But hey - we all make mistakes - just depends if we catch the error before it becomes a major factor.

Metrojet

Latest resources

Back