• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats all this BS about the BS degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Degree doesn't make you more intelligent, but, like hours, the experience will broaden your knowledge base.

I would wager that you'll change your tune once you have that piece of paper in your hand...

Yeah, I agree that it will broaden your knowledge.

But I don't think it will make you more successful. There are tons of Richard Bransons, Bill Gates', and others out there that prove that success come from within.

rumpletumbler said:
I don’t just think I’m more educated than most folks with a college degree are, I know that I am. There isn’t a shred of doubt about it.
rumpletumbler said:
There are many people who went to college who are more educated than I am.
Give me a break. Having no education means you are uneducated!! In your case, it shows: you just contradicted yourself.
Originally posted by Delta3
I agree with the thread starter, a college education isn't everything. As the saying goes, "college is a four year frat party with a high bar tab".
Excuse me, but there is a huge difference between people who have degrees that were given to them after sliding and slacking their way through a lackluster college and going to a good school and working hard for good grades.

Believe it or not there are some people in this world who actually want to go to college just for the sake of learning. In my experience, the people who decide not to go to college make this decision because they are unintelligent, and it is the people who are already intelligent that decide to go to college.

dmspilot00,

Are you saying that you are so ignorant that you are incapable of learning on your own? If you don’t have a college syllabus you are helpless to learn anything? I'm assuming that unless by osmosis you haven’t picked up an ounce of education since you graduated. That must be the problem! Everyone I’m around has been out of college for a while and they are growing dumber by the minute. You must start a refresher course for those folks out there who don’t realize they are incapable of learning without being in a classroom setting. That isn’t an abbreviation for dumb a** pilot is it?

RT

TIMP said:
Rumpletumbler,

Coming from the military (a good environment for a case study between those who have a degree and those who don't) I can tell you flat out that there is a significant difference between the overall intelligence of "Officers (all have college degrees) compared to "enlisted soldiers (who mostly do not have degrees). It's night and day, my friend. And you can't fight it.

Timp

You ought to try walking a mile in an elisted man's shoes. You may rethink the "intelligence of officer's" statement. Not all LT's make the staff officer ranks, for good reason. That being that some of them are morons.

You should watch the elitest generalization. Some of us enlisted so we could afford to pay for college. Excuse us for not being born with a silver spoon in our mouth....Sir.

Just because one has a degree doesn't make him a smart man. There are plenty of people as mentioned above that have gone far in life. They have more money and success than they know what to do with it. Especially in aviaiton the degree doesn't make you fly the plane any better. If you can't fly you may as well use your degree for toilet paper.

Yes I went to college and I only have a 2 year degree. So I guess that makes me a less of a person. Next if my grammar is up to everyones par. That was my worst subject in school and I hated it. So I will save you all the smart A$$ comments. Because we all know that someone with a 4- year degree is far more superior than me with my 2-year degree. I forget you fly sooooooooo much better with a 4-year degree. So I think you can get my opinion on a 4-year degree. Not bashing anyone with a 4-year degree just sick of getting pushed aside because I don't have one.

Well said Sheriff!

I've got a degree and i was both enlisted and commissioned. The O's typically are better educated, but I doubt very much if they're any smarter than the E's. Apparently, something was lacking during Timp's study if he really believes that education is a measure of intelligence.

MetroSheriff,

I thought I had disclaimed my statement adequately but evidently not. I wasn't saying that everyone that is an enlisted man was a zero. I have no military experience and therefore can only quote what I've been told. I tried to say that I didn't think this held true across the board and had nothing personally against enlisted folks. If that didn't come across then sorry. I certainly don't want to or have desire to offend the people who defend the country I live in. While all the college boys are out on the back nine they are the ones laying on the ground with their intestines in their hands and I certainly have a great deal of respect for that.

RT

College

Why stop at a college degree, who needs a high school degree.
Or for that matter do you really need an ATP to be an airline pilot. These are measuring sticks. Without a degree you are at a disadvantage before the interview starts.
P.S. I'm the smartest guy in the world just ask me. HAHA

Any person who asserts that college is a waste of time, or not necessary in this century, is a fool. And those who think they are the next Richard Branson, well... give us a break. To get a good job, with a reputable firm, you must have a formal education. Unless of course you have already secured financing for your new A340 fleet...

You can argure the merit of higher education all day long, but the smart employer knows the truth. Just look at the statistics. Or if you haven't had that class... read the handwriting on the wall...

Latest resources

Back