Whats all this BS about the BS degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rumpletumbler

What is the big deal about a BS degree? Or is it a big deal? I would wager that I who sometimes BS in fun don't have a BS degree but that I am more educated than most who do have a BS degree and may or may not BS. This of course is irrelevant if all that person who is hiring wants is the degree. If getting a good job requires it then I’ll have to do it but what a waste of time. Since it will be a while before I can get a job that might require a degree I thought I’d ask now. At 41 I better start now if I'm going to.

RT

Yes, as irrelavent as it may seem, a 4 year college degree is required for MOST good flying jobs (Major Airlines, Large Corporate Operators)

Like the ads say "Don't leave home without it!"

Rumpletumbler,

Not trying to be harsh, but if you carry that attitude around about the worth of a college education then you will be in for some hard times.

Keep in mind that a company has to sort through several thousand applications in order to select the few prospects they need. A college degree is a good discriminator, among many others, which can give the company a small hint that the individual is somewhat dedicated and well rounded. It's not 100%, but does give some insight into the person. You don't have a college education and, unfortunately, it shows in your post.

Coming from the military (a good environment for a case study between those who have a degree and those who don't) I can tell you flat out that there is a significant difference between the overall intelligence of "Officers (all have college degrees) compared to "enlisted soldiers (who mostly do not have degrees). It's night and day, my friend. And you can't fight it.

I suggest if you do not have one then it will only serve you well to get one.

Timp

rumpletumbler said:
I would wager that I who sometimes BS in fun don't have a BS degree but that I am more educated than most who do have a BS degree and may or may not BS. This of course is irrelevant if all that person who is hiring wants is the degree. If getting a good job requires it then I’ll have to do it but what a waste of time.
RT

Most certainly you are not more educated than a person who has more education; that is preposterous. You can't even type a sentence that makes sense. If English isn't your native language, I apologize.

TIMP said:

Coming from the military (a good environment for a case study between those who have a degree and those who don't) I can tell you flat out that there is a significant difference between the overall intelligence of "Officers (all have college degrees) compared to "enlisted soldiers (who mostly do not have degrees). It's night and day, my friend.

Before I respond to the above, take a look at it again, TIMP. Sounds pretty condescending, dontcha think?

Chunk <---Apparently, an idiot....at least according to TIMP

Education doesn't come from a college. You don't really believe that everyone who didn't go to college isn't educated do you? I would say that the vast majority is not but there are many that are much more educated than those with college degrees are. As for the military I can understand that as my dad's favorite day of the year is the day he was discharged from the service. He often tells stories of the sub human life forms he encountered among the enlisted men. I’m sure that is at least partially a sweeping generalization and I am appreciative of the job they do. As for being more or less educated I don’t just think I’m more educated than most folks with a college degree are, I know that I am. There isn’t a shred of doubt about it. I don’t think that your level of education is the requirement. You can be dumber than a bag of rocks as long as you have the degree. That is what I see out in the marketplace and the reason I’m asking here is to get confirmation or denial of that. There are many people who went to college who are more educated than I am. There are many people who didn’t go to college who are more educated than I am. Ditto for anyone reading this post.

RT

You may have a good point, albiet one thats been discussed to death by many. All I can say is that the reality of the situation and the carreer we are in is one that has us all jumping through hoop after hoop.
It's not so much the degree/education they are after as much as the comfort in knowing that they are hiring someone who had the responsability and disipline to finish the degree.

How I see it anyway.

TwinTails,

I've flown Chieftains a couple of times but only during the day. Lots of folks talk about leaning by the glow of the engine at night is that true?

chief11ac,

I would have to discuss that with a philosophy major. ;)

RT

I agree with the thread starter, a college education isn't everything. As the saying goes, "college is a four year frat party with a high bar tab".

Most people in society achieve great things due to ambition, hard work, and dedication that comes from their character, not a college degree.

But what are you going to do, if comapnies require it, then companies require it.

Latest resources

Back