Whats all this BS about the BS degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please don't waste your time

The market is competitive enough. Please dont get your degree, that way my resume moves one slot closer to the top of the stack.

But I want to get my degree! How about a degree in agriculture. I can explain that I might know better which field to land in. etc.

RT

I think a degree is a good idea 2 or 4-year. Why does it have to be a deciding matter in aviation though? I would think hours and ratings should weigh in more than rather the person as a degree or not. Again the degree as no bearing on how well the person can fly. There have been a lot of times when the more qualified person as far as flight time is passed up. Just because the lack of education. So I suppose that they person with a 4-year degree and less time and ratings is a better pilot. I don't understand the thinking behind this. Again I am not saying not to get a degree. Just that everybody should have fair chance based on there flight experience not there college degree. Isn't that what we all are trying to do, FLY? Not who had a better GPA or who drank more beer with their frat brothers. And yes my GPA was 3.80 before someone has any comments about that. I will save you the energy from typing your snide remarks.

rumpletumbler said:
But I want to get my degree! How about a degree in agriculture. I can explain that I might know better which field to land in. etc.

RT

Now that one I like!!!!:D

For the uninitiated, when an airline hires someone, they are not looking for the next Red Baron. They hire someone who shows a record of education and self improvement. If the person has a history of progressive education and achievement, that person will most likely do well in that airline's training program. It's that simple. United couldn't care less if you're the hottest stick around or not, they plan on teaching you how to do it, their way. Seems dumb, but it isn't. And for those who feel that they are being unfairly pushed out of the way for not having a degree, go get one. Then see how you feel about it....

Head in sand.

Try to get quality experience without a degree. Then try and pay your mortage on your C-310 wages. Without a degree your career options will be very limited. It's very tough to get to the top. Your trying with one hand behind your back.

I never said I didn't want one. The question was do I have to have one. My choice if I get one would be something I could do at home preferably. Are there degree programs out there that you can do via online classroom or other methods at home etc. that are not dissed so to speak by the aviation community? I mean you have books, subject matter, tests. Why do I need to drive 60 miles each way and smell other peoples farts for 3 hours 3 times a week when I can do it at home? Or is that part of it? RT, by my calculations you've smelled approximately 72,456 farts over the last 3 years. You've made it! Welcome to the club.

RT

Let's see

I have a good friend that is making more than most captains at the regional level and most of the new guys at the majors. He has no degree at all and he is making well in to 60's or 70's flying a DA 2000. And he has only been there a little over a year. There are plenty of guys at the same company making over 6 figures. And I also fly with a guy that makes in the 80's plus he gets a company car every few years. He also gets a 20% bonus every year that's 16,000 smackers for all you "educated people". They both of have way better quality of life than any airline educated person. So I guess you better run out an get your 4-year degree so can fly a RJ for 20,000 a year. That's after you spend all the well spent money on your degree. So you can live in a box and eat government cheese. Just so you can dream of getting to the majors some day and get furloughed.

No need to get moody. At the right regional, you can have a pretty stable career, along with nice travel benefits. Other jobs have their advantages also. As to whether or not you are subject to furlough, that is luck of the draw. An industry as dynamic as this one, has no sure bets. Just good guesses. But should you get furloughed, having a degree can secure a good living in another line of work. Including agriculture. No joke.

Latest resources

Back