Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: ok ok Dmspilot00

JBHewlett said:
I got the picture. I must have misunderstood, somewhere what you said, and I sincerely apologize. I hate accusing anyone of something they didn't do; it just makes me look bad.

I'm sorry if I was so hard on you, personally. I didn't mean to accuse you of accusing me of anything, but I just wanted to make sure I was being absolutely clear. :) Thank you for the kind words. Good luck to you too in whatever you're doing.

I also did not mean to be hard on people who truly can't afford college at the current moment, and what I was trying to say was that you can't use it as an excuse for the duration of your life. I suppose it is different when you are fresh out of high school and have no debt. When you realize later in life that you should have gone to college, even if you now cannot afford it, then that is a step at least in the right direction. At least you desire an education, rather than being arrogant and claiming you don't need or want one, like some people.

Last edited:
wow, this is getting tough. how about we move on to a topic with less potential conflict like the ole pitch for airspeed, power for altitude debate!!! or is it the other way around?

Intellect is not a product of schooling but is developed because of it. However, the finest intellect remains effectively unused without education.

nuff said.

Broke, my middle name. Still paying off the incredible debt accumulated from past flight training. Looks like for the time being a 2-year program might be the best I can do. Any opinion on how potential future employers may view a 4-year to a 2-year?

A degree in the airline world has everything to do with a way to cull through the resumes and nothing to do with intelligence or skill level. Prior to 9/11/01 when everything was going well, every one was hiring and the future looked rosey anyone who could get through an interview, regardless of education level, could get a job. The majors even lowered thier minimum education requirements. Today with thousands of pilots of near equal qualifications applying for a few positions different standards are applied, if you want to be competitive you are going to have to have that bachelors degree. It does not matter if it is in aviation or Amazon valley insect identification, some carriers actually seem to prefer things like the latter.

Please excuse the speling and sentance structuer as I ain't too edgemacated mysef!

TIMP,
watch your step, coming from a Had Hat Diver in the Navy, it doesn't take a college degree to save lives!! The "O's" wanted to play on dive station, but just got in the way.

In our industry, I would say that common sense plays a bigger part of being a good aviator, not saying that a higher level of education is not necessary. A college degree is a great thing to accomplish and is part of the requirements, so whoever needs one go for it, but just don't knock enlisted for not attending college.

TIMP said:
Coming from the military (a good environment for a case study between those who have a degree and those who don't) I can tell you flat out that there is a significant difference between the overall intelligence of "Officers (all have college degrees) compared to "enlisted soldiers (who mostly do not have degrees). It's night and day, my friend. And you can't fight it.
Wow, what arrogance!

We get College degrees to qualify for better jobs. Some of us go to school to learn more about the World we live in and gain from the experiences of bright minds who have gone before us. However, none of that adds up to better piloting skills. Ask General Yeager his opinion, or just pick up a copy of his book.

I would dare say that I'm one of the more over qualified pilots on this board (if getting degrees has anything to do with flying). From that perspective, I can say that having my background did help me get through part 121 initial training. Your first FO ride in a E120 is much more difficult than any Board, or examination, that I had ever experienced.

As some astute poster observed it is emotional intelligence that becomes valuable on the line. Given TIMP's post, I would guess that his “us v. them” attitude does not foster teamwork, or a healthy working environment.

In the Ivy League, many folks are simply educated far beyond their intelligence. If they believe they are "smarter" as a result of memorizing books, experience will be their eventual comeuppance.

This thread is evidence of one of the darker aspects of the human psyche. That is, the tendancy to boost self-esteem at the expense of others. This tendancy is encouraged in the military: Wearing large symbols of rank, demanding salutes, and calling their living spaces "officer's country", are the most evident , but this is far from the whole story. Civilians generally look on all military members as social misfits who work for peanuts and live in squalor because they can't make it in the real world. (This view is usually moderated in times of war.) In the officer community the service academy graduates lord it over their ocs counterparts, while the ocs guys look with disdain on the mustangs. Being an ex-enlisted officer is pretty close to to being an ex-con in the civilian world.) Most O's look on the enlisted folks as sub-human serfs, even as they depend on them to win the wars. Take away the NCO's and the military couldn't protect the PX, let alone the nation.

Now as far as a degree goes, it's demanded for the better jobs by most U.S. employers and it's useful to have one. It's certainly possible to succeed wildly without one, but why not stack the deck in one's favor? After all, a BA/BS is easy to get. Beyond that purpose, a degree isn't worth much unless it's in a practical course of study that meshes with one's career. In truth, the first two years of a four year course of study amounts to remedial high school. If you attended a good high school and paid attention, you already know more than a high percentage of the folks who hold associates degrees. The second two years of a non-professional course of study are useful mostly because study habits will improve and one starts to realize how much there is to learn. Anyone who considers himself educated by virture of holding a BA/BS missed something along the way. Like a PPL, a bachelors degree is nothing more than a license to learn.

Degree

Freightdog75 said:
Broke, my middle name. Still paying off the incredible debt accumulated from past flight training. Looks like for the time being a 2-year program might be the best I can do. Any opinion on how potential future employers may view a 4-year to a 2-year?

A two-year degree is barely better than just high school, but still better than no degree at all. If you get a two-year, get it in something useful, such as computer science or accounting or something. I love Aero Science and push it hard, but it's different when two-year is the best you have available at the moment.

Try checking into local colleges. Talk to their financial aid office. Maybe there are loans you can get for your B.S. or B.A. In-state residents' tuition at many schools is relatively cheap. Maybe you can work out something so you can go to school. There are plenty of financial aid programs and government assistance. The government wants people to use their programs.

Good luck with school.

Latest resources

Back