Whats all this BS about the BS degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To degree or not to degree....
This has been pretty well debated but will add my $0.02. As already stated, a lot of businesses prefer a degree. That is the way the game is played. To enhance your "employability" it is probably a good idea to get a degree.
I personally have an AA, BS, and MS. Never use the blasted things but it certainly got my foot in the door. Did it make me a better person? The jury is still out :D .
It has been my experience though that businesses have plenty of smart and dynamic people. What businesses (and government) are lacking are people of diligence, honor, and character. That a degree cannot give you. Good luck.

FlyinBrian said:

By the way...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are many people who went to college who are more educated than I am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An educated man wouldn't end a sentence with a preposition. They taught me that in college.

They taught me in college that "am" is a VERB and not a preposition.

Degree = You have both the intelligence and the work ethic to concentrate on one goal over a four year period and at the same time broaden your knowledge of the world around you.

A degree also is proof that you have the ability to learn new concepts and ideas and apply them. That shingle shows any employer that you have the ability to take any materiel and instruction they give you and apply it to a working situation. What else do you think they do in college, give you a book to read and ask you questions about it? No, you have to apply that knowledge to a "real world" problem.

You are right, you don't have to be smart to get a degree. That just makes it less difficult, because if you are "dumber than a box of rocks", it is going to take A LOT of hard WORK to get that shingle. Watch out for anyone who is an "idiot" who has their degree, because they'll probably work a helluva lot harder than your lazy ass and pass you by (me included).

As far as I'm concerned, I am in agreement with a previous post. Don't get your degree, that is just more room for me. Oh yeah, if you do get a degree, try to lose the attitude, most find it irritating.

College degree

You should go to college and get a degree for many reasons. For one thing, the degree is proof positive to the airlines that you can handle college-level classes. We all know how airline ground schools are firehoses and pressure-cookers, and are at least comparable to college classes. Having the degree shows you have at least minimal study skills to deal with the hose and cooker. Compare it to preparing for class and tests, and studying (did I hear "cram"? :) ) for finals. Preparing for two finals in a day is at least comparable for studying for ground school writtens and having procedures down cold for sim.

Something else that college does is train the mind to think and understand. You certainly need those attributes to be a professional pilot.

Maybe "commitment" is the key word. Some of the most stupid people I know are college graduates. However, you can earn a degree if you make a commitment to study, prepare and go to class.

One other point. The education you receive can help you with many aspects of flying. Taking courses in business, physics, physiology, and labor relations, especially, can lay the foundation you need for a successful career.

As someone else wrote, you can have the career without the degree. But, the airlines are looking for the degree. Give 'em what they want. In doing so, you'll benefit from the education.

Ahhh, the big question... To get a degree or not to get a degree?

Well you have to ask yourself a question... If I get the degree will I fit the major airline "profile" that will at least get me an interview? If the answer is no... then don't. If the answer is yes, then go for it! If you've been in the business for a while, YOU KNOW WHAT THE PROFILE IS SO DON'T ASK!

As for me... I don't think I meet the "profile" but I got the degree before I ever intended to do this stuff for a living. Has it helped me in my aviation career? No, not yet, but I'm glad I have it anyway. Would I trade it if I could... for let's say 1000 hours PIC turbine? I'd have to seriously consider it!!!

Last edited:
degree?

LEGITIMATE education--not because we have to as some employment requirement, but because we want to be educated, society-contributing citizens.

Comments like this have been a long time favorite of mine. I am surprised you didn't use the "worldly". My only comment back will be that society could certainly survive a lot better without the "educated-contributing citizens" than it could without the remaining population.

As to the degree, if you want to work in a field where you proceed through the ranks based on seniority, it is only fair that everyone start of with an equal set of requirements.

Also, for all those in the non-degree camp, sit a minute in the companies shoes. Why should someone take a chance. They aren't so much taking a chance on you as they are risking their job and livelyhood.

If you want to exist outside that type of structure, go ahead and do it. Start your own company, be an innovator. Don't be one of the sheople. Cut your own swath, just don't expect others to change their standards to make room for you. Make your own room.

Basically, if you want a job where the standard is a 4yr degree, better get the 4yr degree.

To all the grammer Nazi's

People, this is a forum for communication. Not a quest for grammatical perfection. I was taught in college english (honors for anyone that cares, Dr. Richard Folkerson, East Texas State University, 1980) that grammatical perfection was much less important than the ability to communicate.

I for one, don't care if someone else ends a sentence in a participle/gerund/noun/adverb, etc, as long as I understood what he was trying to convey.

For those of you that judge someones education/intelligence/etc, by his grammer on a internet bbs, you should realize that we are not writting our doctoral thesis here. I imaging that the people, like myself, who make grammatical errors in posts, would write entirely differently when composing a paper for their class professor. Ease up.

8N

Slide33,

"I'm amazed that this TIMP guy didn't get his @$$ frag'd."

Spoken like a true "box of rocks!" Your comment demonstrates EXACTLY why enlisted soldiers get a bad rap. If the situation doesn't agree with them the first thing they will do is bad mouth the closest officer and want to frag him. An education would serve you well. I suggest you get one ASAP!

Enigma, well said.

One other thing. Don't buy in to the BS about Bill Gates...He was an overpriviledged snot nose from the beginning and he is educated(regardless of how he got it, it is recognized). He is a great example of the fact that it is better to be lucky than good. There are plenty of people with greater minds, ideas and inventions and they will never become as rich as BG. Don't be so impressed by his wealth.

Latest resources

Back