Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What will Republic do with their big C-Series CS300 Order?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

40 orders for the CS300 (120-130 seat version) and 40 options? What can Republic do with these airplanes given the restrictive scope clauses with the legacies? Will they just sell the orders/options to a legacy? Any predictions? A new airline sounds improbable....

Looks like a Bombardier C-Series visited Republic at Indy on the 6th according to the story below:

2014-10-07 ? Indianapolis, USA
Program Update
Bombardier Showcases CSeries FTV4 to Republic Airways

CSeries flight test vehicle four (FTV4), which is currently deployed to Wichita for flight testing, flew on October 6, 2014 to Indianapolis International Airport where it was showcased to Republic Airways' employees, leadership team and board members.

Republic and Bombardier signed a firm purchase agreement for 40 CS300 aircraft, plus 40 options in February, 2010.

This was a wonderful opportunity for my technical team to get an up-close view of the CSeries, especially of the flight deck which is revolutionizing air travel, said Bryan Bedford, President and Chief Executive Officer, Republic Airways. It was thrilling seeing this quiet game-changing aircraft in person and it's proving to be everything we've hoped it would be.

We are delighted to have been given the opportunity to showcase the CSeries aircraft to Republic Airways in Indianapolis, said Ray Jones, Senior Vice President, Sales, Marketing and Asset Management, Bombardier Commercial Aircraft. Republic has always said that the CSeries airliner would be utilized as a mainline aircraft and we are very pleased to be working with the airline as it prepares its business and fleet plans for the aircraft's introduction into the North American market.

Here is a video of the Republic visit at Indy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzYUzCxgBLo

Looks like a great airplane and I expect the CS300 (bigger than the current CS100 version) would be flown by the legacies vs. of the regionals given the scope clauses. Here is a good video discussion about the FBW system on the test aircraft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OghtdzFXFoo

Last edited:
I saw the CS100 in Wichita a few weeks back. Nice looking airplane. I am a fan of Bombardier's and I am sure it will be a nice flying airplane too from a pilot perspective.

I agree that the scope clauses make Republic's plans for the bigger CS300 very questionable. APA shut down American yesterday with regard to scope relief. So, that would leave UAL and Delta as other options but their scope clauses are also very tight. No doubt it should be flown by mainline pilots. Should be interesting to watch.

Isn't the Delta scope clause limited to 76 seats? Maybe Republic could offer 76 business class seats on the CS300 for Delta? :)

I hope not - obviously these things (especially the CS300) should be flown by mainline pilots.

I saw the CS100 in Wichita a few weeks back. Nice looking airplane. I am a fan of Bombardier's and I am sure it will be a nice flying airplane too from a pilot perspective.

I agree that the scope clauses make Republic's plans for the bigger CS300 very questionable. APA shut down American yesterday with regard to scope relief. So, that would leave UAL and Delta as other options but their scope clauses are also very tight. No doubt it should be flown by mainline pilots. Should be interesting to watch.

Right now anything over 76 seats is a bust for most scope clauses, and higher profits by the legacies mean fewer givebacks by the pilots. The APA already told Parker to shove it when it comes to scope. If Republic were to fly anything over 76 seats for anyone else, they would lose all DL Connection flying. They had a "Frontier exception" when they owned them, but now it's gone. I hear these planes are on the expensive side, and until those prices go down, I don't see many in the US.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Now that's all your opinion right Jenny? Just like everyone has an ahole right?

Right now anything over 76 seats is a bust for most scope clauses, and higher profits by the legacies mean fewer givebacks by the pilots. The APA already told Parker to shove it when it comes to scope. If Republic were to fly anything over 76 seats for anyone else, they would lose all DL Connection flying. They had a "Frontier exception" when they owned them, but now it's gone. I hear these planes are on the expensive side, and until those prices go down, I don't see many in the US.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Expensive? Maybe relative to older 717s. But a 717 can't fly something like 2,000 miles efficiently with a full load. Given that Republic has scope clause issues and it is the sole US airline ordering the C-Series, I bet Bombardier would negotiate a lower price for a volume deal. Even Anderson at Delta suggested that they would consider the bigger CS300 (120-140 seats) to potentially fit between the 717 and the 800/320. You get what you negotiate...

Last edited:
oh no, now you're correcting jenny with factual information, she'll be soooo confused but attempt to come back with something witty, more likely something stupid and ignorant

Bye Bye---General Lee

We can only hope. It was only 10 years ago we thought that about the CRJ-900's.

Last edited:
Now that's all your opinion right Jenny? Just like everyone has an ahole right?

Again, you never add anything of substance. Would you care to give your own opinion, backed up with some facts? You can't, you don't know how. DL's scope clause is clear, nothing over 76 seats, and that includes anything with a specific weight. (Can't fly a plane designed with more than 76 seats and only put 76 seats on them). There is also the part about any DCI carrier adding any larger plane, loses the DCI contract. Sooooooooo, that would include Republic, and their only exception was the "Frontier exception" when they owned them, which they don't now.

Oil is dropping, meaning it's tougher for management to negotiate any concessions from employees. IOWs, it ain't gonna happen.

So genius, give us your opinion on what may happen with those Republic CS100s. Do it, I can't wait.

Bye Bye---General Lee

We can only hope. It was only 10 years ago we thought that about the CRJ-900's.

True, but what has happened in the last 10 years? Since then, Consolidation has occurred, increasing profitability due to fewer players in the mix. Then add bag fees and change fees. That has added BILLIONS of dollars in profit. Then add new FARs dealing with fatigue and hiring rules. Unbelievable changes, and the big 3 are only getting stronger. What was the amount of money the legacies save every time gas drops one penny? It was a lot. Jet fuel in FEB 2013 was $3.22, Friday it was $2.58. That will save DL over $2.5 billion. That is amazing. I'm not saying nothing could happen to stop that, but so far so good.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back