• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Universitys Are Good for Future Pilots?? - Merged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dont count out two year programs also. I went to a great 2 year aviation college first off recieved all of my ratings got an Associates degree. Then moved on to a 4 year and finished up my bachelors while i instructed. Works out great. Plus it will get you a 2 year degree at least and if you dont like college you can stop at 2 years and still have something to show for it.

Good Luck! Its good you are starting flying early if thats what you want to do. I wish i would have.

If you're living in the West Utah State University has a good aviation program. It's a great school if you're Mormon (or live off campus) and are into outdoorsy stuff. Good skiing and snowboarding close by. Tuition is pretty cheap too. Utah is a kickass state to fly in as well.

USU's website:
http://www.usu.edu

USU's Aviation Program Website:
http://www.engineering.usu.edu/ete/academics/

what about non-mormans like me...is it only a morman school

Personally I hate Mormonism, but I've made a lot of cool friends here, Mormon and non-Mormon alike. If you're used to partying every night or even just on the weekends, you will be sorely disappointed if you come here. Good parties are far and few between, but you can have a lot of fun if you have a car, a snowboard and/or connections.

I went to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to complete all of my flight training. The reason I picked that school was because it gave me the opportunity to pursue a degree in another field(Finance) while I was taking flight classes at the university's insitute of aviation. There is an aviation degree you can get also, but it's practically worthless unless you pursue a masters or PH. D along with it. A lot of people who took flight classes there also got a degree in something else(finance, econ, history, engineering...) which will come in handy someday because you never know when either 1) you'll not want to fly for a career 2) you'll lose your flying job or 3) you'll lose your medical for some reason. The downside about going to the U of I is that there are not many internship opportunities available with the airlines. We don't really have many connections with the airlines(UAL and AA when I was there...I don't think any connections with any Regionals) which means that it'll be a bit harder to network if the airlines is where you want to go. A lot of other schools like riddle, purdon't(sorry...I had to, ILLINI #1), UND, Western Mich, etc...have bridge programs that will allow you to goto the regionals with less flight time, but won't let you pursue another degree unless you spend 6 or 7 years there. It's ultimately your call, but my advice is to get a degree in another field where you can fall back on if things don't go your way. I just got an offer from a finance/tech company that I'm thinking about taking and then just flying for fun on the side. Good luck to you in choosing a college!

-W

I agree with ilkwamh2.

I chose not to put all my eggs in one basket (getting a degree in some aviation area) because of my fear of the 3 things he mentioned (medical being the big one) keeping me from flying.

I am now at the other end of my career (well not all the way but getting close). I chose to get into business jet pilot training a few years ago after a career of military and corporate aviation. I am now using both my degree (education) and my flying experience to manage the training of corporate pilots at a large training center.

Don't be one dimensional, get your degree in your second love.

Latest resources

Back