What Universitys Are Good for Future Pilots?? - Merged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Carmelo_15 said:
I am Currently 14 and I am working on my PPL and from there I will go for my other ratings. But I am starting to think about what university I will attend. I know to get a Commercial Airline Pilot Job, You have to have a 4 year degree. So could anybody give me some ideas on which universitys that would be good for me.

Thanks

My $.02..

I'd recommend a State University with a recognized aviation program (UND or Purdue for instance) rather than a purely aviation college, or attending college while flying on the side. I'm not saying this just because that was the route I took, because I took it primarily for reasons of convenience at the time, and already held a PPL/Inst when I went. In retrospect, it was just lucky I made what I think was the best choice.

Attending a State University gives a wider range of possiblities as far as classes, interests, women, and parties....all that stuff. than a purely Aviation College. You'll meet a more diverse set of friends...you have the rest of your life/career to hang out with aviation dweebs like us. You will actually interact with normal people. If you want to join the military to fly, I think a broader education combined with the aviation will better prepare you. Where I attended University, I knew a couple friends who had left Aviation Colleges after the first year because of the "eat/drink/sleep aviation only" atmosphere. In their case they didn't want to spend their college years like that, but that's definitely a "To each his own" consideration only you can weigh.

Flying on the side is more difficult in terms of prioritizing and time management. Flying, when it's an integral part of the curriculum is partly killing two birds with one stone towards graduation, and studying something you like is the best form of motivation to do well. It's not as if a different type of degree will leave you lots of free time to go fly on the side, and thus you'll have to make choices as to which you will devote more time and energy towards.

And did I mention there are more women and parties?

Last edited:
Nursing is the ultimate fallback career position; you can always find work as a Nurse. Even if you have not worked in the field for years, you can make a decent living. Few college career fields allow you that same opportunity after being out of your college career field for 8-15 years..

pilotyip said:
Nursing is the ultimate fallback career position; you can always find work as a Nurse. Even if you have not worked in the field for years, you can make a decent living. Few college career fields allow you that same opportunity after being out of your college career field for 8-15 years..

But what if you hate nursing?

Nursing shortage

pilotyip said:
Nursing is theultimatefallbackcareerposition;youcanalways find work as a Nurse. Evenif youhave notworkedinthefield foryears, you can make adecentliving.Fewcollegecareerfields allow youthat same opportunityafterbeing outofyourcollegecareer field for8-15 years..
. . ..though, as with other professions, including aviation, there may be acontinuing education requirement that might need to be fulfilled beforea nurse is "current" again.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
. . ..though, as with other professions, including aviation, there may be acontinuing education requirement that might need to be fulfilled beforea nurse is "current" again.

Bob,

My mom's an RN an staying "current is required" $$ to be made in anything medical. The only problem Bob is; who the hell want to do the required schooling:)

Take Care

qmaster3 said:
My mom's an RN an staying "current is required" $$ to be made in anything medical. The only problem Bob is; who the hell want to do the required schooling . . . .
. . . . which would appear to disprove Yip's contention that one can pick up where one left off in nursing. Perhaps - but only after returning to school for a time.

Continuing ed is required in most professions. Lawyers have to take a certain amount of continuing ed classes annually to stay in license. A flight review is most certainly continuing ed. Semi-annual flight checks are a form of continuing ed.

So many people advocate getting a non-aviation degree as a fallback plan. But, if you think about it, there really are not many degree fields where one can pick up where one left off after college and get hired - unless one has experience in that field. That's fine, if one can get it. But, to quote Yip, if one wants to fly airplanes then one should fly airplanes. So, then, why not get an aviation degree if one wants to fly airplanes?

No matter what degree you hold, as long as the job description says,"college degree required or preferred" and it does not state which degree, and, assuming you reasonably meet the other requirements, you can apply for that job. So, any four-year degree can be a "fallback plan" - even an aviation degree.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:

Two years without continuous work or continuing education is the limit in most states. Technology is continually progressing, and it would be irresponsible to even TRY to practice as a nurse having not used the skills for 2 years.

One would hope that you're more familiar with the field of aviation than the field of nursing. :)

Only know about Nursing is what I see, I saw my sister go back into it a few years back after being out for 10 years raising her kids.

Latest resources

Back