Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Got another pigeon for ya, Yip

Carmelo_15 said:
I am Currently 14 and I am working on my PPL and from there I will go for my other ratings. But I am starting to think about what university I will attend. I know to get a Commercial Airline Pilot Job, You have to have a 4 year degree.
(d@mn straight!)
So could anybody give me some ideas on which universitys that would be good for me.
You are smart to realize the importance of the degree. There is one member of this forum, who hires on-demand freight pilots, who insists a college degree is unnecessary for a successful aviation career. Unnecessary? Perhaps, but extremely doubtful because you'll do better with it than without. Don't let anyone talk you out of going to college.

There are plenty of four-year schools you can consider. A lot depends on what you can afford and how far you want to travel from home. I know Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University well, having flight instructed there. It has campuses in Daytona Beach, Florida and Prescott, Arizona. It has an excellent - and expensive and sometimes frustrating - Aeronautical Sciences program. One of Riddle's primary rivals, University of North Dakota, has an excellent program. You can't go wrong by going to Purdue.

There are many good two-year aviation programs. You could earn your ratings and two-year degree, transfer to a four-year school and earn that degree in something other than aviation, and, all the while, flight instruct part-time. In so doing, you will have covered all the bases, especially the one where an aviation-only degree is not recommended, and have built some time by graduation.

Once more, don't let anyone talk you out of going to college. Good luck with your plans.

Yeah, I think I will get my ratings outside of school. Then get a non-avation 4 year degree at Purdue. Do any of you people fly for a regional or a major airline and can give me more advice.

Thanks

Carmelo_15 said:
Yeah, I think I will get my ratings outside of school. Then get a non-avation 4 year degree at Purdue. Do any of you people fly for a regional or a major airline and can give me more advice.

Thanks

I'm finishing up at Purdue now, it's a great school. PM me if you want more details or have specific questions.

Dont go to Riddle ( I am a Riddle grad, '93) or any of the other flight university. Don't even do a Tech Univ if you can help it. Go to a school like Perdue or Auburn, one that is a traditional college. You want the diversity because you will get fed up by thinking about and being around airplanes all the time. And the prescens of women really helps too. When I started at Riddle the ratio was 13:1 (that would be guys:girls) and of course we knew the first and last name of every female on campus.

College Degree not required

A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. If you are intent on going to college get a real degree that has a market value outside the cockpit. I.e. Engineering, Sciences, Math, Accounting, etc.

A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. If you are intent on going to college get a real degree that has a market value outside the cockpit. I.e. Engineering, Sciences, Math, Accounting, etc.

pilotyip said:
I was thinking about getting my degree in Phrenology...it has applications both in and out of aviation. With the 2007 hiring binge coming up, I'd be a "shoe in" at some airline's Human Resources department.

Carmelo said:
what about non-mormans like me...is it only a morman school.

No, that's why they call it Utah State University. Anyway, spell it right; mormon.

Mogus:

Go Aggies! I went there for a couple years, but ended up getting my aviation degree at another state institution further to the south (with a program bigger than yours!) In fact, I think I'm still on academic probation in the College of Business at USU. Accounting and crazy girls with issues will do that to you. Some great mt. biking in Logan Canyon though. Should have spent less time doing that instead of studying.

FN FAL:

Good one! I actually had to look that up. Funny, funny.

All:

In regards to the original question of which college to attend, the correct answer would be any, and that goes for degree programs as well. You'll probably save quite a bit of $$ by sticking with the state-run institutions, especially if you are a resident. That's what I did, and I'd do the same again. ERAU is cool, but it is very expensive, and in the end, you won't end up any better off than anyone else.

-Goose

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back