What Universitys Are Good for Future Pilots?? - Merged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Carmelo_15

What Universitys Are Good for Future Pilots??

I am Currently 14 and I am working on my PPL and from there I will go for my other ratings. But I am starting to think about what university I will attend. I know to get a Commercial Airline Pilot Job, You have to have a 4 year degree. So could anybody give me some ideas on which universitys that would be good for me.

Thanks

What Universitys Are Good for Future Pilots??

I am Currently 14 and I am working on my PPL and from there I will go for my other ratings. But I am starting to think about what university I will attend. I know to get a Commercial Airline Pilot Job, You have to have a 4 year degree. So could anybody give me some ideas on which universitys that would be good for me.

Thanks

You don't need a 4yr degree to get an airline pilot job. You will PROBABLY need one to get a job with a MAJOR airline, though. There are plenty of people who will retire at their "regional" airline job making six figures and who never had to worry about student loan payments...

I know there are people who work for majors that don't have degrees, but they are in the minority.

Some of the best-known flight programs are Embry-Riddle (East and West), UND, Florida Tech, and Purdue (and of course the military academies, but that's another ball of wax)... Though there are plenty of lesser-known programs, such as Ohio State, SUNY, Western Michigan, Auburn, Daniel Webster, etc. There's one out there for you, all you have to do is look.

Keep in mind, also, that you don't HAVE to go to an aviation-oriented university to be a pilot. In fact, it might be a better idea to get a general or specialized degree from a non-aviation school and get your ratings on the side (though most student loan programs won't cover the costs of training if it's not part of a college curriculum).

BTW- It's spelled "universities"

Yeah but by the time I get out of high school and through university don't you think that all airlines will require a 4 year degree?????

There are a good number of threads that argue whether or not a 4yr should be required... But when it comes down to it, you are shooting yourself in the foot if you deliberately avoid getting ANY degree and your intended destination is a major airline.

So to answer your question, YES, you might as well look at a 4yr degree as a "requirement" if you really want to work for a major.

The point is, it doesn't have to be an aviation university. I attended one, but I don't think that at the "major" level they really care if you went to Embry-Riddle or if you went to, say, Georgia Tech. If you finished, and if you had a decent GPA, it doesn't matter what you majored in or what school you went to (unless it's "Bob's University of Snow Skiiing and Taco Assembly" and you majored in "Getting through all the levels on Halo 2")

I think you opened a can of worms with this question... While some will say get a business degree at any college and fly part time, others will say colleges like UND and ERAU. The nice thing is the only way to find out what is right for you is to visit these places and see what YOU would like. There is no best way to go. If I had do do it all overagain and money was not an issue, I would go to UND or ERAU and study my arse off. JMO.

There are many schools that are aviailable. Southern Illinois, University of North Dakota, Embry Riddle, Central Missouri State just to name a few. My degree is aviation related. If I had it to do over though I would of went for a degree out of aviation and pursued the flight training separately. The aviation degree is not usualy neccesary for most flying jobs, any degree will work. Whether or not it's true, I feel a non aviation degree might help me out better if anything ever happens to my flying career. Just my quick opinion.

go to any accredited school and get your degree. be very wary of some advice on this board that suggests getting a degree is not necessary for a professional pilot career. A degree will help greatly, and be an asset you'll have regardless of where you go in your future.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back