• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Universitys Are Good for Future Pilots?? - Merged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Myself and Vnugget go to San Jose State in San Jose California. I'd be hard pressed to suggest it right now, however, as the department is in a lurch. We, the students, are trying our best to set the school straight but we're dealing with the entire Cal State system and it hasn't been easy. You can PM me for more info if you really want to know the whole story.

California also has some wacky law that means state schools can't have actual flight programs so all of your flying has to be done outside of school... which means it's cheaper generally so it's not such a bad thing except that your financial aid only covers it if you stretch it to cover it.

Go Spartans !!!

If you are in California then you should take a serious look at SJSU's Aviation program. They have a couple of options based on your area of preference; be it operations, maintenance, or management. I found it to be a decent base from which to begin a career as a pilot. The lack of school sponsored flight training is actually an opportunity. If you go there as a CFI then it is relatively easy to pick up students.

The advice to get a degree in something other than aviation has merit as well, but you need to be interested in the subject. College is hard enough to finish when you are studying something you like, let alone when you are studying something you don't have any interest in.

Typhoonpilot

Well since you're so young, about the time you'll get into college, Southern Illinois University should have it's new Transportation Education Center open. It really seems like it'll be a work of art. New buildings, sim rooms, 757 hangar...some cool stuff. I'll be graduating from SIU this May. I've instructed here for nearly 2 years now, so I know the program in and out. I've enjoyed every minute of it. Visit a bunch of schools and see what feels right. Get opinions from different people, but take it with a grain of salt. There are always a bunch of disgruntled people in the crowd.
Later

Carmelo_15 said:
I am Currently 14 and I am working on my PPL and from there I will go for my other ratings. But I am starting to think about what university I will attend. I know to get a Commercial Airline Pilot Job, You have to have a 4 year degree. So could anybody give me some ideas on which universitys that would be good for me.

Thanks

Hey buddy,

I know a lot of people on here don't like Embry-Riddle, but I'm attending the Prescott campus and am pretty happy with my decision (regardless as to whether or not I'm paying a LOT for it). Some may say that a degree is not necessary and that's true, but why rob yourself of furthering education? The program I'm in right now is pretty sweet. I'd suggest you go into it if you choose Embry-Riddle...it's called the Aeronautical Studies Program (ASP for short). You fulfill your basic requirements for a degree plus you choose 3 minors that are 15-18 credits...right now my minors are aeronautical science, aviation safety, and meteorology.

Aeronautical Studies courses include things like aerodynamics, turbine engines, airline operations...basically aviation-specific classes in science, management, etc.

Aviation Safety is a big interest of mine...some classes include safety program management and crash investigation.

Meteorology focuses on burning a hole in your brain for weather and related info. Right now I'm taking thunderstorms which is an entire semester on the development and forecasting of thunderstorms. There's also radar/satellite interpretation and weather available for air crews.

The way I see it, this program will suit me best. Flight training isn't done through Embry-Riddle for this major and it is a 4 year degree. Since flight training isn't done through Riddle, you can get it cheaper at some other place plus you have more free time. I'm taking it because if something were to happen to me and I couldn't continue as an airline pilot, I would have multiple doors still open to me rather than if I came out with ONLY a degree in Aeronautical Science.

Good luck!

pilotyip said:
A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. If you are intent on going to college get a real degree that has a market value outside the cockpit. I.e. Engineering, Sciences, Math, Accounting, etc.
At least Yip isn't altogether discouraging you from going to college in favor of flying.

Any college degree, as long as it is from an accredited college, has value. It lets you apply for any job in any field which requires or prefers <a college degree.>

If going to a "major" is your goal, I would put the degree on hold, get your ratings ASAP, possibly at ALL ATPS, Gulfstream, DAL Connection Academy.
After getting on with a 'regional", and getting the all important seniority number, you'll have plenty of time to get an online degree.
I flew at ASA about seven years ago, a guy was hired at age 21, had 1.5 years of college. I would guess he is now in the upper 25 percent of seniority list, and enjoying all the benefits of a good seniority number.

It takes alot of dedication but a regional,is probably where you'll be headed for a while.
By the time you have a degree, you'll have the experience to move "up" to a major.

I have never encouraged a person not to go to college. I have only said you can succeed as pilot without a 4-yr degree.

pilotyip said:
I have never encouraged a person not to go to college. I have only said you can succeed as pilot without a 4-yr degree.

I can give you examples of pilots hired at FedEx without ATPs, but I wouldn't recommend anyone try that.

if you're down in the deep south then louisiana tech's got a pretty good program. new aircraft, buildings etc.... you get out of it what you put in, but isn't that the case with all training. oh, and you will have PLENTY of time to study in scenic ruston.

pilotyip said:
You have written many times, Yip, if one wants to fly airplanes that one should fly airplanes. You have written that "TJPIC" gets one the job. You have stated that going to college delays the obtaining of "TJPIC" and that putting off college in favor of obtaining "TJPIC" early is your recommended career path. And, yes, you have said that one can succeed without a four-year degree.

In making these statements, your subliminal message, to young people, especially, is clear. Your message is college is unnecessary. There is no other conclusion to be drawn. Although you suggest earning an online degree, for most people that becomes increasingly difficult with age and added family and professional responsibilities. Meaning, it becomes less likely that someone will go back to college as he/she gets older. Although you don't come right out and say it, you are discouraging people not to go to college. To discourage anyone from going to college, under any circumstances, is wrong and irresponsible.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back