• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Others Think of the DAL MEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Our MEC, that often has internal strife over residual issues from the last merger, was unanimous in saying "no way" to DALPA's last SLI position.

Interersting. Residual internal strife, the product of an arbitrated award. AAA/AWA also have strife, the product of an arbitrated award. Yet we Delta pilots have integrated PAA pilots and Western pilots without that internal strife. The product of a negotiated awards.

You said "no way" to the option afforded by the transaction framework agreement. That's cool. We respect that. Move on. We did, and we crafted an LOA with our own leverage.

Moak categorically rejected expedited arbitration.

What is expedited arbitration? Where is it defined? Is it in our contract? Is it in yours? Why should we? Why should you? Isn't arbitration for losers?

Sorry, but that speaks volumes.

It speaks volumes about an MEC with common sense, that is not afraid to negotiate an award and stand by it.

ALPA merger policy has its procedures for a reason. It's in our contract, since we were unable to capture the value pre announcement of the merger, as outlined in the transaction framework agreement, we have ALPA policy. Let's follow that path. Hopefully to a negotiated outcome.

I'll concede you guys have had your talking points and PR down from day one, but it's not going to be decided here or in the press.

We have been focused and prepared since day one. We weren't going to lose an opportunity to capture value due to an inability of our respective MECs to reach a negotiated result on SLI.

Ultimately you will come to the same conclusion we have, that the road forward is to enter into joint contract negotiations. The sooner the better. If you pretend there is no timeline to capture value, like you did with the TFA, you'll be left out in the cold again. That's not a threat, that's reality. Believe it or not, the whole world doesn't stop and wait for you to make a decision.

Fins your a level headed guy I can tell. I guess all I can say here how do you know we took the easy way out? You sure it wasn't your guys. From my understanding we got to a point where no-one would move. Then arbitrate. Isn't that what we ask for? So who step away from the binding arbitration.

Now we have lost that old contract and we are back to arbitration. DALPA MEC appears to have divided the two side because of siding with mngmt. So who has caused more harm to the combined pilot group?

So, if someone has a weaker case, and knows it, they shouldn't negotiate so there could be a chance to abritrate it and MAYBE win anyway? They kept the pension, had a lot of older planes, worse bases, and would get a pay raise along with losing their boss that hates them. Hmmmmmm. I guess that is NOT good enough. Let's roll the dice and hopefully win something with someone who really doesn't care, and if we lose we can blame it on them!! A win win.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I disagree veiw period. Why did you go into a rant? It was meant to be a calmly asked question. Nothing more. You've stated your point and it has some merit in areas but I disagree with it. Have you been furloughed? I doubt it because of your posted time.

I don't expect much but I don't feel that I should be junior to someone hired a month ago.

When USAir and AWA had arbitration, the arbitrator put the bottom USAir guy at the time at the bottom of the list next to the bottom AWA guy, even though he had 17 years at USAir. If you are in the bottom 1%, of one company, you should be in the bottom 1% when merged with a like sized company. (hey, we are even bigger than you guys). That is called relative seniority. Nicalau saw it, and any other arbitrator will also likely see it that way. Add in there that your DC9s are the smallest mainline plane between the two airlines, and the first planes that would continue to get parked if oil continues to rise, then it would make sense also.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The ALPA Reps are starting to come out and talk. One surprise was that apparently Delta is NOT in favor of arbitration and not going there. They dispute the comments made by the NWA MEC in their communication and add color to say the NWA made some assumptions. The absence of a "no" to arbitration should not be interpreted as a "yes."

Point being - please disregard my post on "arbitration" versus "expedited arbitration" since although you think you knew what I meant, I in fact did not know what I was writing about. :)

The better option is a negotiated resolution, I think we all know that. The lines of communications between our MEC's are OPEN.

My natural inclination is to be suspicious of any actions by a fellow MEC that compel them to hire a PR firm to sell to the membership.
What if the MEC has superior information?

No line pilot wants to be merged. However, the train was leaving the station and the choices were to get on board or be left behind.

The NWA pilots' representatives made a decision that left money on the table. I'm not going to pass judgement on their decision from a NWA perspective, but the decision probably helped the Delta pilots. Of course, I should not write that because the long term truth is, we need to work this out and work together.

Last edited:
My natural inclination is to be suspicious of any actions by a fellow MEC that compel them to hire a PR firm to sell to the membership.

My natural inclination is to be suspicious of a fellow MEC that is suspicious of itself and spent the better part of 2 decades fighting each other.

But to each his own.

Any idea how the NWALPA voting member on the NWA BODs voted on the merger?

This was forwarded to me written by a CAL pilot:

During the strike of 98' (DAL pilots ask CMR how to spell it) we had the saying "A lie is half way the world before the truth gets it's boots on"

The truth is getting it's boots on, and DALPA is going to look like the weak dick Bendict Arnolds they are IMO.

That statement was made on a internal CAL Forum...ow did it make it here? Hum...

Dalpa has been boning CMR for years. They were just waiting for the BIG FISH! That's why we slapped the RJDC on them. I guess ALPA will stand back and watch as usual..

Dalpa has been boning CMR for years. They were just waiting for the BIG FISH! That's why we slapped the RJDC on them. I guess ALPA will stand back and watch as usual..

:rolleyes: That helps

Meanwhile the local politicians come out of a meeting with Ed Bastian and say things like "we hope Comair's long association with Delta Air Lines continues" what does that mean?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back