• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Others Think of the DAL MEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The new letter to NWA pilots promised specifics about recent events, yet delivered nothing (in terms of facts) not already publicly known by everyone, yet plenty of their own opinions. Nothing whatsoever was specifically mentioned about their SLI proposal, nor did they deny their asinine "premium widebody" and phantom 787 based super seniority fantasy ultimatum. They then proceded to blame the Delta pilots for ramming a SLI down their throats, when the Delta LOA doesn't or can't force them to accept anything other than whatever they would have been willing to negotiate anyway. They accuse Delta pilots of being traitors, yet they expected the Delta pilots to use what little unique contractual resistance they had (over and above what is standard in any ALPA contract) to help facilitate their own raping of the Delta pilot seniority list. Nice.

So the Delta pilots recognise a USAir North/South fight brewing no matter what, and at least get a portion of the equity stake the NWA pilot leadership squandered for both groups with their all or nothing super seniority demands to begin with.

The merger was happening anyway, and the NWA contract was dramatically worse than the Delta contract. The better of the two contracts was going to be the floor for a combined contract anyway, so raising it up, even if by a little, helps both groups. The B scale rhetoric is laughable. Even without LOA19 the NWA contract was already a B scale. Either way they will get raises and now when a SLI is reached they will get bigger raises.

Their super seniority pipe dream is simply not going to happen, no matter what. Everyone agrees on one thing though, better off without the merger than to get steamrolled by another pilot group's arrogance.

I'll try and make it simple for you -

NWA pilots have had to fight tooth and nail for years for every scrap of contract and to have the contract we do have honored.

So has everyone else sport. What part of your contract, that you fought tooth and nail for" was not honored."

Moak (and I'll concede this is not all DAL pilots) has sided with DAL management + NWA management to disadvantage our bargaining position and to impose your "fair" SLI on us, to acheive through duplicty what was stalled at the negotiating table.

SLI was not negotiated. The Delta pilots negotiated a LOA with their management because the Delta pilots preserved vital sections of their contract at great cost. The NWA pilots had different priorities. No one asked the NWA pilots for relief because none was needed. You had already conceded it.

The manager you decided to trust is the same one that spent the aforementioned years trying to screw the NWA pilots.

Trust has nothing to do with it. That's why it's a contract, not a hand shake.

I think you will end up regretting that choice.

Thanks for the lecture, but at the end of the day it is an LOA between DAL pilots and DAL management based on the leverage we brought to the transaction. It's a pay raise, equity, and some furlough and whipsaw protection. If you want to wonder why you weren't included in this LOA, look to your own MEC and your own contract.

Last edited:
See.. more needless "Stick-poking". How about this? When one group actually successfully screws the other group, then we can have a fist-fight (ok, the General can resort to fingernail scratching and hair pulling). Until then, perhaps we could actually direct our anger and frustration towards the appropriate people (hint... NOT other pilots)

Whatever, you guys go at it. I'm done with slinging mud for now, because it only serves the people who stand to gain by dividing us (hint again... NOT other pilots).

I think if you have two brain cells to rub together you realize it's a pretty safe bet to believe the NW "negotiating team" fugged this up.

And now the political damage control method is to 'oppose the merger'.

The biggest true difference between the two company cultures has already reared it's ugly head:

The Labor/ Management relationship.

Delta pilots met a road block and went around it because they have communication with their management.

that particular maneuver is impossible at NWA.

I lose more confidence in this place everyday.

Did anyone really believe the DAL pilots would look out for someone other than themselves? The world revolves around them....just ask them.....

I'm just surprised at how many people are surprised....This is how ALPA is set up....

Did anyone really believe the DAL pilots would look out for someone other than themselves? The world revolves around them....just ask them.....

I'm just surprised at how many people are surprised....This is how ALPA is set up....

Until there is one national seniority list wouldn't you expect your MEC to look out for you and only you? What was our MEC suppose to do, give up pay raises, equity, and contract improvements over the next 4 years just so the disfunctional NWA MEC would be happy? If they wanted pay raises and equity, they knew what they needed to do to get it. They didn't do it and until we see what the SLI proposals were, we really can't say who screwed who here. This can still all work out fine, it will just take alot longer and that is what the Delta MEC was doing with the LOA is getting us something while we spend the next couple of years working this out. I hope that someday everyone will get along, but that's probably not gonna be the case.

I think if you have two brain cells to rub together you realize it's a pretty safe bet to believe the NW "negotiating team" fugged this up.

And now the political damage control method is to 'oppose the merger'.

The biggest true difference between the two company cultures has already reared it's ugly head:

The Labor/ Management relationship.

Delta pilots met a road block and went around it because they have communication with their management.

that particular maneuver is impossible at NWA.

I lose more confidence in this place everyday.

There's still work to be done for all of "us". We can work together on negotiating a joint contract, or we can pretend there is no timeline and let events unfold without "us".

There are three types of pilots. Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who say "what happened." Let's try to be the ones who make things happen.

You can't get there pretending the whole world will wait on you or court you, or by negotiating in the rear view mirror, looking at opportunities that have already passed you by.

Obviously you didn't use your abundance of brain cells to pick up the phone and talk to your Reps about what DALPA was actually proposing. Either that or your Rep has the initials JS and you have a 3 digit or better seniority number.

This is what our reps told us they (DALPA) was actually proposing. Relative seniority whereby all pilots from both airlines would maintain there previous RS within 1-2%. Do you think that is unfair? Did you know that DAL has almost Twice the widebodies of NWA? So at the same relative seniority, NWA pilots would hold closer to widebody at the merged DAL then at NWA. Do you agree with this?

We were told NWALPA wanted the first 400-500 positions for themselves and the last 2000 positions to go to DAL pilots. Is this what you know to be true?

Obviously you didn't use your abundance of brain cells to pick up the phone and talk to your Reps about what DALPA was actually proposing. Either that or your Rep has the initials JS and you have a 3 digit or better seniority number.

Dude...after the BK road show Armageddon prediction...and what ACTUALLY went down...all I hear these days is Bwaa Ba Bwaa Ba Bwaa Bwaa Bwaa (like the Charlie Brown cartoon phone character) when it comes to NW intel.

You wanna believe it? Go righta head.

Latest resources

Back