• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is your "oh Sh*t" moment?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's turning into a thread of pointless bickering and bashing. If someone doesn't stop it, it will develop furthur.

If I wanted to goto a thread where everyone questions one another, with a bunch of know it alls, I would goto airliners.net. We are all pilots here, I would bet my medical there it at least a little embellishment out everyone of us in this forum.

Last edited:
Thats my point! Get the nit wit to quit posting the babble and we will quit bashing. An open invitation for Jedi to list the time and place of her next seminar, then you can all go and draw your own conclusions. The thing is, ShawnC, I do not want a newbie to tune in and think that some of the things Jedi says are gosple. To embellish is just drama. It is not need here.

antinein, get a life!

Hey antinein, if Jedi Nein should be considered as irrelevant as you say she should be, why are you going to so much trouble? For crying out loud, man, you even changed your screen name to be her opposite!

Is your sense of well being (avition skill, flying ability, manliness...) SO affected by her that you have to identify yourself as her contradiction??

Freud would have a field day with you.

You're killing me!

Give her a break! Find something else to get worked up over!

maybe Anti Nein has gone a bit overboard on hounding Jedi, but she is a bit annoying.... "and then i was like... omigod... i was just in the middle of a teaching a very interesting subject, and then, like, i looked out and thats when i noticed... an imminent wing failure! i rushed for the window, and like then i thought i know what i'll do!... so i reached for my radio and talked him through a knife edge landing (i have done a few in my 750 hours) and then i thought, like that was sooo dreamy!.... tee hee! just another day around this place... oops, time for my daily affirmation! By the way, did you check out my great website http://pages.prodigy.net/jedinein/ ... its like so informative, and even approved by my doggie!"

Last edited:
Personally, i've found that the scary things in aviation are when you do something in an aircraft that is supposed to produce a desired effect, and that doesn't happen. i.e. We train for emergencies all the time. First time I lost an engine in a twin, I was suprised and "awfully concerned" shall we say, but we did the procedure and things worked out. One thing that I can recall that has really actually scared me so far is this story:

Teaching a CFI candidate- today we're doing the spin training flight, C-152, nice clear day. Climb up to around 6500 ft, I demonstrate a couple, then have the student try a few. We discuss some ways to accidentally get in a spin, etc. and he asks if I can show something more along the lines of a developed spin, since we've only had a few rather sedate ones so far. "Sure," I say.

I start a power off entry at about 6700 feet, and we drop into a left spin. One, two, three, four turns, it's not a really developed spin, but it's close, with a decent rotation rate. I apply controls to recover and...

Hmm...i'm sitting here with Right Rudder and forward elevator and...we're still spinning to the left. Not good. Not at all. Five, six, seven turns... I have to confess, for a moment I considered that I might not make it back from this flight, the first time that's ever happened to me.

Looking back at it now, I have to grin slightly. Afterward, my student told me that he didn't know I was trying to recover right away. He said, "I didn't know anything was wrong until you yelled 'HOLY S***!' in the airplane." That, I found out, is a good way to scare your flight students.

We probably ended up doing between 3 and 6 more turns before the airplane recovered, I really don't know how many. I did notice that there was a horizon at the top of the windscreen at one point--we were going towards a flat spin. I do remember pushing forward even more on the yoke and we ended up slowly coming out of the spin at around 3300 feet. Strangest spin exit I ever felt, and I've done lots of spins. Rotation stopped with the nose about 8 degrees below the horizon (vs. +40 degrees down in a normal spin) and a slight left bank.

We never did figure out why that happened. We were within weight and balance, did all normal procedures. About the only thing that might have contributed that I can remember is that I might not have pushed the yoke far enough forward on the initial recovery attempt. I now tell students during spin training, "Get that yoke FORWARD on recovery, don't just bring it up slightly."

Karma police are watching, my nizzles...

Anywho, I'll add to this, tew...

25 hours or so into my Private, my CFI has me go out to practice. I don't think he ever specifically said "No stalls", he was a laid back kind of guy, and I didn't really check .. :) So I went up to about 25 hundred and did a couple of them, and then grew bigger balls all of a sudden. Decided to do a power on, and that's when it bit me...Classical, correcting with the ailerons and not enough right rudder kind of a deal (I didn't understand it all that good back then, too young I guess) Anywho, next thing I see is a lot of brown and my cheecks are sliding back over to where my ears are :eek!: Recovered at about 500 AGL or so, didn't fly for two weeks. Tell your students not to do this kind of sh!t by themselves, please

Latest resources

Back